Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Misunderstood User

Garage
My eating out habits have drastically changed. I have never done casual dining - I am a very good cook so I don't go to the chain or franchise restuarants. I go to places that offer menu items that are different or something I choose not to cook.

Carryout - aside from pizza, tacos or sushi, I have carried out 2 times with poor results. Allot of carry out doesn't travel well.

Dine in outside - I have done it a few times but I'm picky where I go. Winter is coming and I am not eating out in a coat

Dine in inside - a few times but I'm still picky.

The other thing I have seen is prices are up and some of the restaurant menus have less items.

So the scale at 1 to 10 was a 7 - it is now down to a 2 or 3. My dining/entertainment monthly spends are way down and I don't see that changing any time soon.

1983 944n/a
2003 Mercedes CLK 500 - totaled. Sanwiched on the Kennedy Expressway

Last edited by jcommin; 10-03-2020 at 06:27 AM..
Old 10-03-2020, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Registered

The sad thing about this year is that it will permanently alter the dining landscape in this country. I don't think it will ever recover to what it was like last year.

Never mind the reluctance of people to go out in public, most restaurants are small businesses and simply won't survive the months of no business. I feel really sorry for the owners of businesses in places like New York, who've got no real prospects for returning to normal this year.

Thanks to those that have tried to pitch in and keep them alive with increased take-out business and greater tips.
Old 10-03-2020, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
We used to eat out ~1-2x a week before the pandemic. This has reduced to take-out about 2x per month.

I do most of the cooking. Eating out was mostly about not having to cook and just getting a change of scenery or "saving time" while running other errands.

We don't miss going out at all.
Old 10-03-2020, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Last night we went to one of the regular places we like. They have 1/2 the tables blocked off for seating, it lots of social distancing. It was perfect weather of 72 degrees and only a slight breeze so the patio area was packed, since there were fewer tables than normal.

Their bar area was fairly full, but the dining room had lots of room. They were doing a steady mad rush of take out orders. I got some Cajun Seafood Pasta, and my wife had Quesadillas, and that comes with chips and salsa for the two of us. We both only finished 1/2 the meal and had to go boxes so a meal tonight.

So two very different great meals for us, and leftovers to boot.

I have never tried to add up the number of restaurants we eat at, but I would bet the number is over 30 places that we go to regularly and each place has a specialty that we are not going to try at home. One place has fantastic prime rib, cooked to perfection. We had our first date 30 years ago at one Cajun place and we go there every anniversary, valentine's day, and other special occasions.

About the only meal I almost never order out is a steak like a porterhouse or t-bone. That is way to easy to cook at home on the grill, and I can make it perfect.

I can think of two great Italian places, Three Cajun places, One Latin - American place, one top notch best in the world BBQ place, One Greek place that is like going to a Greek grandmother's home, just warm and friendly. Seven or Eight Mexican (Tex-Mex) places, and on and on. The list is endless. All within a 20 mile radius of us, all with free and spacious parking.

The downtown area has "Bricktown" which has the canal and boat rides, all sorts of fancy bars and restaurants, a movie theater, and the minor league baseball park. We only go down there on rare occasions with out of town guests because like any popular area, parking is a pain, and cost money, or involves a 3/4 mile walk to the free areas.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 10-03-2020, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Misunderstood User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
The sad thing about this year is that it will permanently alter the dining landscape in this country. I don't think it will ever recover to what it was like last year.

Never mind the reluctance of people to go out in public, most restaurants are small businesses and simply won't survive the months of no business. I feel really sorry for the owners of businesses in places like New York, who've got no real prospects for returning to normal this year.

Thanks to those that have tried to pitch in and keep them alive with increased take-out business and greater tips.
Very true - I live in Chicago and I view the web site Eater Chicago. They periodicaly list restaurants that have permantelly closed (I'm sure Eater in other cities does the same). The list is extensive and the range of new and old, especially the older established restaurants is surprising.

It's not only restaurants, I think the entire entertaining, hospitallity industry is in for a big shift.

1983 944n/a
2003 Mercedes CLK 500 - totaled. Sanwiched on the Kennedy Expressway
Old 10-03-2020, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Still Doin Time

Eating out is a real treat for us so we may do it 3- 4 times in a year. Since we're both very busy, we prefer to stop by Wegmans, get something fresh or part- prepared, bring it home and put it together ourselves while cooking, consuming adult beverages listening to some good blues.
'77 Sportster Pro-Street Drag Bike w/93ci - Sold to collector
'72 Yamaha CS5 200 Twin - Sold to fellow Pelicanite

Last edited by asphaltgambler; 10-03-2020 at 08:22 AM..
Old 10-03-2020, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Used User

I stopped going out to eat for shear pleasure years ago when the service became so lame that it was close to intolerable, certainly not worth the obligatory tip. A breakfast/lunch cafe was about the only thing I continued with and infrequently at that.

Once the shut down came I haven't bought one thing from a restaurant, pick up or delivered. I don't miss it one bit. I may never sit in a restaurant again. The service was that bad and I doubt it will ever be any better.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

I stopped and ate at a popular breakfast place, which normally has a line halfway down the block on a weekend morning. I was the only diner inside. It was completely empty. There were a couple of take-out pickups while I sat there but nothing else. A half dozen counter employees frenzied back and forth trying to look very busy.

$10 for an eggs benedict, $4 for orange juice, tips at the counter and table turned it into a $20 snack.
Except for the sauce I could have probably made it better at home.

The mask wearing, just to take it off again while eating, the safety tape, the closed tables, the messy jug of cleanser, the brusque waitress who seemed like she was going out of her way, plus the expense, were all a reminder of why I personally don't eat out much anymore. Covid destroyed all their other business.
Old 10-03-2020, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Registered

I have been getting great service. Each and every time.
Old 10-03-2020, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Registered

The restaurants around here have all been down in business.

Every place that I have been...the service is as good or better than before covid.
The effort to please the customer is exceptional.
Old 10-03-2020, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Eating out is not "important," but it is nice. If you can get good food and good service, it's nice to not have to worry about the cooking and cleanup.

We've probably only eaten out 2 or 3 times in the past 6-8 months. We have ordered food to go from some of our favorite restaurants. We are trying to support the restaurants that we like without going into the poorhouse doing it. Having food that we didn't have to make is usually mostly about convenience.

On a vaguely, tenuously related note. There is (was) a stand-alone Luby's on the corner down from where we live. I've always thought it was an odd location, but there were always people there. When Covid hit, they closed. A couple of weeks ago I noticed a sign in front of their main sign saying that there was going to be an auction. Now both signs are gone. I guess months and months of being completely closed was enough to put them out of business.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 10-03-2020, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by john70t View Post
I stopped and ate at a popular breakfast place, which normally has a line halfway down the block on a weekend morning. I was the only diner inside. It was completely empty. There were a couple of take-out pickups while I sat there but nothing else. A half dozen counter employees frenzied back and forth trying to look very busy.

$10 for an eggs benedict, $4 for orange juice, tips at the counter and table turned it into a $20 snack.
Except for the sauce I could have probably made it better at home.

The mask wearing, just to take it off again while eating, the safety tape, the closed tables, the messy jug of cleanser, the brusque waitress who seemed like she was going out of her way, plus the expense, were all a reminder of why I personally don't eat out much anymore. Covid destroyed all their other business.
Interesting. Most of the places that we've been for takeout or the couple of times that we've eaten in haven't been crowded, but they've had plenty of take-out orders and also eat-in orders.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 10-03-2020, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
Still here

Garage
Living in prison is no life.

Depressing to see.
Old 10-04-2020, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Living in prison is no life.

Depressing to see.
Yup. Also amusing that somewhere on the order of 90% of you are culinary chefs. We’ve been eating out a lot and have only enjoyed equal or better experiences to the pre-CV experience. My heart goes out to all of the small businesses that have been destroyed by this BS.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Banned

Used to do it a lot. Now my idiot governor has sucked the joy out of yet another activity that he has nominally allowed us peasants to partake of. 75% of my local restaurants have gone out of business. Getting a table inside is just about impossible and eating outside with children isn't worth the effort. Now we have to cover our faces (and those of our children) every time wait staff chooses to approach us.

We tried going once since the ridiculous mask rules. Between a waitress that liked to mumble and a manager that swooped in constantly to remind us to put on masks (while we were trying to eat our *** ****** food), thus forcing us to have to put our masks on our kids, the meal sucked. Never mind. It's not worth the hassle anymore. Our governor is going to get his wish and kill most of the businesses in the state.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
We cook M, T, W. Thursday is “empty the fridge night”, M, T, W’s leftovers.

Friday and Saturday are eat out.

Sunday is an audible, sometimes we cook, tonight we didn’t.

When we cook we don’t do typical stuff. It’s involved so eating out is welcome come end of week.

We are also trying to do what we can to keep local businesses supported so they are still there on the other end of this.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
King Broinyo

My brother and his gal are visiting from Los Angeles.

We got a dozen eggs, some asada, sausage, cheese, chili peppers and tortillas.

Bomb ass huge breakfast burritos. Why go out to a restaurant?
Old 10-04-2020, 11:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
another round please

We're in Gatlinburg now and I've never seen it so packed as now, and we've been coming down here for 30 years. People everywhere, wait times at restaurants spanning 2 hours at times because of less seating. Good thing we have our regular places and are staying up in the mountains. Masks are about 75% worn on the streets and in stores too. But it looks like no pandemic down here.

Old 10-05-2020, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: