Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
There it is, a 100HP or so of pure adrenaline...

I had a 1990 SR that I commuted to to DC with then drove back and forth to Bridgeport, CT every week when I was the Lead Government pilot at the Sikorsky factory: A 5 speed manual, 4x4 (had to get out and lock the hubs), cloth seats, single cab monster, grey with the swoosh and the first year the "Toyota" script was no longer featured on the front grill.

Gave it to my Dad in 2000 with more miles on it than a satellite, got it back when he moved to a place he didn't need the truck, gave it to a friends of mines son, in 2005 when he was a junior in HS. The kid went to the Naval Academy, and drove it for another 10 years.

He sold it in San Diego with over 400K on the untouched 22RE.

Many adventures on the NJTP.

I sold my 1999 Tacoma a few years ago to a Gent here. Hope it worked out as well as the 1990!
I had that 22R (E) engine in three of my vehicles. They just don't break, even with abuse. I had one in my 1980 Celica. 22R, carb. It was always running low on a qt of oil and it was dirty. It was my first car right after high school. It was all I can afford and started to learn about cars because I was forced to fix it myself and being broke, when money was available, it went on to the car. I bought it with 130,000 on it and put another 200k on the thing. I think being stick shift saved me some repair money. After that was an 85 4wd truck, single cab, no tach, but a big old speedo with a couple of idiot lights. Engine temp and gas gauge was all I got. This thing hopped around like a real truck would in our poorly executed expansion joint socal fwys. Had over 200lk on that, just like the Celica, no other trouble but brake pads and oil changes. I rolled it out in Barstow climbing a rutted hill being the dumb ass that I was. Youth, what a waste?

Bought another 85 4WD, an SR5. Now, I am stylin' with a fully loaded truck with a tach nd all sort of standard gauges (really only two more). Its the same as McFly's in Back To the Future, only beige without the roll bar. I put a lot of miles on that 22RE fuel injected motor and took me all over the western US, Canada and many ski trips up in Mammoth and Tahoe. No mechanical problems, none but brake pads, oil changes, and fuel. They finally got me. It was stolen from a parking lot after a late night dinner coming back from work eating at a Danny's. Like Vash would say, Poof, gone. I have great luck with their vehicles. Really bullet proof reliability especially the Land Cruiser, like yours. I love those things

Old 10-04-2020, 11:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
King Broinyo

I drove my 22RE equipped SR5 for a month with a blown head gasket. I was 23 and didnt have anywhere to change it. Just filled it up with a gallon of water every morning and I was fine. eventually fixed it and got over 300K before I sold it at a profit to some Mexican laborers.

Really wish I kept it. 5 speed with the extra cab. I ABUSED that truck and it always kept running.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostril Cheese View Post
That which is understood need not be discussed...

Great, virtually indestructible engine. I’ve seen some put through some serious hell and come out just fine.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbob View Post
I heard the Toyota frames rusted because dihydrogen oxide got trapped inside the frame rails. Apparently, Toyota changed the rails from a rectangular tube to a ‘C’ channel and beefed up the thickness of the metal.
If you search you will see a lot of contributors, bad e-coat, laminated metal, poor drainage, etc.

I suspect they were all contributors, which is why the manufacturer did not cover the entire cost.

Looking at the pics from another thread here, I would guess lamination is at least part of the problem.
Old 10-05-2020, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911boost View Post
You are wrong, the Tacoma sold in the US market is also made at two plants in Mexico. I have been to both of them.
The Tacoma is assembled at Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas (TMMTX), in San Antonio and Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Baja California (TMMBC), in Baja California, Mexico.

https://pressroom.toyota.com/2020-toyota-tacoma-positioned-to-continue-segment-leadership-with-host-of-new-upgrades/
Old 10-05-2020, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
Why do you get rid of F15o at 200k ?

What has been your experience with F150's 5.4 Triton 3v triton engine ?
First, our oldest have the 4.6L V-8's. Good engine, questionable transmission.

The ones we buy today are 3.5 non-turbo V-6's. They are driven by job superintendents - mostly freeway miles, very light duty use. I guess the best answer as to why we get rid of them is they're starting to look pretty crappy but are still worth a couple of bucks.

As for the 5.4 V8's, most of our F250's came equipped with those. A great motor (with a few known issues that are easily fixed today). They'll go 500,000 miles of heavy duty usage if they're maintained properly. Unfortunately, when Ford got rid of the V10 they upped this engine to 6.2L. For those who needed extra towing power etc I guess it was a good idea. But for those of us who were doing just fine with the 5.4L, we're paying a pretty heft mpg penalty.

My $.02.

1972 911T/S MFI Survivor
Old 10-05-2020, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Correct Bob, as well as the new plant in Mexico.

While the Toyota Motor Manufacturing plant in Guanajuato is a relatively recent addition to the manufacturing landscape in Mexico, hopes are high for the levels of productivity it may reach. With Toyota aiming to create 100,000 trucks every year at its location in Apaseo el Grande — a municipality that borders Querétaro
Old 10-05-2020, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daepp View Post
As for the 5.4 V8's, most of our F250's came equipped with those. A great motor (with a few known issues that are easily fixed today). They'll go 500,000 miles of heavy duty usage if they're maintained properly. Unfortunately, when Ford got rid of the V10 they upped this engine to 6.2L. For those who needed extra towing power etc I guess it was a good idea. But for those of us who were doing just fine with the 5.4L, we're paying a pretty heft mpg penalty.

My $.02.
You're aware of the cam phaser issues with the 3-valve 5.4L engine ?
Spark plug exploding.
It is considered one of the worst engines ever made.
You've not experienced this?
Old 10-05-2020, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Sorry but most of the initial post was relevant to the Tacoma circa about 2002. Since then their advantage in quality has been eroded as the competition improved and they rested on their laurels. Today’s Taco is full of hard plastic, has a thrashy V6 that lacks in power compared to the competition, crap ride quality, and is way overpriced. It is visibly cheaper than a comparable truck from about 15 years ago. This is coming from someone who is a huge fan of Toyota trucks, I think in the 1990s and early 2000s they were building the best quality vehicles on earth. Not so much anymore.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Registered

^^^ Yes.

Also, I think the title is wrong. It's maybe the least depreciating mass production vehicle.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
You're aware of the cam phaser issues with the 3-valve 5.4L engine ?
Spark plug exploding.
It is considered one of the worst engines ever made.
You've not experienced this?
I thought I covered that with "...a few known issues". We have had dozens of spark plug launches over the years. In the beginning it was a $6-700 repair; if they happen any more we just do it in house with a set of helicoils at virtually no cost. Once we got smart, we learned to make sure and either change or at least loosen and re-torgue the plugs at around 50K miles.
(FWIW,as far as I know there was never recall for the exploding spark plugs. It sure should have been, but if you look at how little "meat" there is in the aluminum head for threads, I don't know how they'd fix it.)

As for cam phase/time issues, I can't recall a single one.

What follows are a couple of picks of a thread insert done wrong on a 5.4. I've included it just to show there's only about 3/8" of material for threads. The plugs have over an inch of threads. Go figure...

1972 911T/S MFI Survivor
Old 10-06-2020, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Unregistered

I got rid of my 2010 F150 at around 125k, couldn't wait to make it go away.
Plus i didn't feel like changing the spark plugs

Quote:
The 22RE as it was originally released had a max power rating of 105 horsepower at 4800 RPM and a peak torque of 137 lb-ft at 2800 RPM. In 1985 the max horsepower increased to 114 at the same engine speed while the peak torque was 140 lb-ft at 3600 RPM.
Bullet-proof.

I have a toyota.
My wife has a toyota.
My son has a toyota.
My daughter has a lexus. She hadta be different.
And I don't recall any of the above mentioned vehicles needing any repairs beyond an occasional normal wear and tear item and scheduled preventative maintenance.
And none of them leak or burn oil.
About the only time I need to open the hood on my highlander is to add windshield washer fluid
Old 10-06-2020, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Did you get the memo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg2 View Post
I got rid of my 2010 F150 at around 125k, couldn't wait to make it go away.
Plus i didn't feel like changing the spark plugs

Bullet-proof.

I have a toyota.
My wife has a toyota.
My son has a toyota.
My daughter has a lexus. She hadta be different.
And I don't recall any of the above mentioned vehicles needing any repairs beyond an occasional normal wear and tear item and scheduled preventative maintenance.
And none of them leak or burn oil.
About the only time I need to open the hood on my highlander is to add windshield washer fluid
That’s all well and good but I can say basically the same thing about every late model car we have owned in the last 10+ years. Basically since the time that we had the budget to actually buy my wife a decent used cars. Several Nissans, several Mazdas, one Toyota, a couple of Fords, I don’t think any have stranded us or had serious issues. The fact is that nearly every late model car is generally reliable, that’s not really an advantage for Toyota anymore.

Up through 2019 I travelled a LOT and used my rental car experiences as a test drive. I had Camry, Corolla, 4Runner, and Tacoma, all mediocre at best. I’d grab a Fusion over a Camry or an F150 over a Tacoma all day long.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
So, why has the Ford F150 been the best selling truck in the U.S. for the last 43 years? I've had my F150 XLT for about 6 years and it just keeps on motoring down the road! I guess a 4 banger truck is ok if all it ever carries or pulls is a driver and maybe one passenger. Just be sure to get out of the way when a real truck comes along!
Old 10-07-2020, 03:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990C4S View Post
^^^ Yes.

Also, I think the title is wrong. It's maybe the least depreciating mass production vehicle.
Correct. Since cars like many Ferrari's go up in value. Try to buy a Ford GT at MSRP even if i t is used. The McLaren F1 is way over double initial cost.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 10-07-2020, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy View Post
That’s all well and good but I can say basically the same thing about every late model car we have owned in the last 10+ years. Basically since the time that we had the budget to actually buy my wife a decent used cars. Several Nissans, several Mazdas, one Toyota, a couple of Fords, I don’t think any have stranded us or had serious issues. The fact is that nearly every late model car is generally reliable, that’s not really an advantage for Toyota anymore.

Up through 2019 I travelled a LOT and used my rental car experiences as a test drive. I had Camry, Corolla, 4Runner, and Tacoma, all mediocre at best. I’d grab a Fusion over a Camry or an F150 over a Tacoma all day long.
In the past 15 years or so, my wife's honda pilot went into the shop for a failed power steering pump and other problems. My daughters nissan had the CVR transmission replaced twice.
My furd F140 went into the dealer three times to fix crap that shouldn't have broken.
So you've had much better luck with unreliable brands that I have.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
Correct. Since cars like many Ferrari's go up in value. Try to buy a Ford GT at MSRP even if i t is used. The McLaren F1 is way over double initial cost.
Ferrari resale values drop like a rock until they gets about 25 years old and recover.
You can usually buy a 5 year old ferrari for half what it cost new, unless it's some weird limited production enzo or something.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
My daughters nissan had the CVR transmission replaced twice.
Customer texts me this morning and is buying an SUV for daughter.

Offered her one recommendation. No CVT trans.

The CVR has a CVT.

Last edited by Bob Kontak; 10-07-2020 at 02:28 PM..
Old 10-07-2020, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Quote:
In the past 15 years or so, my wife's honda pilot went into the shop for a failed power steering pump and other problems. My daughters nissan had the CVR transmission replaced twice.
My furd F140 went into the dealer three times to fix crap that shouldn't have broken.
So you've had much better luck with unreliable brands that I have.
You do realize that only a failed power steering pump over 15 years is pretty damn good, right? That’s like complaining that your tires wore out.
Old 10-07-2020, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Registered

Jeep Wranglers hold their value also, 30% depreciation over 5 years.

Old 10-07-2020, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: