Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

How much should a 75 gallon water heater cost to purchase and have installed?

Installed by a plumber, not handyman. My brother was quoted $2500 for 75 g tank WH or $4500 for a similar sized tankless. Sounds steep. I told him he should’ve moved out his Macan and Mercedes GLS out of the garage before the plumber came.

Old 08-29-2020, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

The WH themselves in the box stores run $700-1500 IIRC.
Installation can be a serious pain, as I've already experienced, and that might factor into it depending on the situation.

$2500 might be a normal price for a 75gal. IDK.

I recently paid about $2000 for an A.O.Smith 40gal with a new water main shut-off.
Everything was clean and tidy for the worker. Long time customer as well.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

I don't think we have install one that big. 40 gal, 70 gal, the install is the same. Normally, my plumber charges us 430.00 per water heater if he's doing the plumbing for the whole house under remodel. The heater itself maybe 12-1500 bucks plus 300 bucks for new valves and fittings.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

The last one I had installed by a plumber was under grand. That included removing the old one, which turned out to be a pain in the ass because it couldn’t be drained. I don’t recall the size but it was sufficient for a three or four bedroom house.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Gas or electric? Is it a direct replacement or an upgrade?
Old 08-30-2020, 04:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
NWI Bill

Typically you take the cost of the WH and that is about the cost for installation. If you are upgrading to a high efficiency WH that requires a dedicated intake and exhaust then the cost may be more. Here in Colorado, it is now required a licensed plumber do the install and permit pulled so that an inspection can be done. There have been deaths related to CO poisoning from poorly installed WH by DIYers. Here, a gas 75 gallon WH purchased and professionally installed would be at least $3000.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdfifteen View Post
Gas or electric? Is it a direct replacement or an upgrade?
Gas
Old 08-30-2020, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
credulous Boomer rube

Both prices are in line for where I live. Bringing the installation up to the current local codes can get expensive. And with gas, you want it done by the book.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

I can't fathom a 75 gal tank for a gas WH in a home...why?

My gas WH keeps up with the outflow....YMMV.

Take cold showers
Old 08-30-2020, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
consider biting the bullet and pony up for a tankless.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

Power-vent will be a little more.

Gas go boom when installed incorrectly. An inspector found a small leak in my furnace.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

I've seen a gas explosion level a 3 story apt building I lived in back in college. Home inspector detected a gas leak at my WH when I purchased...house was only two years old .

Gas don't play....
Old 08-30-2020, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Checked out

Direct replacement v new install can make a big difference.
A direct replacement is 1 gas line and 2 water lines.
No different than putting in a new washer and gas dryer.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

I don't see a $2K premium for the tankless water heater. I have two for my housel, & the plumbing isn't much different from one with a tank. Maybe the initial cost is more, but not by that much. I read a Consumer Reports on the longevity of household appliances saying tankless water heaters normally lasted 20 years, which was by far the longest of any appliance. I don't see any real reason for one with a tank.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Water heaters with a tank will last quite a long time if you don’t let the anode go away completely. Change it once in a while and you’d be surprised how long one can last.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
It is like asking what a set of 4 tires cost. It can vary so much depending on the situation. 4 - 14 inch tires for a little car is cheaper than one 20 inch high performance tire.

The code changes constantly. There are even increasingly (decreasing?) level of idiots in the world making "idiot proof" an impossible goal. Idiots store gasoline in old leaky cans next to the water heater and the fumes get out and the water heater ignites the fumes and boom. In my city they keep raising the height of the water heater above the ground level. Now it is REQUIRED to have a drain pan, with direct pipe through a wall to the outside. In the past if our water heater leaked, it would run down the garage floor and out the garage door. Yea it would have been a mess, but no significant damage. Now we have the water heater up 24 inches above the garage floor, sitting in a pan with a 1 inch CVPC drain pipe to the outside through the side of the garage wall that would dump out into a flower garden. That is just to be in code.

In the next county north of us you can put a water heater in on the ground level and no drain pan. Cheap, but not real safe.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 08-30-2020, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

True on longevity. I had a 75 gallon gas water heater (Rheem) in an apartment building that lasted 17 years. When I consciously started thinking how long it had lasted, it began to leak & needed replacement. It was bought from a plumbing supply instead of a big box store.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I got estimates of well over $3K for a new water heater installed.

Bought the replacement model that dropped in, heater was a little over $1K and install DIY was easy enough.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Registered

^^^^ This. I've replaced plenty of water heaters. $2K for a simple replacement is ridiculous.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evans, Marv View Post
I don't see a $2K premium for the tankless water heater. I have two for my housel, & the plumbing isn't much different from one with a tank. Maybe the initial cost is more, but not by that much. I read a Consumer Reports on the longevity of household appliances saying tankless water heaters normally lasted 20 years, which was by far the longest of any appliance. I don't see any real reason for one with a tank.
If electric, tankless upgrade would require 2 or 3 40-60 amp circuits. If gas, sometimes an upsize in gas pipe size.

Old 08-30-2020, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: