Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
Well, I知 now outside my comfort-zone. I bought a small boat.

I pulled the trigger. It fit easily in the back of my Tacoma. I will put it on top as well for the drives to further destinations.

I知 ready for the most part. I need to build a stand with wheels so I can move it about my garage as needed. (Weekend project). I have the castor wheels. Space is a luxury for sure in my tiny 2-car garage. I refuse to push my wife痴 car outside, EVER. Not with my hobby stuff. She us a great lady and I want her to get garage space.

I am waiting for my life jacket to arrive. Maybe Thursday.
Then!...
I need to get it into shallow water so I can jump out and try to pull myself back in. Practice makes perfect. Then spool up some baitcast reels and time to chase fish. I値l stay out of the ocean until I知 really comfortable. there is a 33 acre golf course lake/pond I値l hit up all the time. Is really close. Maybe a 5 min drive from my house.

The boat.

Old 07-07-2020, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
I'll have to see if I can get you some pics of the foldable outriggers my nephew made for his. He's not a strong swimmer so he wanted to make his tip proof, or as tip proof as it can be anyhow.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Can you mount a trolling motor in that? I winder if they make one? After a long day getting sun beaten, Pedaling back would not be too much fun.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
Can you mount a trolling motor in that? I winder if they make one? After a long day getting sun beaten, Pedaling back would not be too much fun.
They do. It痴 more expensive than the boat. I値l pedal. With VIGOR.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Nice!
Old 07-07-2020, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
They make specific ones that are for kayaks. You can, however, make your own by cutting down the shaft of a used trolling motor, and mounting it outboard.

https://tandemkayakreport.com/importance-of-trolling-motors-on-kayaks/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OvMNgadi48
Old 07-07-2020, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
It is said that the two happiest days for a boat owner is the first one and the last one! My wife had an uncle that was a boat guy. He started out with a used canoe and had a 40 foot cruiser just before he passed away! The story of getting from the canoe to the cruiser took several beers to tell! So, just kick back and let the good times roll!
Old 07-07-2020, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred cook View Post
It is said that the two happiest days for a boat owner is the first one and the last one! My wife had an uncle that was a boat guy. He started out with a used canoe and had a 40 foot cruiser just before he passed away! The story of getting from the canoe to the cruiser took several beers to tell! So, just kick back and let the good times roll!
Haha. Love to hear that story someday.

Truth be told; my wife was cool with a bass-boat purchase. Soon.

But there is no way I want a full size boat. Storage, registration, bigger truck. No thanks! My friends have bass boats. Only one guy goes regularly and he pays to have it stored at the water. He has a service that puts the boat in the water for him, then put it up. He only ever fishes the Delta. The Other guys that tow; they never go.

My brother has a bass boat. He kayak-fishes 10 to 1. A bass boat is too much. For me.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Good score there Vash. Those Hobies are a little heavy but so stable on the water, and the peddle drive is really cool engineering and work so well you will love it.

They are also very solid hulls that should last you for many years.

My brother has one and can troll and sight cast at the same time.

Looking forward to your stories of the first outings, and first fish caught.

Cheers Richard

Ps Hobie makes fat tires that mount thru the scupper holes that make moving it around singlehanded very easy, even across the beach.
Oh they also make a nice insulated zip up bag that fits well in the back section of the boat, you can stock it with ice and a couple of drinks, then slip your catch into it.

Last edited by tevake; 07-07-2020 at 05:05 PM..
Old 07-07-2020, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
It'll be legen-waitforit

It痴 not a boat, it痴 a kayak.

Get a proper life jacket with lots of arm room for paddling. Get a proper knife that you can mount to your lifejacket if you plan on fishing. Bite the bullet and spend the money on a carbon Fibre paddle.

That痴 all
Gone: 79 911SC, 83 944, 05 Cayenne Turbo
Old 07-07-2020, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthn View Post
It痴 not a boat, it痴 a kayak.

Get a proper life jacket with lots of arm room for paddling. Get a proper knife that you can mount to your lifejacket if you plan on fishing. Bite the bullet and spend the money on a carbon Fibre paddle.

That痴 all
True! But

BOAT (NOUN) a vessel for transport by water, constructed to provide buoyancy by excluding water and shaped to give stability and permit propulsion.

I just had a similar (fun) debate when a friend said, 鍍hat not an axe - it痴 a hatchet.

I壇 argue (for fun) that a kayak is a type of boat.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
UnRegistered User

Garage
I had a problem with one elbow when paddling and remedied that with a very expensive Werner carbon fiber bent shaft paddle.
It always seems that the solution to a sporting problem is money.
And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

It'll be legen-waitforit

Fine Vash,

You want semantics?

You “said” your friend was giving it to you for free...so “bought” is click-bait :P

��
Gone: 79 911SC, 83 944, 05 Cayenne Turbo
Old 07-07-2020, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

Cool. Looks like a great way to get to the fish.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthn View Post
Fine Vash,

You want semantics?

You 都aid your friend was giving it to you for free...so 澱ought is click-bait :P

��
. The free kayak was not suitable for fishing. No rod holders even.

So I didn稚 take it. I went another direction and bought a kayak.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

A sleak lightweight paddle is great for tireless fast paddleing. A friend let me use his resently and it was light as a feather, super nice. I was paddleing my light 10' pelican river kayak, and gave it back quickly before getting totally spoiled, it was that nice, but it did cost $700.

But the standard Hobie one works fine for the little paddleing done with the foot powered unit in these Hobies, they just serve as auxillery power
When getting off the beach or thru some underwater obstacles, most of the time it is bungied to the side of the boat and foot power is used.
These are really quite different from normal kayaks.
Specifically designed for fishing, wider, more stable, using foot power leaving hands free for fishing.
Perfect for Vash's kayak fishing goal!

Cheers Richard

Last edited by tevake; 07-07-2020 at 06:19 PM..
Old 07-07-2020, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Cliff. Search for "garage storage pulley systems" on Amazon. I had one of these when I had my kayak (though not from Amazon at the time). Works well if you want to store your kayak out of the way in the garage. I had two - one for my kayak & the other for my mountain bike. Just another option.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Feelin' Solexy

Those mirage drive hobies are really neat and make a formidable fishing platform, I fish a ton in Puget Sound and sure seems like there is a small army of kayak fishermen who I see when I am out there.

I give you a month before you're outfitting a downrigger and chasing salmon out in the salt
1938 Buick Special model 41, 1963 Solex 2200, 1973 Vespa Primavera 125, 1974 Vespa Rally 200, 1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Westfalia, 1989 VW Doka Tristar, 1997 Boston Whaler Dauntless, 2008 Mini Cooper S, 2010 Mazda CX-9 - in the stable
1989 Porsche 944, 1973 VW Beetle - gone but not forgotten
Old 07-08-2020, 12:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
They do. It’s more expensive than the boat. I’ll pedal. With VIGOR.
Mental note: Send Vash the pic of the trolling motor mount my nephew also built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
. The free kayak was not suitable for fishing. No rod holders even.

So I didn’t take it. I went another direction and bought a kayak.
Secondary note: Should have just sent Vash a pic of my nephew's setup. He also built rod holders. He bought a bare Kayak and started making stuff for it. This isn't halfassed stuff either. He takes a lot of pride in how his fishing gear looks.

Last edited by cabmando; 07-08-2020 at 04:07 AM..
Old 07-08-2020, 04:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Spend a lot on your paddle.

I like the used trolling motor idea. That would greatly increase the utility, especially on a river. It is designed to push a bigger boat. Bet it would be fast and you could run hard all day

Old 07-08-2020, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: