Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Used User

Shop Vac no more.

Another one bites the COVID dust.

Many sources say this is pretty much fact.

Shop Vac. Who hasn't had one at one time or another. I just tossed an old SV, metal can with orange diamonds painted on the side. Now it's selling as a classic at new vac prices.

Old 09-29-2020, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

I still use my grandpaps metal can shop vac at work
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 09-29-2020, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Driver, not Mechanic

You'd think people at home would find projects where a Shop-Vac is needed, but I guess the brand cachet isn't what it used to be...

My Shop-Vac gets a lot of use in the garage.

Last edited by wildthing; 09-30-2020 at 09:52 AM..
Old 09-29-2020, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

My shop vac is an old Tellus, the sort that looks like a Dalek.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
We had the same one! died about 5 years ago. Shop vac is about 20 miles from me on the other side of town
Old 09-29-2020, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

I think the "shop vac" that I had when I had a house was Rigid brand. I used the heck out of it.

I think the only "Shop Vac" branded models that I've ever seen before were black and red and plastic. The metal canister is cool.

I'm probably going to need another one soon.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 09-29-2020, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Information Overloader

I think the new SV are garbage. The one I replaced my 35 year old Crafstman with was. And so was the second one that replaced the first (shame on me).
Old 09-29-2020, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I guess I should go and grab some bags foam filter and a new hose for my old shop vac.
It has to be at least 20 years old and has worked well for me.
Too bad, it seems like they have been around forever. No experience with their recent offerings.
And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Used User

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybek View Post
I guess I should go and grab some bags foam filter and a new hose for my old shop vac.
It has to be at least 20 years old and has worked well for me.
Too bad, it seems like they have been around forever. No experience with their recent offerings.
Started in 1953 and still family owned. The granddaughter was running the company as of late.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche930dude View Post
We had the same one! died about 5 years ago. Shop vac WAS(?) about 20 miles from me on the other side of town
You know they've "closed" up shop right?
Williamsport, Pa. – The Shop-Vac Corporation will be closing. The company, which has over 1,700 employees worldwide, informed staff members this morning. According to multiple sources, most of the employees lost their job today and a few administrative-level employees will remain through the end of the week

'83 SC Targa - since 5/5/2001
'06 911 S Aerokit - from 5/2/2016 to 11/14/2018
Old 09-30-2020, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Oh i meant the one in kirwood ny. Theres not too many emplyees there. I dont know if they are even still there. I guess they wont be but i havnt heard anything on the news. Kinda weird shop vac is closing down since Lowes carries them. They are pretty crappy though. I think 90% of the ones iv used the on-off switch on top wasnt working right. you would think as little electrical components there are in them they could get it right. Too bad
Old 09-30-2020, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
I have a small Hoover "shop vac" that I've had since the mid 90's; it's on its way out - the motor bearings make a horrible squeal - but she still sucks. I imagine if I bought a new one today it wouldn't last 3 years.
Various VWs
Old 09-30-2020, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Back in the saddle again

Wow, what crazy timing and unfortunate events.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 09-30-2020, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I have a shop vac, small one, that is 15 years old. It doesn't get used much and hte motor makes an awful noise. It is handy to use with the RO Sander to keep the dust down. That is about it.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
innovate or die.

i cant believe Maglite survived the onslaught of way cooler flashlights.

dont be Blockbuster video.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
innovate or die.

Around here security guards aren't allowed to carry guns. But if they already have something in their hands that they used for self defense they are in the clear. So the big heavy Maglites are a good seller in NZ.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I had no idea Shop Vac was a brand. I thought it was a generic term used to describe the product. I guess like Kleenex, Vice Grip, Channel Lock, Xerox, Aspirin, and Skill Saw it fell into general use as the name of a product regardless of brand.

I have a "Shop Vac" that I honestly have no idea who made it. I have had it for many years, but it is big and LOUD a just not easy to use. I drag it out of my storage building when cleaning up some items like the AC compressor outside to get the leaves out of the bottom that somehow got in there.

For cleaning up in the garage I mostly use a much smaller "car vac" that is not a wet or dry, but works for 98% of the stuff I want to suck up.

It is sad to see another American brand go away. I am sure some Chinese company will buy the name and they brand will be back, just as a cheap POS Chinese product. Maybe it won't have spyware embedded in it.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 10-01-2020, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
My wife went to use our one and came back and said “It’s making noise, but it’s just not sucking like it used to anymore”.
I looked up from what I was doing and said “Frustrating, isn’t it?”

Last edited by gsxrken; 10-01-2020 at 07:46 AM..
Old 10-01-2020, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
innovate or die.

Iíve never had a Maglight flashlight that kept working for more than a year or so after I bought it. I probably have a drawer full of the stupid things, thinking that someday I might fix them all.

Yeah, hasnít happened yet.

Iím surprised that shop vac has gone out of business. The one industry that seem to do well during the pandemic was the home-improvement industry. I would drive by the big box stores and see their parking lots fuller than Iíve ever seen them. I guess people stuck at home decided to tackle the honeydo lists.

Maybe everybody has too many vacuums now. I have so many that I gave some away when I moved. I probably still have five of the stupid things.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I bought one of the "cop size" mag lights 20+ years ago. I change the batteries in it every 24 months with a reminder on my phone. It stays under the bed on my side. I use it when the dogs are making a ruckus in the back yard or in the rare power outrages that are usually fixed in 30 minutes or less. It still works great, but the new fangled LED flashlights out now are far brighter. However that Mag light is indeed something that would be a handy club. The LED flashlight I have is tiny but brighter and might temporarily blind someone, it is useless as a club.

1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 10-01-2020, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: