Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Have we discussed garage hand cleaner ?

Hello garage warriors 😁 let's discuss hand cleaners . For the longest time I have used DL brand hand cleaner , always liked it and it works . I have a dispenser somewhere in moving boxes that accepts the large container . I just used up the last that I had .

I see it is still available but now there are lots of brands that are citrus based like orange or cherry . There is smooth with no pumice and grainy with pumice . I do have disposable gloves but I tend to sweat a river in those .

So what are you using that works well and that you like ? With or without pumice ? I need to purchase some pretty soon . Thanks in advance

Old 06-26-2020, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Kresto.

I talked to several professional mechanics, they each used the Kresto. It works really well on my hands, and it is not stinky at all.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 06-26-2020, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

GOJO Natural Orange Pumice works for me.

But for the heck of it...I tried changing it up with something called "Cherry Bomb," (a Zep product) and, well...so much for the heck of it!
Old 06-26-2020, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Dawn dishwashing soap and a fingernail brush when needed.

I do try to wear shop gloves more these days especially since my skin doesn’t take the abuse the way it used to.

My glove of choice: https://www.fullsource.com/pip-34-876/

Last edited by David; 06-26-2020 at 08:50 AM..
Old 06-26-2020, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK-944 View Post

But for the heck of it...I tried changing it up with something called "Cherry Bomb," (a Zep product) and, well...so much for the heck of it!
What didn't you like about the cherry bomb ? Didn't clean well ?
Old 06-26-2020, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Gojo Natural Orange here.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK-944 View Post
I usually get ^this^ too if I need some. It works well. I also use nitrile gloves which helps keep your hands a bit cleaner too.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 06-26-2020, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Counterclockwise?

Garage
Soap and water
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 06-26-2020, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post
I usually get ^this^ too if I need some. It works well. I also use nitrile gloves which helps keep your hands a bit cleaner too.
I refuse to wear gloves and I can prove it. I hate the sensation.

I use the Gojo Orange Pumice.

Have used the Zep Cherry Bomb. Meh. Just not the cutting strength of the Gojo orange.

When home I wash again at the kitchen sink with Dawn and one of those nylon brillo-pads. 75% Gojo, 20% Dawn and 5% remains. Takes two-three days of no wrenching to get the last 5% off.

Last edited by Bob Kontak; 06-26-2020 at 09:41 AM..
Old 06-26-2020, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

GoJo original in the pink dispenser. I don't like the pumice.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Orange GOJO for me too.

IIRC they used to make one that is creamy with no pumice, which feels very silky on the hands. I think that one worked very well, also.

I also have a container of Boraxo by my kitchen sink that gets use periodically.

Old 06-26-2020, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
This is the original GOJO.....no pumice...white in color.......

Old 06-26-2020, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
Kresto.

I talked to several professional mechanics, they each used the Kresto. It works really well on my hands, and it is not stinky at all.
This is the best, no contest. They all work, for better or worse but the European stuff is so much better. Cleans better and doesnít take off a layer of skin. Disposable gloves are really necessary though, IMO, for keeping harmful chemicals from entering your body through the skin and going straight to your liver. If you work on machinery frequently, like me, itís pretty standard these days.

GoJo works but itís crap compared to the good stuff.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
fancytown

My garage cost me enough. I can't afford a "garage hand".
Old 06-26-2020, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Make sure you flush the pumice stuff down very well. A couple local shops have had issues with it clogging their traps and no longer use it.

At home, I use the plain old GoJo.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

I use olive oil. But you can also use corn or vegetable oil as well. It's safe and cheap. It wipes off the gunk on your hands easily and moisturizes it too. Apply some on your hands first if you need to.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
For just oil and grease and plain ol dirt on a car I go without gloves. My hands sweat like crazy with gloves on and they will be so wet that sweat drips out of the gloves. I hate it, so no gloves for most things. When I get out the grease gun to lube the front end on the El Camino, yep gloves. Any brake fluid, gasoline, brake cleaner and all the other chemicals, I put up with gloves.

When draining oil, or the oil filter, I glove up. So I go through a lot of gloves, but I hate wearing them.

And I wash my hands a lot, not just at the end of the project.

I used the fast orange and all the other common hand cleaners in the past. Once I tried the Kresto, I disposed of the other hand cleaners as I was not going back to them.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 06-26-2020, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper35 View Post
Make sure you flush the pumice stuff down very well. A couple local shops have had issues with it clogging their traps and no longer use it.

At home, I use the plain old GoJo.
The plain stuff is hard to find these days (granted, I haven't expended much energy trying).
Old 06-26-2020, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Most places around here carry it. The one in the bathroom was $1.97.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

it sounds like Pelican needs to carry the Kresto stuff.

Old 06-26-2020, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: