Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
here i go. kayaking #4 on the list of USA's best bass lakes.

ClearLake in Clearlake CA. THIS SATURDAY!!

its huge and daunting. i had no idea where to go. then i met a bass guide, and he was my Contractor Foreman. he kept inviting me on his bass boat, but that was a clear conflict of interest. i like to keep my nose clean.

but our job has been over for a year, and all bills paid, arguments settled...i reached out and he talked me in using google maps to the most kayak friendly spot on the lake. he even told me lures to bring.

i am stoked!! i am nervous. my biggest bass has been a 3lb fish..and i have never ever caught a fish on a top-water or a frog. this is where the big fish swim and play..big Florida Strain Large-mouth bass.

he said to watch the wind..apparently he had to save a few kayak fishermen that took on too much. (yikes)..

my battery for my PPOT Donated AWESOME (i'm looking at you Tishabet! thank you from the bottom of my heart) fishfinder wont get here in time, but i have done fine without one thusfar.

Old 08-27-2020, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
credulous Boomer rube

Speaking of Florida strain Large Mouth Bass...

9 Lbs 10 oz
Old 08-27-2020, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
OMG...just wow. wow!!

i'll release any bass from this lake. its kinda gross.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
credulous Boomer rube

Catch and release is the only way, especially with these big ones. Caught in a kayak! Literally towed the boat...

Last edited by Roswell; 08-27-2020 at 02:08 PM..
Old 08-27-2020, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

I release all my bass. They are made for fighting, not eatin'.

I fish primarily out of a belly boat and a fly rod. I start up wind and let it blow me down the shoreline. I have fished Rayburn, Toledo Bend and Fork in their prime, and dozens of others. My biggest was an 8+ pounder on a 6 weight rod. I once caught a huge channel cat that was so big I couldn't get her out of the water. Just up to the side of the tube before it busted the leader. It would have easily went 10 lbs.

That kayak will be just like the tube, Forces you to fish slow and allows you to pound an area with cast after cast until you piss off that big bass and she strikes out of meanness.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswell View Post
Catch and release is the only way, especially with these big ones. Caught in a kayak! Literally towed the boat...
Looking at that fish. I should buy a landing net. Yikes.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

unsafe at any speed

subscribe
Old 08-27-2020, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

This one weighed just over 6 lbs and had already spawned. I bought my fly rod the day before and it was my 1st attempt at fly rod out of a tube. I was wound up in fly line. I was a happy camper. It took me forever to bring her in and I couldn't revive her. She would only go belly up.

Old 08-27-2020, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
Looking at that fish. I should buy a landing net. Yikes.
Naw....just keep the line taught until you can grab 'em by the lower lip. Nice fishys guys ! I like catching a 2-3 libber just as much as a whopper... and when I draw the picture and tell my lies...they're the same size . I always release bass and remove the barbs from my hooks too on lightweight spinning gear...

Good luck Cliff!

BTW...the only fish finder ya need is a plastic worm
Old 08-28-2020, 02:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
not gonna happen.

Purple Air says the air is at 421..full of smoke.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
two separate fires north of there by our old lake house at pillsbury.

plus, the algae blooms there at clear lake make it anything but clear. it gets pretty rancid.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Too bad, Vash. Use the day to learn more about one of your local lakes.

Old 08-28-2020, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: