Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Administrator

Porsche: A Sports Car Powerhouse

Did you know that 74.6% of Porsches made in 1975 went to the U.S.? As they celebrate their 70th anniversary here, they can thank most of its growth to the U.S. market. Take a look back at the history of Porsche and how it gained its popularity here in the states with the article here.

Share your first memory of Porsche with us below and the first one that caught your eye.

Last edited by Luccia at Pelican Parts; 09-30-2020 at 09:47 AM..
Old 09-30-2020, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Grew up with a next door neighbor who had a black 911 SC coupe. He had it for several years. Sadly the SC was "liberated" from his driveway one night and found stripped. Bummed me out even then.

Last edited by Noah930; 09-30-2020 at 03:48 PM..
Old 09-30-2020, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Like many on this board, I started with a VW bug. I saw a 911 in likely 1966 and fell in love, or lust.

Dad was looking for a new car for the family and I begged (bugged) him enough to take me with him for a test drive in a 911. I was sold, but dad decided an Oldsmobile Delta 88 made more sense for a family of four.

I read every magazine article about Porsche I could find. We lived on base, and I would pedal over and drool on the cool sports cars at the BOQ (Bachelor Officers' Quarters) where mostly young pilots lived. They usually had cool cars. They saw me looking carefully and not touching and asking intelligent questions about their cars so they did not mind me hanging out some.

I got to work earning the money for a Porsche. I worked a regular job, and several side ventures and was working 7 days a week if possible making money. In 1974 I walked into the local VW - Porsche - Audi dealership and was ignored by every salesman there because I was so young. I finally went to the old grey hair guy in an office, pulled up a chair, and stared at him. He finally asked "what can I do for you, son" and I said I am here to order a Porsche in a voice louder than necessary. I special ordered my dream car, a 1974 914 2.0 with the options I wanted, and the Olympia Blue color. They did not have anything like it in the USA, so they finally accepted it had to be special ordered. It took months. Long long months.

On Friday September 13th 1974 just before noon I took delivery of my 914. I brought it back on Monday morning with 601 miles on it for the initial service due at 600 miles. I was sunburned, and had a smile embedded on my face.

20 years later my wife said I needed a Porsche with air Conditioning. I started looking for my 911 and found in in 1995. I sold the 914 a year later. I still miss it, but I have no garage space for it, and I don't need a second toy car.

I have not changed a bit.

This is in about 1982.

I have had my 911 for 25 years and love it even more than the 914.

1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 09-30-2020, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

on Georgia Ave driving through Silver Springs With my teacher, Mr. Hall in his 1956 MG-A a silver 356 pulled up next to us. Mr Hall was excited to see a Porsche and I thought it the most beautiful car I’d ever seen. 13 years later I lived in the Platen Str housing area in Frankfurt and had a Tangerine 911S park in front of my building. It was awesome. 2 years later I bought myself a 69 911E with monies earned for my tour in the Nam. I’ve been a Porsche fan for a long time.

87 Targa
Old 09-30-2020, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
7 or 8 years old...watched the IROC races, boom, hooked.
2015 981 Cayman S
Old Subaru
Old 09-30-2020, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Kantry Member

I know I've posted this here before, sometime in the past 19 years.

I was about 9 years old in the early '60s. The hay had just been put into the barn to feed our dairy herd over the winter and I was sitting on the threshold of the big barn door, letting the warmth of the summer day and the smell of the hay drift over me.
I was pretty aware of cars even then and when the distant sound of the engine came to me, my first thought was "Beetle", but as the sound drew nearer along the road which snaked along the river, I had to wonder.
When it came into view, the relationship to the Beetle was apparent, but it was lower, sleeker and being driven like few VWs ever were. As the car approached the right angle curve which would take it over the bridge, a smooth change in engine noise signalled a drop to third gear and the throttle went down again. The magical machine swept by me, across the bridge and into my memory forever.
It wasn't until my sister and her husband, after returning from a tour of duty in France were showing slides of their trips that I discovered what had captured my imagination so. In a street scene from some town, that shape was crouched at the curb. A question was easily answered by my BIL. "That's a Porsche. They're a sports car you sometimes see over there."
It was almost thirty years before I owned one, ten more before I had my '69 E. Many times I thought of that small boy and the effect that car had upon him.

Best
Les
Old 09-30-2020, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Early 1970. I was at a car wash with my 67 Mustang. This 911s pulled into the bay next to mine. I walked over and started talking to the owner, a Captain in the US Army. After he washed his car he offered me a ride. He drove that sob like he stole it. I was in love.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Early 70's my older brother was in the navy and came home on leave in his 1969 912 . He took me for a few rides and I thought nice car . A year later again on leave he came home with the new and improved 912 . Big bore/hot cams and full suspension treatment . It totally transformed the car and got me hooked on Porsche's .

My brother got out of the navy and enjoyed the car for a few years and then he sold it . The college professor that bought it was into gymkhana and rallies . On a road rally he lost control of the car and wrapped it around a tree ☹️ . Was a sad day when I heard the news . I have been a Porsche guy ever since .
Old 09-30-2020, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

November 11, 1974 I turned ten. My neighbor gave me a model of a 73RS, the model was yellow. At the time my mother had a white VW Bug. As I built the model I thought, looks like mom's car but cooler. A few months later in the spring of 1975, while walking to school I walked passed the local surf shop which was two blocks away to see what Mike was carving in the side yard, as we all did back then. This day sitting in front of the surf shop was a brown Targa, top off, longboard sticking out the top of the passenger side. For the next twelve spring, summer and falls I would see that car in front of the surf shop or at our local surf spots boards out the top. One day it was sitting out in front of the surf shop with one a for sale sign on the dash. I ran in and asked how much? $9,000.00 Mike replied. I gave him a $100.00 deposit. Got home as quickly as I could and told my mom I put a deposit on a car and needed her to co-sign a loan for me. The next day we went to our local bank and I got a loan for $7,500.00 my mom lent me the rest. I still have my 911.

Last edited by drcoastline; 10-01-2020 at 08:11 AM..
Old 09-30-2020, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
My uncle got me hooked with his 914. While in the Navy, I purchased a 914 in 1985 and graduated to 911s in 1992. The 911 was a 1987 which I still have today. Even stored it for over a decade while working overseas.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

14 535i M Sport
Old 10-01-2020, 04:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
In 1969 I had been through a couple of VWs and had a hot-rodded '63 that I thought was da bomb. That summer I went to upstate New York to visit a college friend and the local hang-out was a foreign car garage where the local 356 "gang" hung out. The cars were decambered, interiors stripped, Bursch extractors, Bosch Blue coils, Michelin X tires - some even had roll bars, and they autocrossed them every weekend. I became enthralled with the 356 and wanted one SO BAD!
The chances that a 19 year old working his way through college at a hardware store was going to be able to afford a 356 were slim.
But fate entered the picture.
I saw an ad in Autoweek for a wrecked '64 that was driveable for $250. It was in St. Louis, and I got out there as fast as I could. The car had been hit in the front and the alignment was a little wonky, but the right front tire survived the 250 mile trip home - barely. I kept my eyes open and found a '63 that had been hit in the back. The owner had taken everything of value off the car (he thought) and was ready to sell it cheap.
I cut the front clips off of both cars and welded them together to make my '63/'64 Frankencoupe.

My '64 had been hit in the right front by a Dodge Charger that ran a red light.

I cut the bad stuff off.

I found this front clip within 10 miles from home - in rural Ohio!

I welded the new clip on as best I could with my limited skill.

The year I finished the car I took it on a lap of the country. Ohio - Washington - San Diego - somewhere in Texas my girlfriend and I decided we had had enough of each other and came straight home - missing the southeast and eastern states.

After about 3 years I sold the car, but not before swapping out the steering wheel from the '63. Still have the steering wheel from the first Porsche I ever owned hanging on my office wall.

Last edited by wdfifteen; 10-01-2020 at 05:36 AM..
Old 10-01-2020, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
I know I am a carrier of the Porsche addiction syndrome. One of my wife's friends stopped by on summer day and brought her husband. I was just finishing washing the 911 and asked if he wanted a ride. So we went a couple of miles south of my house. The on-ramp onto I-35 is fun in the 911, and a pain in the El Camino. It is a VERY tight S curve and then a short straight shot to merge with 70 MPH traffic. It is one of my "test run" sections, so I use it a lot.

I took the corner hard, but at 90% or so in very safe levels of corners, then nail the throttle to merge in front of a semi. He thought we were going to roll over at first. I told him there is no way to roll it, it will just slide unless I smack a curb or something. He had never been in a hard corner in a sports car before.

A few months later I heard he has sold his Mercedes, and bought a new Cayman S. Then he bought his wife a Cayenne Turbo. Then he bought a 911 Turbo as a weekend toy. He is a ENT surgeon and makes more money per month than I do in a year. He said he should have bought the painted key to body color option as the key hook has three keys that look about the same at first glance. I have no sympathy for that problem.

1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 10-01-2020, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: