Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Well, Iím now outside my comfort-zone. I bought a small boat. (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/1066659-well-i-m-now-outside-my-comfort-zone-i-bought-small-boat.html)

vash 07-07-2020 04:15 PM

Well, Iím now outside my comfort-zone. I bought a small boat.

I pulled the trigger. It fit easily in the back of my Tacoma. I will put it on top as well for the drives to further destinations.

Iím ready for the most part. I need to build a stand with wheels so I can move it about my garage as needed. (Weekend project). I have the castor wheels. Space is a luxury for sure in my tiny 2-car garage. I refuse to push my wifeís car outside, EVER. Not with my hobby stuff. She us a great lady and I want her to get garage space.

I am waiting for my life jacket to arrive. Maybe Thursday.
Then!...
I need to get it into shallow water so I can jump out and try to pull myself back in. Practice makes perfect. Then spool up some baitcast reels and time to chase fish. Iíll stay out of the ocean until Iím really comfortable. there is a 33 acre golf course lake/pond Iíll hit up all the time. Is really close. Maybe a 5 min drive from my house.

The boat.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1594167234.jpg
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1594167234.jpg

cabmando 07-07-2020 04:18 PM

I'll have to see if I can get you some pics of the foldable outriggers my nephew made for his. He's not a strong swimmer so he wanted to make his tip proof, or as tip proof as it can be anyhow.

look 171 07-07-2020 04:27 PM

Can you mount a trolling motor in that? I winder if they make one? After a long day getting sun beaten, Pedaling back would not be too much fun.

vash 07-07-2020 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by look 171 (Post 10937187)
Can you mount a trolling motor in that? I winder if they make one? After a long day getting sun beaten, Pedaling back would not be too much fun.

They do. Itís more expensive than the boat. Iíll pedal. With VIGOR. :)

onewhippedpuppy 07-07-2020 04:35 PM

Nice!

ckelly78z 07-07-2020 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by look 171 (Post 10937187)

They make specific ones that are for kayaks. You can, however, make your own by cutting down the shaft of a used trolling motor, and mounting it outboard.

https://tandemkayakreport.com/importance-of-trolling-motors-on-kayaks/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OvMNgadi48

fred cook 07-07-2020 04:36 PM

It is said that the two happiest days for a boat owner is the first one and the last one! My wife had an uncle that was a boat guy. He started out with a used canoe and had a 40 foot cruiser just before he passed away! The story of getting from the canoe to the cruiser took several beers to tell! So, just kick back and let the good times roll!

vash 07-07-2020 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fred cook (Post 10937202)
It is said that the two happiest days for a boat owner is the first one and the last one! My wife had an uncle that was a boat guy. He started out with a used canoe and had a 40 foot cruiser just before he passed away! The story of getting from the canoe to the cruiser took several beers to tell! So, just kick back and let the good times roll!

Haha. Love to hear that story someday.

Truth be told; my wife was cool with a bass-boat purchase. Soon.

But there is no way I want a full size boat. Storage, registration, bigger truck. No thanks! My friends have bass boats. Only one guy goes regularly and he pays to have it stored at the water. He has a service that puts the boat in the water for him, then put it up. He only ever fishes the Delta. The Other guys that tow; they never go.

My brother has a bass boat. He kayak-fishes 10 to 1. A bass boat is too much. For me.

tevake 07-07-2020 04:54 PM

Good score there Vash. Those Hobies are a little heavy but so stable on the water, and the peddle drive is really cool engineering and work so well you will love it.

They are also very solid hulls that should last you for many years.

My brother has one and can troll and sight cast at the same time.

Looking forward to your stories of the first outings, and first fish caught.

Cheers Richard

Ps Hobie makes fat tires that mount thru the scupper holes that make moving it around singlehanded very easy, even across the beach.
Oh they also make a nice insulated zip up bag that fits well in the back section of the boat, you can stock it with ice and a couple of drinks, then slip your catch into it.

stealthn 07-07-2020 04:56 PM

Itís not a boat, itís a kayak.

Get a proper life jacket with lots of arm room for paddling. Get a proper knife that you can mount to your lifejacket if you plan on fishing. Bite the bullet and spend the money on a carbon Fibre paddle.

Thatís all

vash 07-07-2020 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stealthn (Post 10937229)
Itís not a boat, itís a kayak.

Get a proper life jacket with lots of arm room for paddling. Get a proper knife that you can mount to your lifejacket if you plan on fishing. Bite the bullet and spend the money on a carbon Fibre paddle.

Thatís all

True! But

BOAT (NOUN) a vessel for transport by water, constructed to provide buoyancy by excluding water and shaped to give stability and permit propulsion.

I just had a similar (fun) debate when a friend said, ďthat not an axe - itís a hatchetĒ.

Iíd argue (for fun) that a kayak is a type of boat.

billybek 07-07-2020 05:12 PM

I had a problem with one elbow when paddling and remedied that with a very expensive Werner carbon fiber bent shaft paddle.
It always seems that the solution to a sporting problem is money.

stealthn 07-07-2020 05:12 PM

Fine Vash,

You want semantics? :D

You “said” your friend was giving it to you for free...so “bought” is click-bait :P

��

wswartzwel 07-07-2020 05:37 PM

Cool. Looks like a great way to get to the fish.

vash 07-07-2020 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stealthn (Post 10937250)
Fine Vash,

You want semantics? :D

You ďsaidĒ your friend was giving it to you for free...so ďboughtĒ is click-bait :P

��

:). The free kayak was not suitable for fishing. No rod holders even.

So I didnít take it. I went another direction and bought a kayak.

tevake 07-07-2020 06:11 PM

A sleak lightweight paddle is great for tireless fast paddleing. A friend let me use his resently and it was light as a feather, super nice. I was paddleing my light 10' pelican river kayak, and gave it back quickly before getting totally spoiled, it was that nice, but it did cost $700.

But the standard Hobie one works fine for the little paddleing done with the foot powered unit in these Hobies, they just serve as auxillery power
When getting off the beach or thru some underwater obstacles, most of the time it is bungied to the side of the boat and foot power is used.
These are really quite different from normal kayaks.
Specifically designed for fishing, wider, more stable, using foot power leaving hands free for fishing.
Perfect for Vash's kayak fishing goal!

Cheers Richard

Evans, Marv 07-07-2020 09:51 PM

Cliff. Search for "garage storage pulley systems" on Amazon. I had one of these when I had my kayak (though not from Amazon at the time). Works well if you want to store your kayak out of the way in the garage. I had two - one for my kayak & the other for my mountain bike. Just another option.

Tishabet 07-08-2020 12:37 AM

Those mirage drive hobies are really neat and make a formidable fishing platform, I fish a ton in Puget Sound and sure seems like there is a small army of kayak fishermen who I see when I am out there.

I give you a month before you're outfitting a downrigger and chasing salmon out in the salt :D

cabmando 07-08-2020 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vash (Post 10937195)
They do. It’s more expensive than the boat. I’ll pedal. With VIGOR. :)

Mental note: Send Vash the pic of the trolling motor mount my nephew also built.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vash (Post 10937303)
:). The free kayak was not suitable for fishing. No rod holders even.

So I didn’t take it. I went another direction and bought a kayak.

Secondary note: Should have just sent Vash a pic of my nephew's setup. He also built rod holders. He bought a bare Kayak and started making stuff for it. This isn't halfassed stuff either. He takes a lot of pride in how his fishing gear looks.

Tobra 07-08-2020 04:40 AM

Spend a lot on your paddle.

I like the used trolling motor idea. That would greatly increase the utility, especially on a river. It is designed to push a bigger boat. Bet it would be fast and you could run hard all day

Shifter 07-08-2020 07:48 AM

Here is a neat take on adding a motor to a kayak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNtvwc6kk_s

GH85Carrera 07-08-2020 08:14 AM

So you have a boat, motorcycle, cars, wife, dog, guns, knives, and other hobbies. Yep, next you need an airplane and a snowmobile. ;)

aigel 07-08-2020 10:05 AM

Congrats! And good job on the camo, maybe can go after some ducks & geese in it too! rod holder = shotgun holder! :D

Don't let anyone talk you into adding a motor. Fishing is not very physical in itself, so it will be nice to be propelling yourself. The older I get, the more I look for hobbies that have some physical component. One reason I don't track drive as much anymore. It is a weekend of sitting around where I could be on my bike, diving, hiking etc.

G

aigel 07-08-2020 10:06 AM

One more thing, can you send the specs / link to manufacturers website? It does look very intriguing! :)

vash 07-08-2020 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aigel (Post 10938014)
One more thing, can you send the specs / link to manufacturers website? It does look very intriguing! :)

G, here you go.

its not the top of the line one, but very similar hull, less bells, less whistles. same capabilities.

https://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-compass/

Hobie makes duck hunting components. shotgun mounts, decoy stuff. etc. the slope is slippery for sure.

Seahawk 07-11-2020 08:20 AM

From the Salvador Dali line of kayaks:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1594484337.jpg

dad911 07-11-2020 09:33 AM

Got it, it's 'Captain Vash' from now on.....

Scott Douglas 07-11-2020 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seahawk (Post 10941883)
From the Salvador Dali line of kayaks:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1594484337.jpg

You think the heat did that?

tevake 07-11-2020 10:01 AM

Those plastic moulded boats are flexible. And do soften in hot sun, but that is wild.

I have an old town canoe that needs support if sticking out the back of my pickup.
I use one of those that extend out of the hitch receiver. Gives it enough support to keep it from bending over the back of the tailgate.

Cheers Richard

Seahawk 07-11-2020 10:36 AM

He/she needed to do two things at a minimum:

Put the tailgate down. I have driven across country four times with my Perception in the back of my small Toyota trucks. Gear fits around the boat, easy tie-off from the tailgate latches on the truck that support the boat about six inches above the nose of the boat.

Perfect.

Turn the boat around, all the weight was over the tailgate.

My Dad, who taught me how to kayak, was a load master since our early boats were fiberglass. He probably mentioned the physics involved but those references were perhaps lost on me:cool:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1594492574.jpg

vash 07-13-2020 07:49 AM

my maiden voyage was fun! short but fun. in my excitement i forgot to pack water. i literally packed the kayak, my PFD, sunglasses and hat.

no sunscreen, no water. it floats!! and it is pretty fast. way faster than me with paddles.

i went to our busiest lake, just in case i fell overboard. help was nearby. bonus. i saw more paddleboarders than ever. the official Santa Rosa Ca female paddle board outfit is a butt-crack bikini. totally outrageous. i did multiple drive-by maneuvers to test the boats agility.

jyl 07-13-2020 10:03 AM

But no pics . . . not a good PPOTer