Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by livi View Post
You are all good, Denis. No worries. Meat and sallad is excellent. Its all the carbohydrates from bread, pasta and such that should be cut down along with all the highly processed food from fastfood and cakes.
Oh and the odd glass of wine won´t kill you either.
Not to start a debate, but there should be no issue with eating pasta or bread, and none of that whole wheat stuff.
It's just protein (12-14%) water, salt and yeast, or maybe an egg for pasta.

Now sugar...that's a whole different story.

Old 09-05-2020, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

I try to have at least one ribeye a week, mostly black and blue to just under medium rare. Have always done cast iron with a caramelization sear but been enjoying grilled over wood over coals this summer.

Old 09-05-2020, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Banned

Garage
American farmed meat is not the same as wild meat, nor what is eaten in Mongolia, by the Masai or what early humans ate. One difference is that the fat levels are much higher.

Grass fed will be better than grain finished for health.

observational studies show that red meat is associated with a greater risk of cardiovascular disease, cancer and death

recently, this was traced to (at least) levels of L-carnitine which interacts with bacteria in the body - which is a good search term for you

The real question is whether eating red meat will be worse for you than worrying about eating it...
I don't worry about it, and eat it once or twice a week (45 day aged NY steak last night).

If you feel you are eating it too often, just give some away.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
when i eat too much red meat, say steak two days in a row, i get intestinal blockage-like issues and pain so bad i can barely walk for a week. i also have diverticulitis....not sure if this has any impact on the pain i get

because of this i’ve lost my passion for steak. i also couldn’t imagine eating anything so boring all week long.

if i ever win a years worth of steak, it’s yours
Old 09-05-2020, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
I hear buffalo mean is more lean then turkey and taste better then beef.
We have a ranch in the area that gets Buffalo from Colorado and Arizona and they sell a lot of it here. Going to give it a try the next time I am close to their store.

Joe A
2013 Jag XF, 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins (the workhorse), 1992 Jaguar XJ S-3 V-12 VDP (one of only 100 examples made), 1969 Jaguar XJ (been in the family since new), 1985 911 Targa backdated to 1973 RS specs with a 3.6 shoehorned in the back, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite (former SCCA H-Prod), 2010 Jaguar XF (fast touring car), 1995 BMW R1100RSL, 1971 & '72 BMW R75/5 "Toaster," Ural Tourist w/sidecar, 1949 Aeronca Sedan / QB
Old 09-05-2020, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun @ Tru6 View Post
I try to have at least one ribeye a week, mostly black and blue to just under medium rare. Have always done cast iron with a caramelization sear but been enjoying grilled over wood over coals this summer.

nevermind what i said above. this looks damn good
Old 09-05-2020, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Banned

Garage
that reminds me....

overcooking a protein (sear, esp. the blacker parts) generates a number of toxic compounds, e.g. nitrosamines

BUT... your body has a number of detoxification mechanisms to deal with that, so if you are going to get cancer, etc. get it from something that tastes great - not from spilling used motor oil all over yourself

see also: beer
Old 09-05-2020, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered

Just the right amount of Veggies

Old 09-05-2020, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
I’ll just say it. Too much of anything isn’t all that great.
Old 09-05-2020, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
My cardiologist says I should mainly eat beef, lamb, and goat. When I eat chicken I should eat the skin. And don’t worry too much about eating vegetables. My cardiologist also says I don’t need a cardiologist so take that into consideration. My father died of a heart attack at 43 and my half brother had his first heart attack at 57 so I have a cardiologist.
Old 09-05-2020, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonesfreak View Post
nevermind what i said above. this looks damn good
thanks, it was one of my better steaks

Old 09-05-2020, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Have a friend who has owned over 25 Porsches in his lifetime. He lives just down the street. We met one day when we each saw each other driving our P-cars.

I remember him saying in one conversation he went on a diet of potato chips and ice cream and lost weight. That's all he ate for a designated time period that I can't quite remember. Couldn't have been as much as a year but probably at least a month.

Smart guy - had one of those mini-CD business cards.
Old 09-06-2020, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeder View Post
Let’s say, for the sake of argument, that you won a years worth of high quality steaks, delivered fresh weekly. You like steak, so you ate it 4-5 times a week, every week, for dinner along w a salad or sometimes a vegetable.

What would be the negative health consequences of eating that much red meat? Let’s say that you’re ~60 years old and not overweight. Because that is the way I’ve been eating most of this year at the cabin and it’s just dawned on me that I might be doing harm to myself. I know that most doctors will tell you to limit red meat, eat a varied diet of lean meat .org no meat, etc.

I like steak and it’s easy to cook on the gas grille plus I don’t have a great repertoire of cooking skill to make other meals. At home in L.A., it’s easy to mix in some vegan meals w my steak habit, eat a more varied diet. FWIW, I feel great.
You're just getting warmed up for a move to Texas. Austin is the " quarantine " zone, until you come to your senses.

Last edited by red-beard; 09-06-2020 at 09:34 AM..
Old 09-06-2020, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
I hit the "scratch and dent" cooler at our local Krogers 2 or 3 times a week. The meat that is reduced for quick sale is 95% beef - a lot of it steak. I have so many steaks vacuum packed and frozen in the freezer that I bring them home now and grind them into hamburger. I made some great burgers out of strip steak and brisket.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
UnRegistered User

Garage
Following Shaun's example I did a couple of small rib eyes last night.
I was at the grocery store and saw a few great looking steaks. I like rib eyes to be on the smaller side with a large cap or deckle wrapped around it.
My wife has a preference for medium well but I managed to sneak some medium steaks by her last night.
Cooked on the big green egg high temp cook. They were fantastic. Sorry, too hungry last night for photos.
If they were thicker I might have done a reverse sear on them but that wasn't required this time.
And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
A Man of Wealth and Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybek View Post
Following Shaun's example I did a couple of small rib eyes last night.
I was at the grocery store and saw a few great looking steaks. I like rib eyes to be on the smaller side with a large cap or deckle wrapped around it.
My wife has a preference for medium well but I managed to sneak some medium steaks by her last night.
Cooked on the big green egg high temp cook. They were fantastic. Sorry, too hungry last night for photos.
If they were thicker I might have done a reverse sear on them but that wasn't required this time.
I find that the Weber Kettle is easier to use than the BGE for high temp grilling. The cleaning out is easier. I also have the Rotisserie attachment for it..Chicken, Leg of Lamb, Rib Roast, Pork Roasts..

Indirect, with water pan in the middle. Haven't done that in awhile, I will have to do that pretty soon...

What I want is a Santa Maria Grill..

"Some Observer"
Old 09-06-2020, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabs View Post

What I want is a Santa Maria Grill..
Robert et Louise in Paris is where I first learned about cooking steaks over wood. Going there was a huge disappointment, thank you Anthony Bourdain for ruining such a wonderful restaurant.

But a SMG is on the list or something like the Gaucho Grill. The problem is I have been loving my steaks on a $20 mini Weber and some chunks of smoking wood. So not sure spending that kind of money on a grill is super smart. Smoking some babybacks tomorrow, first time, will be interesting to see how those turn out.

Skip to 31:40 for Robert et Louise. The irony of his "everything that makes this place great would be illegal in the US" is that the place became Americanized after his show placed such a bright spot light on it 15 years ago. My visit was complete with ugly Americans, pretty much the only ones I saw in Paris last year.

Old 09-06-2020, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Thanks for the responses. I do eat oatmeal quite a bit for breakfast but definitely not every morning, which would give the full health effect wrt cholesterol. I've heard about the benefit of red wine but alas, I'm not drinking alcohol these days.

Protein+salad is a pretty good paleo diet, it's more or less what my dad used to eat every night years ago. He liked to cook steaks and chops out on his charcoal grille on the patio and they were delicious, (usually ribeyes chopped for him by a butcher), unfortunately they were always charred on the outside and pink on the inside which may have contributed to the type of cancer he eventually got, in his throat. Charred food plus acid reflux is my guess.

As for as how I feel on this diet, I feel fantastic. I definitely eat too much sugar and carbs as well, I love bread. I need to work on that. I have had kidney stones in the past, more than once, I know that I'm not following the anti-stone diet very well. But the steak doesn't make me feel sluggish at all and my digestive system is running like a Swiss watch for the most part.

I need to step-up the exercise and cut back on the fat and sugar in my diet. I'm inspired by our Seahawk and his "wog" regime, (walk+jog), anyone can do that regardless of fitness level and benefit from it. Ive done soma good long bicycle rides this summer when I'm down in Minneapolis and chores up here but it's not steady enough.

Lastly, everyone's genetics are different, even though general advice wrt healthy diets is legitimate. I'm blessed w good health genetics, I see people my age who are far older in biological terms than me. Their health and vitality is gone...it's sad and has to effect mood.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Nice guy eddie

Garage
Most of what I've been eating is like this:
Old 09-06-2020, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Cooked about like this, (medium...can't hack raw beef):

Old 09-06-2020, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: