Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Czech Sheppard (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/1073090-czech-sheppard.html)

cassisrot 09-14-2020 11:57 AM

Czech Sheppard

Anyone have experience with a Czech Sheppard? My daughter is looking at a pup and is stricken. Iíve never heard of that breed. It would have to get along with a Shiba.

petrolhead611 09-14-2020 11:59 AM

Don't buy it if it jumps up and down condtantly.: It will be a bouncing Czech Shepherd.

pavulon 09-14-2020 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cassisrot (Post 11025808)
Anyone have experience with a Czech Sheppard? My daughter is looking at a pup and is stricken. Iíve never heard of that breed. It would have to get along with a Shiba.

I suspect a pup that has known another dog since early on would be fine but not sure about the reciprocal. It seems Czech Sheppards are effectively fundmamentalist German Shepherds.

cassisrot 09-14-2020 12:22 PM

I love Brit humour.

RWebb 09-14-2020 01:30 PM

It's a German Shepherd without the monocle.

The real question is whether the 'bloodline' was established for guarding, etc. or as pets.

The breeder should ideally have some info from a website on genetics (inbreeding) for dog breeders (I forget the website's link) - at minimum, the breeder should know both parents health histories and same for all 4 grandparents. Most large breeds are subject to hip dysplasia so ask for info on that back for 2 generations.

A good breeder will also socialize the puppies to humans and human noises (e.g. puppies are exposed to TV playing Westerns while eating, playing).

cassisrot 09-14-2020 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWebb (Post 11025938)
It's a German Shepherd without the monocle.

The real question is whether the 'bloodline' was established for guarding, etc. or as pets.

The breeder should ideally have some info from a website on genetics (inbreeding) for dog breeders (I forget the website's link) - at minimum, the breeder should know both parents health histories and same for all 4 grandparents. Most large breeds are subject to hip dysplasia so ask for info on that back for 2 generations.

A good breeder will also socialize the puppies to humans and human noises (e.g. puppies are exposed to TV playing Westerns while eating, playing).

Good advice. Thank you.

nota 09-14-2020 02:23 PM

hip's ?

nota 09-14-2020 02:27 PM

I like mixed breeds

inbred's have problems esp new / rare latest trends

current dog is a GSD+CHOW / LAB+? = mix/mut

Roswell 09-14-2020 02:38 PM

Make sure both parents are OFA certified....this is important.

Skytrooper 09-14-2020 02:54 PM

The Czech Shepherd has, to me, a much nicer coloring.

MAS956 09-14-2020 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petrolhead611 (Post 11025811)
Don't buy it if it jumps up and down condtantly.: It will be a bouncing Czech Shepherd.

Or if it hides. Then it would be a cached Czech Shepherd.

Steve Carlton 09-14-2020 08:36 PM

If it has all the needed AKC documentation and shots it would be a certified Czech Shepherd.

SiberianDVM 09-15-2020 05:35 AM

I'd rather have a young Cybill Shepherd.

javadog 09-15-2020 05:54 AM

Be sure you get a good one, you wouldn’t want a bad Czech Shepherd.

ckelly78z 09-15-2020 06:15 AM

Make sure you get a young puppy that you can train from an early age, and socialize properly. My daughter got a German Sheppard from an Amish puppy farm where she was the last of the litter, and 4 months old...she had no idea how to play with toys, or how to interact with other dogs, or strange people. At 3 years old, she is still neurotic, and flighty, but a good dog none the less.

Rikao4 09-15-2020 06:55 AM

if it's a true C Shepherd..
then it's a working dog..
and would be $$$$$$...
and if it's a reputable breeder..
he choose's owner's..
not the other way around..
we interviewed 2 times for my Rott's..
was on his waiting list for over a year..
owning working dogs is different...
lot's of training..lots of exercise..
and vigilance along with Insurance..

Rika..

Steve Carlton 09-15-2020 06:59 AM

Get a thorough PPI and get that Czech Shepherd checked.

stomachmonkey 09-15-2020 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rikao4 (Post 11026702)
if it's a true C Shepherd..
then it's a working dog..
and would be $$$$$$...
and if it's a reputable breeder..
he choose's owner's..
not the other way around..
we interviewed 2 times for my Rott's..
was on his waiting list for over a year..
owning working dogs is different...
lot's of training..lots of exercise..
and vigilance along with Insurance..

Rika..

Word.

Neighbor got a Black German Shepard from a breeder of security dogs.

Angus, stunning animal, a real specimen.

They did not skimp on training either. The whole family was involved.

But Angus was not a couch potato, very high prey drive.

While he was not aggressive to the family the kids were afraid of him.

After a year or so they had to return him to the breeder because in addition to the family dynamics Angus was bored which did not help at all.

Angus ended up a Federal LEO. He's a breach dog. Apparently very happy with his new gig and very good at it.

Some dogs just don't make good pets, they need more.

Rodsrsr 09-15-2020 05:44 PM

A Czech Shepard is not for the novice owner. They have an unusually high working drive and can be aggressive if you don't maintain a high alpha status, however these same characteristics make them ideal for military and police work. I would not recommend that breed for a family pet.

WPOZZZ 09-15-2020 06:15 PM

A Dax Sheppard will keep you entertained. A working dog shepherd will make you the entertainment.