Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Still Doin Time

Jeep GC - in limited trim, all day long.

'77 Sportster Pro-Street Drag Bike w/93ci - Sold to collector
'72 Yamaha CS5 200 Twin - Sold to fellow Pelicanite
Old 09-02-2020, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
King Broinyo

My mom gets a new Toyota Highlander every couple years. Seems like a pretty solid rig.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered

calling Toyotaville...

Highlander or the Lexus RX350 equivalent. Higlander XLE/Limited - 3rd row (small), sunroof, leather, and the goodies. The Lexus will be a 2 row (3rd row too new for your budget), with all the above as well.

Stone dead reliable and comfortable. Perfect for commuting. We all know the SUV pretense is simply to "look active" but never venture off pavement or get dusty

I like most of the choices recommended (GX, 4Runner, FJ etc) but really, is this for your ego or the wife's? if she is in a Q5, she's really not offroading.. just playing the role, which is fine.

FWIW, when we ditched the familiy van (great machine btw).. we looked at all of the SUV/Softroaders out there that were 2-3 years old an in our similar budget:
1) Nissan Pathfinder
2) Toyota Highlander
3) Acura MDX
4) Toyota 4Runner
5) Audi Q5
6) Audi Q7
7) Honda Pilot
and I snuck in a BMW 5GT too.. if its only 1 kid and wife, might try this oddball.. based on a 7 series, lots of interior room.. hatchback... raised seating, but not SUV high.. drives smaller than it is etc.
2000 Boxster 2.7, 1987 944
1978 911SC, 1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056

Last edited by racer; 09-02-2020 at 06:06 AM..
Old 09-02-2020, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Reelin' In The Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostril Cheese View Post
My mom gets a new Toyota Highlander every couple years. Seems like a pretty solid rig.
I owned one as a company car for four years. Zippy issues. More car than SUV.

Ryan's wife may want a gussied up version but they are fine cars.

Don't sleep on the RAV-4 if the 3rd row seat isn't a deal breaker:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/awd-4wd/2016/toyota/rav4/los-angeles-ca-90001?year=&dma=&searchRadius=25&isNewSearch=true&marketExtension=include&showAccelerateBanner=false&sortBy=relevance&numRecords=25

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." – Winston Churchill
Old 09-02-2020, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Highlander is high on my list but finding a newer body style Highlander with low mileage for mid 20's seems a bit difficult right now.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Cymru am Byth

Lexus GX 470 or 460, only downside is gas mileage with modifications I have. Very capable if you off-road and towing. Best SUV I've owned.
2005 Lexus GX470 Offroader
Julian Williams
Old 09-02-2020, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

King Broinyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmad View Post

Lexus GX 470 or 460, only downside is gas mileage with modifications I have. Very capable if you off-road and towing. Best SUV I've owned.
Thats cool. Did you make the front bumper? Love the rear cabinet
Old 09-02-2020, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Cymru am Byth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostril Cheese View Post
Thats cool. Did you make the front bumper? Love the rear cabinet
Bumper made by Metaltech in Oregon. I made the drawers, carries all my recovery gear and tools, also used as full length sleeping platform.
2005 Lexus GX470 Offroader
Julian Williams
Old 09-02-2020, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Information Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Cunningham View Post
She only likes the Macan, which obviously is not under $25k...
I had a macan for a couple days. Not bad but not nearly as smooth and buttery as a Cayenne(w/ air suspension). IMO, Cayenne, Macan, Q5 is like Mercedes S-class, E-class, C-class, respectively. ...except the Audi is an Audi with massive planned obsolescence. (they know that they use crap relays, valves and such - but the business model makes bank on service.)
Old 09-02-2020, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Highlander would be what I'd be looking for.

Reliable and boring, perfect for driving a little one around.

We had a V8 XC90 that was bulletproof, but they are getting older now.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Reelin' In The Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmad View Post
Bumper made by Metaltech in Oregon. I made the drawers, carries all my recovery gear and tools, also used as full length sleeping platform.
Nice. Rear cabinet is great.

I am trying to find something like your bumper for my Series 80.

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." – Winston Churchill
Old 09-02-2020, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Cunningham View Post
All,

My wife's 2013 Audi Q5 is up for a replacement due to its garbage reliability and notorious TFSI engine issue.

My budget is is limited to $25k as I don't want to have any type of loan save for mortgages. I'd like to keep the mileage at 70,000 or so if possible but also want the vehicle to be comfortable for my wife and young daughter (2). The wife ideally wants a third row seat but its not a requirement (apparently a sunroof is. )

I've always liked the Jeep Grand Cherokees and I've had good luck with the six Jeeps I've owned. I like 4Runners but they seem like they're a bit out of the price range I'm searching for. Other than a Ford Explorer, any other non-crossover like SUVs that might fit the bill that someone has had experience with?

Thanks for any help.

(I'd like for her to just grab up a Discovery II like I use as a daily but its terrible reliability would give me serious concern since she is the one primarily driving our daughter around when I'm at work.)
ok, we have:

1. comfy
2. reliable - somewhat?
3. non-crossover like SUV
4. third row seat is a bonus

I don't see anything about of-road capability. except "non-crossover like SUV"

If not important, a station wagon - BMW 3 series might be best. You can Dinan-ize them too...

If you do need off-road abilities, that narrows things a lot.

German vehicles seem lacking in reliability these days.

Toy Yotas have the aggro-fugly front ends on them...
Old 09-02-2020, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Registered

I love our Yukon Denail Its huge, and hard on fuel, but . Its almost as fast as the Turbo Cayenne, simple and easy to repair, gobs of torque and power , inside is really nice, and has held up better than the cayenne, or any BMW I have ever owned I will do another one for sure.
Im done with german stuff for day to day vehicles . I want to use it , not fix it
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 09-02-2020, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Registered

I just picked up a GLK350 and love it. Sounds small for what you're looking for. The GL series might fit the bill.
Old 09-02-2020, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabmando View Post
Highlander is high on my list but finding a newer body style Highlander with low mileage for mid 20's seems a bit difficult right now.
I have talked about my old RAV4 four cyl highly but it's mighty short. I also just did brakes on a 2016 4Runner. It's mighty big. Like Sequoia size. Not sure if it's the Tundra frame or not.

I think I would like the Highlander bigs. Just right.

The 2008 Lexus GX470 I work on is oddly rust heavy on the bottom unlike my 2004 RAV4. Akron/Canton is full rust belt but why the difference given same manufacturing family?
Old 09-02-2020, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Everyone, thanks for all the information. The Lexus GS wasn't even on my radar and the wife really likes it. Might be leaning towards that at the moment. There are two 2015s within a reasonable weekend drive with about 100,000 miles right at the price point. That'd worry me with a European vehicle but not so much with the Lexus as my mother's Toyota Sequoia lasted 450,000 miles with minimal maintenance over the past 17 years.

Racer, no she's definitely not off-roading. I barely do that and I've got a lifted Discovery II, probably more on account of lack of time vice desire. She mostly likes the larger size as her vehicle is the one we do trips in and having a kid inevitably adds other stuff likes strollers and such that can be cumbersome. Plus it makes me feel better having the two of them in a larger vehicle.

1972 Porsche 911 Outlaw - 400hp/930 transaxle/13" rear tires
F/A-18C/D, F-15C, F-35B/C
Old 09-02-2020, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWebb View Post
ok, we have:

1. comfy
2. reliable - somewhat?
3. non-crossover like SUV
4. third row seat is a bonus

I don't see anything about of-road capability. except "non-crossover like SUV"

If not important, a station wagon - BMW 3 series might be best. You can Dinan-ize them too...

If you do need off-road abilities, that narrows things a lot.

German vehicles seem lacking in reliability these days.

Toy Yotas have the aggro-fugly front ends on them...
No off-road abilities needed, more about appearance. A station wagon is out, I'm pretty sure she'd throw the pan at me that she's using to cook dinner with across the island from me right now.

I like how German and European vehicles drive, but her Audi and her brother BMW have caused me pause when looking that way. I won't even bring up British engineering and my Land Rover Discovery, but that has character that no amount of maintenance can ever take away...

1972 Porsche 911 Outlaw - 400hp/930 transaxle/13" rear tires
F/A-18C/D, F-15C, F-35B/C
Old 09-02-2020, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
If she drives a Lexus RX 400h, she will be done looking.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Maybe too boring - Honda CRV? Inexpensive, reliable.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanaudical View Post
Maybe too boring - Honda CRV? Inexpensive, reliable.
Is the CR-V big enough? Pilot might be better.

Along with the 'purchase' budget, you should also post a 'maintenance' budget. CR-V versus Cayenne will be very different numbers.

Old 09-03-2020, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: