Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdfifteen View Post
I've had problems. I bought some 4 foot LED shop lights from Menards that totally effed-up the radio reception in my garage.
Some LED lights come with the filters or whatever they are called and work find. I was more careful when I looked for replacements that claimed not to cause radio interference. They have been just fine.
You just need to shop carefully.
I have wireless speakers in my garage and experienced the same thing.

1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 07-09-2020, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Douglas View Post
A number of years ago I changed the fixture in our kitchen to use the 'kit' that HD sold. It was pricey, like $120 at the time.
The ballast bypass bulbs are $7-15 ea. around here...when they can be found.
Menards is well ahead of Lowes.

The right spectrum and lumen output would be something to consider next if going that route:
-3000K is a warm yellow. Too soft and comforting for use in some places.
-4100k is standard balanced. Good for all.
-5000k is a bit harsher blue. Snappy. It may interfere with wall paint colors.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
FWIW, I went 5000K "daylight" throughout my shop.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered

Exactly what I ordered for my garage. Should be here Tuesday. I'll let you know how they work out.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
I had 4' fluorescent and threw them away. In their place I bought shop lights that are the same general dimension and plug in the same, so in less than half hour I had the whole garage redone.

This is what I bought. No interference. I do bluetooth, garage door opener, radio. There was a 6 pack that was cheaper that is NLA, I think:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078B7KG1R/

Why would you mess wit your old, dusty and heavy fixtures if you can buy new ones integrated for a song? these don't get dirty near as easy too.

G
Old 07-11-2020, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
I have 9 4' 4-tube fixtures in my shop, and some of the ballasts are going/gone. Converting would make sense, but at $15-$20 per bulb that smells a little pricey.
Various VWs
Old 07-14-2020, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Registered

I just finished retrofitting the fluorescent bulbs with the LED. A four pack was $40 and I had 4 two bulb units so $80. Relatively simple to bypass and trash the ballast. Every time I turned on the fluorescent fixtures they would make a bunch of noise and it was a crap shoot if the would light up. Now, instant on, no noise, garage door still works normally even when they are turned on! Money well spent. Only problem is it's so bright in there now, I can see how dirty it is.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Yeah the brightness can be a curse because nothing can hide from it.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
I bought 4 of the "Toggled" LED T-12, non-dimmable, replacement bulbs, so I could od one fixture and see how I liked it. https://store.toggled.com/products/4-ft-120-277-vac-direct-wire-led-tubes

So far, so good. In this specific instance, it was a mild PITA because I wanted to re-orient the light at the same time, but for the ones I don't need to re-orient, it will be easy.

Various VWs
Old 08-01-2020, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Registered

That's a lotta lights! I got pretty much the same bulbs at the same price but from Amazon. Your garage is obviously a lot bigger than my little 2 car. 4 two bulb units light it up pretty good in there and most work I do is in the daytime and the door is open. Bypassing the ballasts was very simple and quick and like I said the best part is instant on with no noise, flickering, etc. Now we're on standby to see if this hurricane is gonna do anything...beautiful day today(if you like hot and humid) but we will see what the next couple of days brings.--Dave

Old 08-01-2020, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: