Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   How much should a 75 gallon water heater cost to purchase and have installed? (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/1071658-how-much-should-75-gallon-water-heater-cost-purchase-have-installed.html)

cantdrv55 08-29-2020 10:02 PM

How much should a 75 gallon water heater cost to purchase and have installed?

Installed by a plumber, not handyman. My brother was quoted $2500 for 75 g tank WH or $4500 for a similar sized tankless. Sounds steep. I told him he should’ve moved out his Macan and Mercedes GLS out of the garage before the plumber came.

john70t 08-29-2020 10:29 PM

The WH themselves in the box stores run $700-1500 IIRC.
Installation can be a serious pain, as I've already experienced, and that might factor into it depending on the situation.

$2500 might be a normal price for a 75gal. IDK.

I recently paid about $2000 for an A.O.Smith 40gal with a new water main shut-off.
Everything was clean and tidy for the worker. Long time customer as well.

look 171 08-29-2020 10:38 PM

I don't think we have install one that big. 40 gal, 70 gal, the install is the same. Normally, my plumber charges us 430.00 per water heater if he's doing the plumbing for the whole house under remodel. The heater itself maybe 12-1500 bucks plus 300 bucks for new valves and fittings.

javadog 08-30-2020 04:13 AM

The last one I had installed by a plumber was under grand. That included removing the old one, which turned out to be a pain in the ass because it couldn’t be drained. I don’t recall the size but it was sufficient for a three or four bedroom house.

wdfifteen 08-30-2020 05:01 AM

Gas or electric? Is it a direct replacement or an upgrade?

NWI Bill 08-30-2020 05:39 AM

Typically you take the cost of the WH and that is about the cost for installation. If you are upgrading to a high efficiency WH that requires a dedicated intake and exhaust then the cost may be more. Here in Colorado, it is now required a licensed plumber do the install and permit pulled so that an inspection can be done. There have been deaths related to CO poisoning from poorly installed WH by DIYers. Here, a gas 75 gallon WH purchased and professionally installed would be at least $3000.

cantdrv55 08-30-2020 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdfifteen (Post 11006341)
Gas or electric? Is it a direct replacement or an upgrade?

Gas

Roswell 08-30-2020 08:23 AM

Both prices are in line for where I live. Bringing the installation up to the current local codes can get expensive. And with gas, you want it done by the book.

KC911 08-30-2020 08:26 AM

I can't fathom a 75 gal tank for a gas WH in a home...why?

My gas WH keeps up with the outflow....YMMV.

Take cold showers :D

juanbenae 08-30-2020 08:31 AM

consider biting the bullet and pony up for a tankless.

john70t 08-30-2020 08:32 AM

Power-vent will be a little more.

Gas go boom when installed incorrectly. An inspector found a small leak in my furnace.

KC911 08-30-2020 08:38 AM

I've seen a gas explosion level a 3 story apt building I lived in back in college. Home inspector detected a gas leak at my WH when I purchased...house was only two years old :(.

Gas don't play....

McLovin 08-30-2020 09:47 AM

Direct replacement v new install can make a big difference.
A direct replacement is 1 gas line and 2 water lines.
No different than putting in a new washer and gas dryer.

Evans, Marv 08-30-2020 10:06 AM

I don't see a $2K premium for the tankless water heater. I have two for my housel, & the plumbing isn't much different from one with a tank. Maybe the initial cost is more, but not by that much. I read a Consumer Reports on the longevity of household appliances saying tankless water heaters normally lasted 20 years, which was by far the longest of any appliance. I don't see any real reason for one with a tank.

javadog 08-30-2020 10:09 AM

Water heaters with a tank will last quite a long time if you don’t let the anode go away completely. Change it once in a while and you’d be surprised how long one can last.

GH85Carrera 08-30-2020 10:31 AM

It is like asking what a set of 4 tires cost. It can vary so much depending on the situation. 4 - 14 inch tires for a little car is cheaper than one 20 inch high performance tire.

The code changes constantly. There are even increasingly (decreasing?) level of idiots in the world making "idiot proof" an impossible goal. Idiots store gasoline in old leaky cans next to the water heater and the fumes get out and the water heater ignites the fumes and boom. In my city they keep raising the height of the water heater above the ground level. Now it is REQUIRED to have a drain pan, with direct pipe through a wall to the outside. In the past if our water heater leaked, it would run down the garage floor and out the garage door. Yea it would have been a mess, but no significant damage. Now we have the water heater up 24 inches above the garage floor, sitting in a pan with a 1 inch CVPC drain pipe to the outside through the side of the garage wall that would dump out into a flower garden. That is just to be in code.

In the next county north of us you can put a water heater in on the ground level and no drain pan. Cheap, but not real safe.

Evans, Marv 08-30-2020 10:32 AM

True on longevity. I had a 75 gallon gas water heater (Rheem) in an apartment building that lasted 17 years. When I consciously started thinking how long it had lasted, it began to leak & needed replacement. It was bought from a plumbing supply instead of a big box store.

jyl 08-30-2020 10:47 AM

I got estimates of well over $3K for a new water heater installed.

Bought the replacement model that dropped in, heater was a little over $1K and install DIY was easy enough.

Evans, Marv 08-30-2020 10:52 AM

^^^^ This. I've replaced plenty of water heaters. $2K for a simple replacement is ridiculous.

dad911 08-30-2020 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evans, Marv (Post 11006648)
I don't see a $2K premium for the tankless water heater. I have two for my housel, & the plumbing isn't much different from one with a tank. Maybe the initial cost is more, but not by that much. I read a Consumer Reports on the longevity of household appliances saying tankless water heaters normally lasted 20 years, which was by far the longest of any appliance. I don't see any real reason for one with a tank.

If electric, tankless upgrade would require 2 or 3 40-60 amp circuits. If gas, sometimes an upsize in gas pipe size.