Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Financially it would be real estate, a high end house in a swanky area that did very well, then some industrial property that I traded for a loser of a business.

Tool-wise for sure my three Ryobi battery tools. The drill, the impact driver, and the 1/2" impact gun. Fantastic value.

Old 09-21-2020, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltgambler View Post
For me it was spending a few hundred to rent this truck and trailer - to take my work tool box full of tools down to central Va - to give to my brother-in-law's son who served and fought in Afghanistan. He came back broken, no real skills, tried, then failed to make his way in the post housing depression.

Along the way he was married, divorced with child, had another with a girlfriend. There is a lot more to the story that I posted here about a year ago.

A few years later he seemed to really respond to working on cars although he had little experience. He found a full time job basically changing oil and doing minor work and he flourished with that. Problem was he didn't have much in tools or money to buy them with.

He doesn't have that problem anymore

That's his dad pictured who helped me clean and wax the tool boxes, sort and organize the tools inside. We left the next morning, at dawns crak to head to his work @ 3hours away. He had no idea we were coming

BTW - that's a 100 yr anniversary edition Snap-On box - and his son is a BIG Harley guy! - Total win all way 'round!
I remember the previous post about him. So are things continuing to move in a positive direction for him. Is he doing well?
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 09-21-2020, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
Retired, finally

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
Pics, or it didn't happen !
She made sure that they were destroyed before she left! (Pre-digital)
2009 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S; 1999 E36 M3 Coupe; 1998 Porsche Boxster; 1989 Toyota Supra ChumpCar; 1989 Alfa Romeo Spider; 1977 Porsche 911S Targa 3.2L"Bwunhilde II" chimera; 1970 Datsun 240Z 2.9L "dogZilla" project
Old 09-21-2020, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
Registered

As far as tools go, my wife got me the DeWalt 20volt 5 pack for Christmas https://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/combo-kits/20v-max-lithium-ion-5tool-combo-kit-30ah/dck590l2

I used this system to completely tear down, and rebuild our main floor bathroom, also used them to build my wife a 10x16 greenhouse;

https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-GreenHouse-Build-Solid-Structure/
Old 09-21-2020, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Counterclockwise?

Garage
Divorce lawyer .....both times.
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 09-21-2020, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 Rod View Post
Divorce lawyer .....both times.
Plus a lump sum, plus support, but not twice.

Still 100x better off...there are truly toxic people in the world. Avoid them.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

unsafe at any speed

Coleman gas camping stove. Little thing looks like a webber kettle... Has a metal grate, a griddle with both ribbed and smooth sides, and a top that is used for a wok. Wife and I like to lake Kayak to islands in the National Forest and wilderness camp. The little stove fits behind the seat of my Kayak.

Old 09-21-2020, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
Registered

Darn. Now I feel hungry

Good cooker, Bill.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Hard to counter the camping stove, a solid choice.

I bought Scout off CL for $120 about 10 years ago. He continues to be the calming & loving influence in our home. My wife, who resisted the integration, now is his biggest fan. Another year or 3 before he crosses that threshold out of our life. I am nearly tearing up just typing that. Best money I have ever parted with.

Here is Scout when we got him and now.

Old 09-21-2020, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
Registered

I could say paying for my three kids education but being selfish I’m going with my tractor and roto hammer. Every time I use them I realize how hard things were without them.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
I see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsinrugs View Post
I could say paying for my three kids education but being selfish I’m going with my tractor and roto hammer. Every time I use them I realize how hard things were without them.
I consider my kids tuition as an investment in the quality of nursing home that I eventually enter.

“There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our overthrow. Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence.”
Old 09-22-2020, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
Still Doin Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post
I remember the previous post about him. So are things continuing to move in a positive direction for him. Is he doing well?
Yes - he did marry the girlfriend, have a second child with her - so now 3 kids total but all OK. Early this year the indie garage he was working for went under, before he had time to figure out what to do, a local wealthy guy who has a Hot Rod shop hired him for more money, better benefits.

He loves his new job, and apparently they love him. He received a significant bump with his medical compensation for injuries sustained in his service for our country.
Those two events allowed him to buy a nice house in a rural area with 15 acres about 6 months ago.

From all we see, it couldn't be going any better for that young man and his family. He texts me often and my wife mentors his wife. Awesome!
'77 Sportster Pro-Street Drag Bike w/93ci - Sold to collector
'72 Yamaha CS5 200 Twin - Sold to fellow Pelicanite
Old 09-22-2020, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltgambler View Post
From all we see, it couldn't be going any better for that young man and his family. He texts me often and my wife mentors his wife. Awesome!
It's good to hear about true success stories like this, he just needed a boost that your tools gave him, and changed his life for the better....good on you !
Old 09-22-2020, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
One of the great purchases I made was just after I bought my first house. The former owner of the house sold me his old lawn mower for $25. I used that mower for 20 years. The engine was just worn out and had crappy compression after all that use. It required a shot of starting spray in the carburetor to start. It smoked a lot so I had to add oil every time before I used it.

I sold it for 20 bucks and gave the guy the can of starting spray that was almost empty.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 09-22-2020, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
Registered

Eyeglasses and electric toothbrush.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)
Counterclockwise?

Garage
Breath mints for my dog.
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 09-22-2020, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I also remember one chick that I bought her a drink at a bar. She was great fun.

1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 09-22-2020, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: