Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Any experience adding a new key/fob to a 2011 Honda? (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/1072220-any-experience-adding-new-key-fob-2011-honda.html)

71T Targa 09-04-2020 11:59 AM

Any experience adding a new key/fob to a 2011 Honda?

My beloved Sienna was totaled, and my replacement looks to be a Honda Odyssey. (I've gotta be able to haul these kids around somehow. :D )
For some reason, most of the cars I've looked at only have one key.

Does anyone have first hand experience getting a new Honda key cut and coded?

I've been searching the WWW and getting mixed results on whether it is a DIY job or something you need a scan tool to do.

Several videos show a sequence of key on/key off while hitting the lock button. But it's not clear if that just gets the fob to work or also sets the immobilizer.

Anyone here know for sure?

TIA

Nostril Cheese 09-04-2020 12:46 PM

I had this same problem with a Honda Element last year. The owner wanted an extra key for the car, had only one. It will need to be programmed to the car for the transponder to work. Was not cheap.

71T Targa 09-04-2020 12:54 PM

Not the answer I wanted to hear...

Thanks!

Bob Kontak 09-04-2020 01:01 PM

Call around to smaller locksmiths. Some have the gear for programming and they may not be as expensive as the auto key/key fob places that are several hundred dollars for a new key kit.

I got a key only for $75 last year for my 2005 Odyssey.

KC911 09-04-2020 01:02 PM

I've had it done for a used car my parents bought several years ago. The stealership was gonna charge over $300, so we went to a local locksmith and had one scanned & made for around $75.

When they bought a used Lexus from a "good" used car lot, I asked them to throw in the extra. They have a weekly visit from a key/lock truck...dropped by a few days later on his scheduled day.... no charge.

At the Lexus dealership many years ago....I had an SC400...it was over $500 :(.

Live & learn....

KC911 09-04-2020 01:03 PM

I type slower than Bob :D

Bob Kontak 09-04-2020 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC911 (Post 11014464)
The stealership was gonna charge over $300, so we went to a local locksmith and had one scanned & made for around $75.

Good. So the same that I experienced wasn't a fluke.

Bob Kontak 09-04-2020 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC911 (Post 11014465)
I type slower than Bob :D

No. I just started before you at about 3:00pm.

He would have made a fob for an additional $75.

john70t 09-04-2020 01:11 PM

It was a bout (typo intended) $75 for programming and the same for each key at the dealership.
I had a couple made.
A weeks wait and most of a morning spent in a small room.

KNS 09-04-2020 02:16 PM

I liked it when you could get a new key cut for a few bucks.

They pack all this technology into new keys in the name of theft prevention but cars still get stolen.

edgemar 09-04-2020 02:20 PM

https://www.banggood.com/CK-100-V99_99-Car-Key-Programmer-Auto-OBD2-Programming-Tool-No-Tokens-Limited-SBB-Upgrade-Version-p-1192150.html?rmmds=buy&cur_warehouse=CN

https://youtu.be/YMQlF4ztrFI

juanbenae 09-04-2020 03:16 PM

there is a guy on ebay that sells FOBs for cheap and has much data on programing them for specific vehicles.. with my 07 duramax ive been able to program a newly cut key and FOB with the only rub being you needed one of each for the vehicle to program the new one.

petrolhead611 09-05-2020 12:31 AM

Used a mobile auto locksmith to make a nspare key for my Smart ForFour for half the price that Mercedes would charge for just the programming element couple with them having to order the physical key from Germany. Fortunately I had the Master key( Smarts have master and slave keys). The guy didn't have a Smart keyfob on his van, so he used a Peugeot one. Took him about 20 minutes on the coldest night of the year. He had done one for my previous Renault a year or two before in about 5 minutes, at a third of the Renault price. Most key cutting stores cannot seem to set up these modern car keys.

71T Targa 09-05-2020 07:13 AM

Thank you for that!

mattdavis11 09-05-2020 07:43 AM

We bought her MDX used with one key and fob. When some dick stole that key from our front porch, we had to call a locksmith. He came out, unlocked the car, and cut a new key, however, the new key would only work in the door, the ignition had been rekeyed at some point. If her battery had gone dead, we would have had to call a locksmith to get in anyway, so we had the cylinder changed back to factory matching.

Well, when he went to program the new key, something went wrong rendering the car useless. It would crank, fire momentarily, and die. When he programmed it, he fried some electrical components. I found the issue being a main fuse and had him come back out to complete the program. He did, but the ignition acted as the key was always in the II position, still does. Now it has to go to the dealer to be scanned to see if it can be reprogramed (CAN2), if not, replace fuse box #3, then reprogram.

I never paid the locksmith, he never asked for payment. I know the guy, so I won't sue.

I bought new blanks with fob for about $40ea, dealer wanted $120ea. I hope you have better luck than I did.

Joeaksa 09-05-2020 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71T Targa (Post 11014454)
Not the answer I wanted to hear...

Thanks!

When you buy the car, demand a second key. Let them pay for one or take it off of the purchase price.

Bought a "new to me" Jaguar two years ago and I did not get a 2nd key. After taking delivery found out that it almost has to go to the dealer for this and if you are lucky it will cost you $300. If you are not lucky and you need a new KVM module its $1200...

I learned on this one!

Joe A

Nostril Cheese 09-06-2020 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattdavis11 (Post 11015225)
Well, when he went to program the new key, something went wrong rendering the car useless. It would crank, fire momentarily, and die. When he programmed it, he fried some electrical components. I found the issue being a main fuse and had him come back out to complete the program. He did, but the ignition acted as the key was always in the II position, still does. Now it has to go to the dealer to be scanned to see if it can be reprogramed (CAN2), if not, replace fuse box #3, then reprogram.

Similar issue with the Honda I mentioned before. Mobile guys in Los Angeles could not get it to work right/multiple visits. So trip to the dealer and fixed correctly the first time there.

Bigtoe32067 09-06-2020 04:40 AM

Don’t lose the last key to your 996. They’re programmed to the dme. I had to have towed to the dealer and my insurance paid for it. I think it was in the $3k range.
Good luck
Tony

71T Targa 09-11-2020 04:01 PM

I was able to get 2 OEM keys from Amazon for $40 per, then had a local mobile locksmith cut and code them for another $40 per.
Anyone local, I'd recommend Bigfoot Lock out of Stanwood WA!

john70t 09-11-2020 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71T Targa (Post 11022630)
I was able to get 2 OEM keys from Amazon for $40 per, then had a local mobile locksmith cut and code them for another $40 per.
Anyone local, I'd recommend Bigfoot Lock out of Stanwood WA!

Don't use big box store kiosk machines and then choose to have the receipt emailed to you.
Don't use anything but anon cash.

The machine makes a copy. Every key has a CAD profile. They have even been re-created using photographs.
The added name and email ties the retained data to your address you just provided.

It's like handing out a key to the internet. Go ahead if you don't believe me.
You are probably safe. Most of the time.