Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Wakanda Forever

RIP Chadwick Boseman

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/08/28/features/black-panther-star-chadwick-boseman-dies-of-cancer-at-43/

14 535i M Sport
Old 08-28-2020, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Wow, really young. RIP
Old 08-28-2020, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
****ed up ****.

Colon cancer at 39?

Not something people need to die from but he was too young for screening.

Sad.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Wow, really liked him in 42. Same thing my brother in law is dying of

Pic of random car walking the dogs

Old 08-28-2020, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

He is way too young to have cancer. Wakanda Forever!
Old 08-28-2020, 10:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Too early. He and his family shouldn't have to be dealing with a diagnosis like this at his age. Condolences to them.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Registered

Damn. Way too young.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
A good friend of mine died early this year of colon cancer at 44. Left behind his wife and three kids. He was diagnosed shortly after his youngest (now 6) was born. Very hard on everybody.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Driver, not Mechanic

Ok, so are we supposed to get screened earlier now? My god...
Old 08-29-2020, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobra View Post
Wow, really liked him in 42. Same thing my brother in law is dying of

Pic of random car walking the dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanaudical View Post
A good friend of mine died early this year of colon cancer at 44. Left behind his wife and three kids. He was diagnosed shortly after his youngest (now 6) was born. Very hard on everybody.
Very sorry to hear of both of these cases, itís a really unfortunate diagnosis, even among cancers. I have a friend who has survived it, (in his mid-50s), still he has gone through hell.

I havenít seen the young manís film roles but everyone is saying that he was a great guy, super positive, etc. Very sad and messed up.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Cancer...will there ever be a cure?

From an email I received from a friend...early 70's. Classmate of Cindys..

" I was diagnosed with late stage 4 metastasis bone cancer....over 200 tumors from neck to ankles... The good news is there is "no cure" at this stage soooo we don't chase around for it but spend time enjoying life and being thankful for every day...many blessings and wonderful memories... My life window is 4 to 18 months...depends upon how fast it's growing and the treatments designed to slow it down ... It's a wait and see game. I'm also thankful that I have some time to finish some things, forgive some things, get right with GOD...family and friends etc. etc."

I can only hope to be half as strong under a similar situation.

Last edited by pwd72s; 08-30-2020 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: added quotation marks
Old 08-29-2020, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Cancer is not really one disease, so no, probably not.

You would think that young there would be a family history so they would be checking.
Old 08-29-2020, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

You do not have permissi

RIP to that fine actor with so much potential..

Way too young. Something went wrong there.
Old 08-29-2020, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Driver, not Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwd72s View Post

I was diagnosed with late stage 4 metastasis bone cancer....over 200 tumors from neck to ankles... The good news is there is "no cure" at this stage soooo we don't chase around for it but spend time enjoying life and being thankful for every day...many blessings and wonderful memories... My life window is 4 to 18 months...depends upon how fast it's growing and the treatments designed to slow it down ... It's a wait and see game. I'm also thankful that I have some time to finish some things, forgive some things, get right with GOD...family and friends etc. etc.

I can only hope to be half as strong under a similar situation.
I am so sorry to hear this. What's your advice to the younger folks?
Old 08-30-2020, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing View Post
I am so sorry to hear this. What's your advice to the younger folks?
To try to be half as strong as my friend when your time comes...I hope to do so.

My bad, should have used quotation marks for my friend's email quote...will edit.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Since this is turning into the "f#&k cancer" thread...
Lost a friend last night. 50 year old, strong as an ox, went in because of a lump on his neck. Found the cancer had already spread everywhere. Less than a year, him fighting down to half his weight, and it took him.

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 08-30-2020, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Still here

Garage
Too young !

RIP

Old 08-30-2020, 11:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Zink Racer

One of my best friends, fittest and healthiest guy I knew, died from lymphoma 4 years ago at 60. Took him quick thankfully. His widow now has terminal cancer, 3-6 months to go. Both of my sisters have battled breast cancer. This young man was just that, too young. RIP Chadwick and yes, F*&K cancer.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

mom's battle with colon and breast cancer left me with..
WTF are we spending our $$ on..
certainty not on cures..

Rika
Old 08-31-2020, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Good book about cancer. "The Emperor of Maladies".

The biopharma industry is spending billions (ballpark est, $100BN/yr) on cancer research and treatment. Remarkable progress but still so far to go. Extraordinarily complex group of diseases, our understanding is still very limited and the ability to find "druggable" pathways is also very limited.

The interesting thing is that the economic incentives to develop better cancer screening are weak. If an insurer pays $1000/pp to screen 1,000 insureds for a particular cancer, and detects early stage cancer in 1 of those persons, the insurer has spent $1MM on screening to find 1 case. It won't save $1MM in medical costs - it may not save any money at all, as a cancer discovered early may actually cost more to treat than a cancer discovered very late. Thus new screening tests have a hard time getting traction and have to cost very little to have a chance at commercial success. I don't know of any company that has become a really big, commercially successful business based on early cancer detection. It is far more lucrative for biopharma companies to develop treatments than detection, and not especially lucrative for insurers to fund detection.

I think what I just described is the biggest structural problem with how we approach cancer.

Last edited by jyl; 08-31-2020 at 10:06 AM..
Old 08-31-2020, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: