Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

small cars

We have large cars in this country but how about those original Mini Coopers, Honda 600s, Bugs or those lil' Fiats? The English aren't exactly small people. How the heck did they manage to get in it? I have seen old pictures of people actual ride in the back looking pretty normal in England.

Old 08-07-2020, 12:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via AIM to petrolhead611
The Mini in particular was brilliantly packaged,unlike US cars which were stupid large for no reason other than to appeal to American vanity.
I currently have two Smart ForFours from 2006 that have more rear leg room than S type MBs, but they are only 3752mm overall length. My American brother in law was staggered that four people would not only fit into but also travel 200 miles reasonably comfortably in my daughter's 2001 Fiat Punto.
Vindicator Vulcan V8 spyder, street legal sports racing car
(300hp,1400 lbs kerb weight) used for sprints on circuits, and hillclimbs
Old 08-07-2020, 12:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
All cars have gotten bigger over time = Safety and necessity. Even a Morgan has gotten bigger (wider) compared to the original car.

When I was 20 something I owned a Fiat 500. One time I was driving with my father and brother in the car. It was OK but my dad was sitting sideways on the rear seat with his head up against the roof. (the back seat had no seat belts) Thinking back, Imagine what would have happened if we were involved in an accident!
Old 08-07-2020, 12:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

I just think they are only big in North America but smallish elsewhere around the world. I rode in many smaller passenger vans in China (China made) last summer. First I saw it from curb at the airport as it drove it and I thought, oh my, this thing is squished (narrow) and how our luggage will fit in it with 6 people (guide and driver included)? Luggages was a challenge because we had three week worth but we were gone for 7 weeks (thank goodness for laundry service on the cruise ship down the Yangtze). To my surprise, there was plenty or room in there.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_rufctr View Post
All cars have gotten bigger over time = Safety and necessity. Even a Morgan has gotten bigger (wider) compared to the original car.

When I was 20 something I owned a Fiat 500. One time I was driving with my father and brother in the car. It was OK but my dad was sitting sideways on the rear seat with his head up against the roof. (the back seat had no seat belts) Thinking back, Imagine what would have happened if we were involved in an accident!
Australian cars are bit strange. There are many we haven't seen before even though they are GM or Fords. From pics, they seem pretty big compared to the typical European cars.. You guys have the long vast hwys throughout your country that fit a larger vehicle well. What's your speed limit by the way out in the open? I bet a big Cadillac will be very cool cruising in those open roads?
Old 08-07-2020, 12:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Old 08-07-2020, 12:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead611 View Post
The Mini in particular was brilliantly packaged,unlike US cars which were stupid large for no reason other than to appeal to American vanity.
I currently have two Smart ForFours from 2006 that have more rear leg room than S type MBs, but they are only 3752mm overall length. My American brother in law was staggered that four people would not only fit into but also travel 200 miles reasonably comfortably in my daughter's 2001 Fiat Punto.
Those minis are tiny in there. A friend has a Honda 600 from High school. I fit in it OK since I am not a big guy, but he was 6'3" and skinny. His legs were at his chest driving this thing with seat pushed way back.

I can't imagent riding in the back in the dead of summer without AC, knees up to my chest with another person back there. My feet will be caught under the front seat or has to be turned. Pulling cramps for sure and unable to move to stretch. I am not claustrophobic but getting there just thinking about it.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
Australian cars are bit strange. There are many we haven't seen before even though they are GM or Fords. From pics, they seem pretty big compared to the typical European cars.. You guys have the long vast hwys throughout your country that fit a larger vehicle well. What's your speed limit by the way out in the open? I bet a big Cadillac will be very cool cruising in those open roads?
My daily... S420! - The national speed limit is 110 km/h (68.35 mp/h).

However there are areas in the Northern Territory that have no speed limit.

Last edited by sc_rufctr; 08-07-2020 at 12:48 AM..
Old 08-07-2020, 12:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

And yes we do have some strange cars This was for a long time Australia fastest car!

Old 08-07-2020, 12:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

A Shaker.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Run smooth, run fast

Old 08-07-2020, 02:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
I have the same car as the one on the right, 0.9l twin air, 2 cylinder, 85bhp

It's great fun to drive and enough room for 4 adults
1994 Toyota 4Runner Gen 2
Old 08-07-2020, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Still Doin Time

Is that a Ford Falcon? ^^^^^
'77 Sportster Pro-Street Drag Bike w/93ci - Sold to collector
'72 Yamaha CS5 200 Twin - Sold to fellow Pelicanite
Old 08-07-2020, 04:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltgambler View Post
Is that a Ford Falcon? ^^^^^
Yes... Ford Falcon GTHO Phase iii (HO = Handling Option)

The newer Ford Falcon coupe. The base for the Mad Max car.

Old 08-07-2020, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

And the Super Roo sticker from the Ford XW Falcon GT-HO Phase II!

Old 08-07-2020, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead611 View Post
I currently have two Smart ForFours from 2006 that have more rear leg room than S type MBs
No, they don't. They may be useful city cars but that statement isn't correct.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Quote:
And yes we do have some strange cars This was for a long time Australia fastest car!

This fills me with covetousness, Super Roo, yeah, like the sticker too

I prefer small cars
Old 08-07-2020, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

The red car on the right is the smallest car I've ever driven, and I fit in it just fine (I was 6'2" then). It was one of my parents cars when they lived in Spain. Seat 850, I think. 850cc motor with a top speed as tested by yours truly of 110kph. From inside I could easily reach across and roll up/down the passengers window. From outside the car, I could reach over the roof and tap the window on the opposite side.

'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 08-07-2020, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Smallest I have ever driven was my sisters Fiat 850 Spider. I could somehow wedge by 6'4" frame into the drivers seat. It was fun.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:

It approximates the rectangular shape of a 65 Chevelle 4 door but it's smaller and is missing the drive-in movie smuggler sized trunk. Nice package.

They are rare. Google says around 2000 made in total. (Australian Ford Falcon GTHO Phase III) and sell well over half a million AUD (quick googling only)

351 Cleveland - 380 hp but factory said 300 hp. Those are probably gross HP numbers. Even at circa 250 net hp it would have been very fast given size.

Here's the Chevelle:

Last edited by Bob Kontak; 08-07-2020 at 12:06 PM..
Old 08-07-2020, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: