Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Well, I get about 200 miles with the Cobra. Then again, I drive that harder than our other cars. I think it gets close to 20mpg when other family members drive. Even then, the electric will need a really good sound system to sound like a high strung V8.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Why would I want to power my car with coal and/or fund the Chinese battery and rare earth mining industries when I can fuel my fleet with American produced oil and gas?

Also, I don't drive enough miles to make an EV make sense from an emissions standpoint -- not that I care about reducing plant-friendly CO2...
Old 09-17-2020, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
Yeah, the OPEC countries are certainly morally superior to China. Good call supporting them.

Keep it up, guys, this is entertaining.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
Also, I'm still wondering what you power your homes with... that question might have gotten lost at the end of the previous page.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
re-tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc View Post
Yeah, the OPEC countries are certainly morally superior to China. Good call supporting them.

Keep it up, guys, this is entertaining.
Um, you do realize we are self-reliant when it comes to oil, and don't need oil from OPEC, right?

So the question would be who would you rather support: the good old US of A, or china?
yer welcome.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
re-tired

Quote:
What does your home run on???
Most likely, it is powered by energy derived from burning natural gas.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Brew Master

Garage
Somehow even with an electric conversion I'm pretty sure most 911's would still leak oil.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I can drive my 911 easy 500 miles on one tank of gas on road trips. I usually just fill up after 450 miles but on the final leg back home I like to use up any corn gas and fill up a few blocks from home on pure gasoline. A little over 900 miles will be enough for any one day.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 09-17-2020, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg2 View Post
Most likely, it is powered by energy derived from burning natural gas.
Energy?
You really don't like to say the word, do you?
Old 09-17-2020, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Registered

Australia. All of that sunshine... And about 60% of their electricity comes from burning coal.

Electric cars should be banned in that country. They are too bad for the environment.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg2 View Post
Um, you do realize we are self-reliant when it comes to oil, and don't need oil from OPEC, right?

So the question would be who would you rather support: the good old US of A, or china?
yer welcome.
It's a commodity, and until we ban imports our demand still effects the price they get for their oil.

Not really sure why China was brought in to this... AFAIK they aren't the largest producer of any lithium battery material. I realize they may produce some batteries, but not the good ones. (Anecdotally, all of the failed battery cells i have had lately were cheap chinese ones in junky electronics)

Up here we get most of our electricity from hydro, wind, and nuclear, so definitely supporting the motherland with that.

I don't understand why everyone acts so threatened by EVs... it's just another technology.
Would you swap your CIS injection for ITBs and modern EFI?
Would you drop in a 3.6 and a hydraulic clutch G50 from a 993?
Would you swap in a in a motor and batteries from a Taycan?
Old 09-17-2020, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
I like the sound of an internal combustion engine too much to ever consider that.

I tried watching Randy Pobst run Pikes Peak in a Tesla, but got bored, and turned it off because of only hearing the rocks hit the fender wells !
I can't find the like button!
2001 Jetta TDI dead
1982 Chevette Diesel SOLD
Old 09-17-2020, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
What a great idea

... for cult vehicles like VW Buses etc. where the interest is not in the engine
Old 09-18-2020, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
Quote:
depends on where he lives

if his rock is in the PNW it is mostly hydro

NG is better than coal and for the US avg. it powers ~~ 1/4 of the grid
Old 09-18-2020, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWebb View Post

NG is better than coal and for the US avg. it powers ~~ 1/4 of the grid
Natural gas is about 75% as bad as coal. It's not that great.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
just for one metric - coal has lots of other bad things - mining, transport, ashes, etc.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Bland

Garage

coal ashes...
Old 09-18-2020, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Functionista

Electric cars leak alright. I've seen them leak smoke and fire comparable to a fueled vehicle.
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Registered

Silly stuff. Vintage cars have a smell, sound, and feel due to their mechanics. retrofitting them just for their looks has no appeal to me. Might as well buy the latest greatest with AC, wifi, etc if electric is your goal. Electric makes your car just a tool like your phone or computer. Can they accelerate, sure, great, so what, most vintage cars arent judged on that. The retrofit range for them is horrid. I looked at a lease on an Egolf, says 100 mile range, real world testing is 56 miles. My commuter is 40 miles each way and I would need to upgrade my panel any home to add a decent charger. Oh, by the way California shuts the grid down on a semi regular basis , rather have a few gallons in the tank than have to buy battery or Tesla wall back up.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Dog-faced pony soldier

Garage
Quote:
Why d’ya think I don’t want my vehicle depending on the same thing?!?! The grid is awful!

Old 09-18-2020, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: