Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Boomerang Kids

Man this is a weird year. In many ways. Did you know that a higher percent of young adults are living at home than any time since the Great Depression?

Daughter graduated from college in June. No job. Moved home. She hasnt lived at home in six years. Fortunately she found a stopgap job, teaching French to two 1st graders in a French immersion school that has gone online. You cant learn a language from a couple hours of Zoom a day, and they have to reach a certain level of proficiency to be able to move on to 2nd grade. And their respective parents make good money. So, hire my French-fluent daughter for 40 hours/week at $24/hr with benefits. Im telling her, save your money, if this continues for the whole school year youll have $30K! Thanks to full room and board chez Dad.

Son went off to start his sophmore year at University of Oregon. Classes are online, but he needs to be living away from home, and anyway he and his buddies rented a house and were stuck with the lease, so whatever. He left Saturday. Then big fires broke out east of Eugene and Salem, the air is full of smoke, the eastern sky is glowing, communities not far to the east are under evacuation order, so he packed his valuables in his trusty Toyota Corolla station wagon and drove home.

I thought wed be empty nesters. Were a full house. Well, Ill just enjoy having them around. Their mom, feels, differently.

Old 09-08-2020, 11:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Well...you did build an awesome tree house for them!

So why is she living back at home and what's her exit strategy?

Your wife is correct imo... if ya don't believe me... just ask her
Old 09-09-2020, 03:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
We Were Always Free

We had one or both of them home from March to the end of July.

My son finished law school from our living room and then studied for the bar before heading to his job in Norfolk.

Daughter transitioned from NYC to Charleston and stayed with us while her apartment situation was getting sorted out. She lives in downtown. Daughter was here this weekend and it was great.

I frankly miss them, so does my wife. The whole empty nest thing is overrated in my opinion.

He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Winston Churchill

Last edited by Seahawk; 09-09-2020 at 05:13 AM..
Old 09-09-2020, 04:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Our oldest was working in Ireland - he was sent back in March so he has been staying with us. That company is in trouble and Covid is making it worse- he was laid off a couple weeks ago. He accepted a job off yesterday (he had been looking before he was laid off) - since he will be in the US he is looking for an apartment and a car.

The middle son is pretty comfortable at home and in the Marine reserves. He is working and slowly getting through college. I expect he will move out when his brother does.

Our daughter graduated in May. She has a job (was part time, now full time) in Ohio and she needs to finish her certification exam there, She has 7 months to run on her lease. Depending on job prospects she will stay there or come home.

We had 2 years with no kids at home. It doesn't matter much to me, My wife is happier with the kids around.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I know things are lots different than in the olden days when I left home. My mom turned my old bedroom into a sewing room within a week of my departure. I see movies and TV shows where an adult goes to visit their parents and their bedrooms are just the way they left it. I always wonder how many parents do that.

The couple that lives across the street from us have three kids. Two girls and boy. All of them grew up, and moved off. And one at a time, they all came back home for a while. Just the youngest daughter is "back home" right now. She recently got married, and they are having a house built that is not done as yet.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 09-09-2020, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
The key is to be close enough for the grand kids to come over on a regular basis, or even better you go to their house.

This trend of the kids living with the parents is not even a bit surprising. If the economy crushing lockdown gets lifted, this turns right aroung.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Did you get the memo?

My oldest is a junior in high school. If he were heading into college I would be strongly pushing him to take a year off and just work full time. With the inevitable push/pull of cases and online vs on-campus this year is going to be a mess.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Zink Racer

I'm more likely to go live with one of my kids than them move back in with us :-) I miss them. The last one at home was my son. That was 6 years ago for a summer before his Army career started after college.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
I have the occasional nightmare of finding myself at my current age living back at home. ...and sometimes It turns good and I get to move out again. Nothing against my family but I like having my own life.

2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
2010 Harley 48
2013 Honda 250 CRF
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 09-09-2020, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

I actually moved back for a month when I was 50.

I was moving from Tenn and had just bought a new business and a house under renovation.

I parked all my crap in the garage of the new place and spent all my spare time working with the business and chasing after the contractors on the new place.. I was ready to get into the new place after a month even though the new place was only 50% complete.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstreit View Post
I have the occasional nightmare of finding myself at my current age living back at home. ...and sometimes It turns good and I get to move out again. Nothing against my family but I like having my own life.
I loved my parents with all my heart, and they were great parents. The thought of moving back in with them for even one night was not something I wanted to ever do. I never spent the night at their house ever again after I left. I only lived 5 miles away and I had my own house, just no reason to not sleep in my bed in my house.

I understand there are a infinite number of situations, but mine did not include me sleeping there.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 09-09-2020, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

I couldn’t wait to get out of my parent’s house! I moved out at 19 and only “moved back” for a month, though it was basically me leaving my stuff at their house and me sleeping on the couches of my friends.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

I saw on the news yesterday - 52% of Millenials are living at home - w/Mom and Dad.

'83 SC Targa - since 5/5/2001
'06 911 S Aerokit - from 5/2/2016 to 11/14/2018
Old 09-09-2020, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

With the start of the industrial evolution and the end of the farm age beginning in the early 1900s, safety bicycles (both wheels same size and low to the ground) allowed youth the option of extended straying from the homestead. They were fast and did not require the family work equipment and work animals to move.

This youthful-independence movement was highly accentuated in the 1950's with new war wealth, new roads and highways, and now vehicles and gas were inexpensive enough to be a luxury item that everyone could afford instead of an expensive business investment.

By the 1960s-1980s, youthful independence had peaked culturally and it was customary for parents to reject their children at the specific and exact age of 18 until the age of 30-40, when reconciliation would usually occur.

But during most of the many tens of thousands of years of existence of humanity itself, there has always been three-generational households.
Each serving a purpose.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Thankfully I never had to move back in with M&D once I left, but my dad always told me I was welcome to "as long as that's not the end of the plan" as he would say.

I assume I'll have the same approach towards my son...got a while though, can't kick him out now since he just turned 6
Old 09-09-2020, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Information Overloader

I'd let my grandkids (oldest is 4) move in before I'd let my kids. I screwed my kids up so bad I'm ready for a do-over with the g-kids.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I’d love for my son to move back home. We have a great relationship, laugh at each other’s jokes, and love the same movies. We were always close like that but he’s 23, living in Denver where his nurse girlfriend is, and enjoying himself. He’s still going to school on my gi bill at UoC and I’m probably not getting him back anytime soon. My current wife has 4 boys, 2 of which are off at school, said at 18 she wants them out and not coming back unless they have to.

I’m not sure how she can feel that way. I’d love to have a house full of kids again. It feels empty around here with only two of hers left here. We have a large 1 story so the kids have their own wing and we don’t even see them unless theyre in the kitchen.

I guess everyone’s different but her family was a lot less close and loving than mine and I’d love having my all my loved ones all under one roof where I know they’re safe and I’d get to see and talk to them everyday. It makes me happier to have them all around and lonely when the house is empty.
I tried to talk her into to letting me knock her up a few years ago so I’d have another 18 years until I had to go through all this but she said hell no, she was done.
Tony

Last edited by Bigtoe32067; 09-09-2020 at 03:18 PM..
Old 09-09-2020, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

At 31yrs old, I moved back home. Prior to that, my employer was contemplating full retirement. He came to me with his conundrum, to which I confirmed that it was the right decision to retire. He didn't want to let me down, and he didn't.

So I moved home and went back to school. Both of my parents had already retired. It was the best 3 years of my life. I had a part time job, mowed the lawn, recycled the cans, hung the Christmas lights, ate for free, and made the deans list 5 of 6 semesters.

Good times, wish I had it to do all over again!

Her youngest left for college straight out of high school, the university required freshmen to live in the dorm, but he came home every weekend. He did not spend one Friday night in the dorm. He has since moved back in with us and things could not be better. He is a good kid, a little hard on cars, but if I need his help, he's right in there with me fixing away.

Last edited by mattdavis11; 09-10-2020 at 04:56 AM..
Old 09-10-2020, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Still Doin Time

Dad told all of us when we were in our teens: "Remember that when you leave home......that door only swings one way..........shut". He meant it. There was a short time where after making a series of poor choices with the wrong women, had nowhere to live. So I couch surfed, slept in my car a few times........ eventually got back on my feet. Not once did I ever consider asking to live back with my parents briefly. Even though they lived 12 miles away.
'77 Sportster Pro-Street Drag Bike w/93ci - Sold to collector
'72 Yamaha CS5 200 Twin - Sold to fellow Pelicanite
Old 09-10-2020, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
UnRegistered User

Garage
I was out of the house at 18. Short stint in a local college and a few odd jobs in a depressed economy and realized I was going nowhere fast.
Mom and dad allowed me to move back in to the family home while I was in school and for that I am extremely grateful.
I was out again as soon as I graduated and got a job and never moved back. Wow, using all my fingers and toes I figured out that was 34 years ago.

And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: