Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
Van life?

What do you think owning a van as a daily driver would be like?

My wife randomly dropped, “you should get a van”

Hmm. KIDNAPR or FREHUGS would be my license plate for sure. She thinks I should get a box van so I can drive around with a kayak. Strange lady. But it did get me thinking. Build up a sleeping platform. Easy camping and fishing. Used vans are affordable.

Old 09-25-2020, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned

Garage
Van Life is a hipster term for people living in a van and traveling (not a big RV like old people; not a junker like the homeless)

is that what you mean?
Old 09-25-2020, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

I logged 55,000 miles over two consecutive summers in an '85 Westfalia. I went to all 49 states on the continent. Good times! Then I got married.
1983 VW Westfalia; 1989 VW Syncro Tristar Doka
550 Beck Spyder, 1989
Old 09-25-2020, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned

Garage
There are LOTS of options...

Old 09-25-2020, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWebb View Post
Van Life is a hipster term for people living in a van and traveling (not a big RV like old people; not a junker like the homeless)

is that what you mean?
Nope. Not at all. Just want secure travel options for fishing the western states. And Minnesota
Old 09-25-2020, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Webb, daily driver.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner or later View Post
webb, daily driver.
:d
Old 09-25-2020, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
What do you think owning a van as a daily driver would be like?

My wife randomly dropped, “you should get a van”

Hmm. KIDNAPR or FREHUGS would be my license plate for sure. She thinks I should get a box van so I can drive around with a kayak. Strange lady. But it did get me thinking. Build up a sleeping platform. Easy camping and fishing. Used vans are affordable.

That wouldn't be that bad. Like a pickup with a camper shell.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Old 09-25-2020, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

I had a Dodge Ram 250 conversion van as a DD for many years... with the raised roof. When I purchased it from a dentist, I ripped out most of the stuff in the rear he had, leaving just the bench seat/bed. My girl, dog, and I had a blast in it.... perfect for fishing (pulled my bass boat), races, and hippie music festivals, etc.

That van rocked
Old 09-25-2020, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post

daily driver

Build up a sleeping platform. Easy camping and fishing.
You have diametrically opposite desires going - you will want stand up room, head space too & that makes it worse; will you cook the fish where you are parked? in the rain?

So what you choose will have to compromise one or the other

VW Vanagon Westy used to be the best compromise (poptop) - mine was used by just that (it has a stove and the rivers here have... trout!)

but it was underpowered and not reliable

Would a Ford Transit work for you? A co. called GT-RV will mod many different vans - for $$
Old 09-25-2020, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
The Ford Transits with the Ecoboost V6 really scoot.
The tall ones get blown around by the wind a lot.
If you're in the city much, the length can occaisionally be a bother.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Banned

Garage
The Benz Sprinter (or Dodge) is all the rage now, but they are huge. Good for traveling the "western states" not a good DD
Old 09-25-2020, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Dog-faced pony soldier

Garage
The gold standard:

Old 09-25-2020, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

I rode in one of those Dodge/Benz camper thing with 5 guys, and no cargo. It rode like my diesel truck. I am sure once loaded they rode much nicer. We have a Sienna, wife, myself and kids love it, but if you are thinking utility van, for the money, they can't be beat. Huge cargo space with enough room to sleep in along with all types of gear. They suck gas if you are like most people, compare them to a 3 cylinder Geo. I am a truck guy. All the siht can rattling all day long outside in the bed is enough for me not to get a cargo van. I can't deal with squeaking or rattling behind me in that large space echoing off the steel box. I really like those Dodge Sphincter vans. They are tall, enough for me to stand up in.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile View Post
The gold standard:

Dang it, you just put Somebody's Baby in my head just looking at that pic. "She's gotta be someone baby"
Old 09-25-2020, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgzJupBkVyA

I have been wanting one of these since I saw it about 7-8 years ago

Vash, this is what you need
Old 09-25-2020, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Banned

Garage
It's what he needs but is an Earth Bruiser what he want to pay for???
Old 09-25-2020, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWebb View Post
The Benz Sprinter (or Dodge) is all the rage now, but they are huge. Good for traveling the "western states" not a good DD
some use the old you can't kill it 3.0 5cyl turbo diesel same as the 300sd 70-80's
Old 09-25-2020, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via AIM to petrolhead611
Sprinters and Transits are both rust buckets here in the UK. The VW T4 and T5 have a cult following hence used prices are high. We also have Renaults, Citroen/Peugeot)Vauxhall, and Fiats to choose from.

Vindicator Vulcan V8 spyder, street legal sports racing car
(300hp,1400 lbs kerb weight) used for sprints on circuits, and hillclimbs
Old 09-25-2020, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: