Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

I drove an original Mini for four years at University.

I never felt small to me.

Old 08-07-2020, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
That Chevelle looks like a 1966 Holden HR.

Old 08-07-2020, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Dog-faced pony soldier

Garage
I personally despise big, giant vehicles. I loved my Mercedes SLK (2-seater) when I had it, almost as much as the 911. I have a BMW X3 now for regular / get-around use (“practical”) and like most things about it but think it’s obnoxiously sized even though it’s smaller than most SUV things out there.

I’m looking forward to the days when kids are off on their own and I can ditch the X3 and get a Cooper convertible or maybe a (proper, 2-door) Jeep Wrangler maybe.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_rufctr View Post

Nova/Chevy II
Old 08-07-2020, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Banned

Garage
Old 08-07-2020, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
When I was in high school there was a girl that had an MG Midget. Ginny was not a small girl but she sure was fun, if you know what I'm saying.

We used to say she didn't really sit in the car, she put it on.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 08-07-2020, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_rufctr View Post

That almost looks more like a Nova to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner or later View Post
Nova/Chevy II
My first thought exactly.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 08-07-2020, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered

Garage

Old 08-07-2020, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Un Chien Andalusia

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
We have large cars in this country but how about those original Mini Coopers, Honda 600s, Bugs or those lil' Fiats? The English aren't exactly small people. How the heck did they manage to get in it? I have seen old pictures of people actual ride in the back looking pretty normal in England.
It's like petrolhead611 said - packaging. The original Mini was the most amazing piece of automotive design. The brief was basically a small, inexpensive, family car which could seat four adults. The genius is, there's absolutely no wasted space. The doors had sliding windows so that the door body could be left hollow and accessible from the inside - more space. The same in the rear seats, the outer skin of the vehicle is the inner skin of the passenger compartment, so the rear seat has space on either side for elbows and storage. There was no real instrument panel / dashboard, just a central cluster of gauges and a shelf which ran the width of the car - more space.
For such a tiny car it somehow doesn't feel cramped inside. Of course, you miss out on luxuries like thick carpets, thick padding on seats and trim, but that wasn't the point.
My wife and I are both at least 6ft and can fit comfortably in the Mini. Admittedly, our is an ex-rally car , so the seats are moved back, lowered, and fixed in place. There's no chance of anyone fitting in the back, but that's OK because there's no seat cushion and the harness belts and cage would get in the way. Still, it's surprisingly spacious and easily managed to fit the two of us and four days worth of luggage, water, oil, tools, and spare parts.
Honestly though, I don't think you'd want to go any smaller. It's about the smallest possible space you need for the job, but then again that was the aim. Also, it's dwarfed by anything else on the road and a little disconcerting to drive on the freeway.

1998 986 Boxster - Black - SOLD
1984 944 - Red - SOLD
Old 08-07-2020, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Un Chien Andalusia

Garage
More pictures, just for fun, of it's adventures with it's previous owners.

1998 986 Boxster - Black - SOLD
1984 944 - Red - SOLD
Old 08-07-2020, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by URY914 View Post
When I was in high school there was a girl that had an MG Midget. Ginny was not a small girl but she sure was fun, if you know what I'm saying.

We used to say she didn't really sit in the car, she put it on.
I had a girlfriend in college who had one, she was very petite, bud dang, when we took her car to the beach, any time a big truck would pass it would scare the crap out of me because the midget would move to the next lane
I have a buddy that has a bunch of interesting mini cars, should have taken pictures when I was there yesterday.

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 08-07-2020, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post
The red car on the right is the smallest car I've ever driven, and I fit in it just fine (I was 6'2" then). It was one of my parents cars when they lived in Spain. Seat 850, I think. 850cc motor with a top speed as tested by yours truly of 110kph. From inside I could easily reach across and roll up/down the passengers window. From outside the car, I could reach over the roof and tap the window on the opposite side.

And one of the other things about this car that cracked me up. It's rear engined and water cooled. The radiator was at most as big as a smallish text book with a small electric fan on it in the engine compartment with no vent of any sort to fresh air. The overflow for the radiator with a small rubber bag about half the size of a hot water bottle
Old 08-07-2020, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerkuld View Post
My wife and I are both at least 6ft and can fit comfortably in the Mini. Admittedly, our is an ex-rally car , so the seats are moved back, lowered, and fixed in place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbvd View Post
I had a girlfriend in college who had one, she was very petite, bud dang, when we took her car to the beach, any time a big truck would pass it would scare the crap out of me because the midget would move to the next lane
I have a buddy that has a bunch of interesting mini cars, should have taken pictures when I was there yesterday.
That's fantastic. I've never driven or ridden in an original mini, but I think they are the bees knees. I remember years ago when I had by old targa, one night on the way home in Houston traffic passing an original mini. My 911 was small compared to just about everything else on the road, but I felt like I dwarfed the mini when I drove past it.

I'd love to have another old air cooled 911 as a toy. If I was going to get something as a fair weather "toy", it would be a 550 replica or a Lotus 7 clone.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Functionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead611 View Post
The Mini in particular was brilliantly packaged,unlike US cars which were stupid large for no reason other than to appeal to American vanity.
I currently have two Smart ForFours from 2006 that have more rear leg room than S type MBs, but they are only 3752mm overall length. My American brother in law was staggered that four people would not only fit into but also travel 200 miles reasonably comfortably in my daughter's 2001 Fiat Punto.
Appeal to American vanity? Nice political jab there. Here is one back across the ocean. It’s 200 miles from Leeds to London, a distance that people in the US would’ve laughed at in 1970. People regularly racked up serious distance back then where I lived. If you were so inclined to pack some luggage or maybe a weeks load of supplies to tide you over until the next time you came to town over the rough roads of yesteryear nobody thought for one second about “vanity.” Pick-up trucks weren’t as common either.

I prefer small cars too, but where people are free they should be you know, FREE to decide what they need....
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Registered

mini's are neat cars
the only ones I rode in were cooper S in the 60's a 1275 and an older 1100
more ford angla's then mini's one had a 289 in the front seat

there was a me bubble car and a 1959 Berkeley SE492 Roadster in the hood
along with dads 356's there was a back seat horror car as I grew up
the facels had a lot bigger back seats
Old 08-07-2020, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Registered

I've these two little suckers. Great fun and 880kg it doesn't take a lot of HP to make them real fun.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Registered

I got hooked on the mini bug when a bug SCCA autocrossing and rode with a guy back in the 80s, then when a buddy let me drive his vintage race mini on the track, hook was set and pulled tight

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 08-07-2020, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Registered

I think driving them is one thing, but riding in the back is another.
I have always had small cars until I started buying trucks in the past 15 -20 years. They were mostly for work. My small cars were:
1980 Celica GT
MR2, first gen
Miata, first gen
Integra GXR, not too small by then, they started to grow to American size.

I am not a big fan of huge American cars like the Delta 88 or Caddys. Pigs for the road but cruises damn well to Vegas across the desert.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via AIM to petrolhead611
Javadog, Smart is a Mercedes brand, and I was quoting from their own advertising. The rear seats can be adjusted back and forth by no less than 6 inches, which is a huge amount in leg room terms.Obviously this is at the expense of luggage capacity in the rearmost position. These cars had a choice of 4 Mitsubishi Mivec petrol engines and one Mercedes diesel with a two different power outputs dependent on ECU programme. Good in the city, but more than enough power for motorway work: we drive my wife's 1.3 litre version to airports or ports( cruising very easily at the national speed limit to avoid having to park for a few weeks our more expensive cars at the mercy of people careless with luggage. My 1468cc version has a factory quotes too speed of 137mph so the national speed limit is somewhat within its reach.
Vindicator Vulcan V8 spyder, street legal sports racing car
(300hp,1400 lbs kerb weight) used for sprints on circuits, and hillclimbs
Old 08-08-2020, 01:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Just in case anyone is interested in Australian vintage racing. If not, don't click on the video.

Old 08-08-2020, 02:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: