Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
YAY. my honda generator is purring along in my backyard.

another Blackout in my neighborhood. faack.

before i pack up and move to Washington State, i have one more move in me. i am going to find a house in my city that is right next to a hospital so it shares the same electrical grid

it was a total heatwave this weekend, so i stocked my freezer with Mexican Popsicles (Paletas) . hahhaha..timing is everything.

this one (blackout) is scheduled to be two days. those little Honda Generators are the best. it took one-two pulls to start after i winterized it for storage. well, it started after i switched it to "ON" (you should have heard my mumble cussing )

Old 09-08-2020, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
They are good to have. Is yours an "inverter" type, Cliff? They are supposed to be much quieter.

I picked up a new one this year that can run off both gas and propane and is surprisingly quiet.

Mostly for hurricanes that knock out power here. Hopefully I won't need it but they are worth their weight in gold when you do.

Old 09-08-2020, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

We have outages on rare occasions but no blackouts. The power company made a statement they wouldn't turn off power in high fire danger areas. Although areas around us are high risk, our specific area was risk downgraded a couple of years ago but is still lumped with the higher risk ones. While other areas can have rolling blackouts, I guess we're immune to them. I guess that's at least some consulation. For times when we have outages, I have a 10kW generator to run some different cirucuits in the house.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
yes. i have a 2200EU. it is very quiet. could it be quieter?..sure.

but a guy across the canal turns on the loudest unit and it drowns mine out. haha

i went to go and set up my old lady neighbors honda. her Solar panel battery system SUCKS..it failed to switch to the battery yet again. get this..her grown ass grandson came and got the generator. what a dick. the lady is 92!! oh well, she is on her own. i cannot fire electricity out my ass.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evans, Marv View Post
The power company made a statement they wouldn't turn off power in high fire danger areas.
Wait until they have a liability of $30 billion (and counting)...I'd shut the power off too. PG&E does a lot of stuff I don't agree with but making them 100% responsible for anything and everything that could possibly happen by providing a service, even due to an act of God, is an option... but then no one should be surprised when they cut off that service at the slightest hint of a breeze.

The courts assigned a liability, they can't afford, due to wildfires, so might as well just keep doing what they are doing

"So for hitting this guy I get charged $50,000 which I don't have? Well, hell, I may as well go for a hundred." - Al Bundy
Old 09-08-2020, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I have an Onan 3500 in my camper and my plan is just park it in my driveway if I ever need it. Internal gas storage of 30 gallons so that is nice.

Those Honda ones are nice an quiet.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
i cannot fire electricity out my ass.
How do you know? Have you tried?

Quote:
i went to go and set up my old lady neighbors honda. her Solar panel battery system SUCKS..it failed to switch to the battery yet again. get this..her grown ass grandson came and got the generator. what a dick.
Wow, what a prince.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 09-08-2020, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
yes. i have a 2200EU. it is very quiet. could it be quieter?..sure.

but a guy across the canal turns on the loudest unit and it drowns mine out. haha

i went to go and set up my old lady neighbors honda. her Solar panel battery system SUCKS..it failed to switch to the battery yet again. get this..her grown ass grandson came and got the generator. what a dick. the lady is 92!! oh well, she is on her own. i cannot fire electricity out my ass.
What Solar/Battery system does she have?
Old 09-08-2020, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-beard View Post
What Solar/Battery system does she have?
Sunrun. i believe it is a leased system.

total piece of crap as far as i can tell. that company sucked from the getgo. they told her that her roof was adequate just to sell her a system. once the installers showed up, they called off the install due to an inadequate roof. she had to replace her roof.

i knew her roof was no-go and i told her so.

i will get my own system soon..it will not be Sunrun.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Contact me before you do and I can steer you in the right direction.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
We Were Always Free

I have two of thees still in the boxes:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200698134_200698134?cm_mmc=Bing-pla&utm_source=Bing_PLA&utm_medium=Generators%20%3E%20Inverter%20Generator s&utm_campaign=Honda%20Power%20Equipment&utm_content=63419&msclkid=1d561444486c10c5b55c4b138644593e

I have the kit that connects them.

I also have a Husqvarna with a Honda motor, PTO powered gen, new something gen I bought cause, because.

I think I am good

Power is good.

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." – Winston Churchill
Old 09-08-2020, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911boost View Post
I have an Onan 3500 in my camper and my plan is just park it in my driveway if I ever need it. Internal gas storage of 30 gallons so that is nice. Those Honda ones are nice an quiet.
We do the same. Run lines from the RV. 75 gallons of gas running it, 5000W.

Keep the sump pumps and fridge running and if it goes on too long without climate controls, we'll just move into the RV.

2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
2010 Harley “48”
2013 Honda 250 CRF
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 09-08-2020, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

(the shotguns)

Have the Honda 2200 as well. It's never been a two pull start but it always starts. recently added the third party kit that converts the 'on/off' switch to a fuel switch so you can run the fuel out of the carb with each use. have done that for years with a 2 stroke outboard used in winter and it has proven to work.
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

I use ethanol free gas in mower / blower / chainsaw.

Start first pull after months of sitting. Maybe even a year. A thought.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWJ View Post
I use ethanol free gas in mower / blower / chainsaw.

Start first pull after months of sitting. Maybe even a year. A thought.
i do this. at least on what i anticipate to be the last tank.

this blackout was announced last minute, so i could only run out for some plain-jane super unleaded.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Used User

The hospital's grid won't help. They are on the same lines you are if you live nearby. They have, or should have, a complete back up system.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
This is not directed at anyone.

Please, please, please be safe with the generators. The fumes have carbon-monoxide. There have been 10 deaths in St. Charles from CO poisoning due to improper placement of generators and fumes getting into the houses.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

I also have a Honda 2200... it’s a dam good generator. A bit loud though. I also have a Honeywell 5500 that is much more guiet. Solar is in my future since we now get these summer/ fall blackouts. Used to be just in the winter when it snowed. The new normal.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Roughing it. Hehe.

Old 09-08-2020, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Could use one of those Honda Generators to charge up the Nissan Leaf

Old 09-08-2020, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: