Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Interesting discussion.

I daily drive a 2011 5th Gen 4Runner. I bought it new, and absolutely love it to this day. I am a major Toyota fan, especially the 4Runner.

The truth is, though, on my 4Runner, the transmission was replaced under warranty due to a "shudder" between first and second gear. I brought the TSB in and transmission replaced at ~50K miles. Same for the driveshaft. There is a TSB for a clunk in the slipjoint that occurs when unloading the drivetrain like at a stoplight after stopping. Driveshaft also replaced no questions asked.

Then, front wheel bearings started growling LOUDLY at 90K. I replaced them both. Car has 110K on it now and I just drove it to Colorado and back without a worry. Love it.

But, honestly, should a "bulletproof" vehicle like that need a transmission, driveshaft and wheel bearings within 100K? Absolutely not.

My wife has an MDX. Another one of the "most reliable" cars on the planet. Transmission went out and was replaced under warranty at ~60K.

I love Toyota and Honda (Acura) products, but I'm with Matt....they aren't what they used to be.

JA

Old 10-07-2020, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

I had a 1991 Land Cruiser a few years ago, bought at 195k with records since new. The only major repair was a starter. I replaced a water pump. Everything else was regular maintenance. THAT was a world standard vehicle and I dearly miss it.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Registered

I've done things to Toyota trucks that you wouldn't believe, and they still got me home...500 miles away. Then kept driving and off-roading, for years...then years more after I sold them. Things that would have a car guy cry, things like resurfacing an etched/gouged cam with a DREMEL. Things like making 2 inches of intake tube out of an entire roll of duct tape after shattering the factory intake in a hard roll. Things like taking a blown differential, opening it up, sticking random pieces of metal in it then flooding the spiders and random metal with weld, then putting it back in the housing, all while in the desert. Things like getting a truck rolled back over after 10 or 15 minutes, pulling the plugs, then fountaining oil out of the plug holes while trying to get the engine purged.

If I was dying, guts hanging out and vultures eating me, and someone came up with a pre-95 Toyota truck, and said "I will get you home and you will live a long life" I would reach out to them and KNOW that it would happen.

After 95...I'm not so sure, and I kinda side-eye anyone who has a Taco truck.

At least in the 80s and 90s, Toyota cars and Honda cars were both considered bulletproof. The difference was Toys would start complaining at 100k miles...squeeks, groans, shudders, etc. But, they would complain for the next 200k miles.
Hondas, well, they were dead silent, perfect little cars, until about 175k miles, when suddenly every system would start dying, one after the other.

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 10-07-2020, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrews View Post
But, honestly, should a "bulletproof" vehicle like that need a transmission, driveshaft and wheel bearings within 100K? Absolutely not.
My wife bought a 1 year old Subaru, 36K miles. It's now 3 years old, 50K miles, and has had both rear wheel bearing replaced...one twice, because they did it wrong. AND the brake backing plate, because they ruined it while trying to figure out how they got the wheel bearing wrong.

Subaru. Considered the king of bulletproof, even they screw up. Turns out the Crosstrek is just a lifted Impreza, with extra body, and extra weight. They never speced a stronger suspension, so the factory wheel bearings are past spec by having a jacked up, overweight car on them, and they only last 30 or 40 K miles.

Of course, I replaced all of the struts in the Mazda within 35k miles, because they undersized them...KYB replacements are still brand new at 110K miles. That, and a new engine at 100K because they have terrible oiling paths that starve the #1 cylinder on hard turns...or donuts in a parkinglot...the 2.5L Ford Duratec engine that I dropped in feels 20% stronger, went from 110K miles to 25K miles, and has proper oil galleys.

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 10-07-2020, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Registered

My choice would be this anyday.....
Old 10-08-2020, 03:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej37 View Post
I thought we were talking about trucks?
Old 10-08-2020, 03:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post

Subaru. Considered the king of bulletproof, even they screw up.
Daughter has one. Piece. of. Junk.

Not even close to bulletproof. It's actually able to reload and shoot itself very quickly.
Old 10-08-2020, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Yeah, I am with OWP on the Ridgeline yuck.

Speaking of Toyota I like the Land Crusiers, does anyone have a new one?
Old 10-08-2020, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
I see you

If'n I was a working man and needed a tough azz truck I'd get the F-150, but as a retired DIYer it's Tacoma. IMHO they are different beasts with slightly different application.

“There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our overthrow. Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence.”
Old 10-08-2020, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Regenerated User

Garage
looks plus depr is wrangler like our resident Canadien suggested.

Old 10-08-2020, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej37 View Post
Well one thing for sure, you will not have to worry about the frame rusting out since it has no frame. It is just a cut up funny looking SUV. Nothing wrong with that at all if all you need is a very light duty vehicle to haul a few bags of dirt or a motorcycle.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 10-08-2020, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990C4S View Post
Daughter has one. Piece. of. Junk. (Subaru)

Not even close to bulletproof. It's actually able to reload and shoot itself very quickly.
As onewhippedpuppy stated this thread is really about older Tacomas. Newer Tacomas are far from head and shoulders above its competition per consumer reports. One year (2018) was rated a "Worst Buy".

Maybe the same thing applies to the Subaru?
Old 10-08-2020, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Did you get the memo?

I will always need a truck because I do too much DIY home stuff. But if I decide to keep my boat in dry rack storage I’ll no longer need an F250. At which point I’d probably replace it with a first generation Tundra. In my opinion that’s a fantastic combination of quality, capability, size, and affordability.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black968 View Post
Jeep Wranglers hold their value also, 30% depreciation over 5 years.
new Bronco might change that
Old 10-08-2020, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Reelin' In The Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy View Post
I will always need a truck because I do too much DIY home stuff. But if I decide to keep my boat in dry rack storage I’ll no longer need an F250. At which point I’d probably replace it with a first generation Tundra. In my opinion that’s a fantastic combination of quality, capability, size, and affordability.
One of my neighbors has one...white with a tan interior like my Land Cruiser. We both are happy campers. Great truck that didn't sell well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWebb View Post
new Bronco might change that
I don't think there is any doubt as long as the quality is there. The whole doors off thing is just so freaking appealing, especially this time of year.

I parked next to a Jeep Gladiator with all four doors off today - San Diego weather here.

If they do a Bronco truck like they say, once I sell the farm I am in.

BTW, I am a Toyota fanboy...two FJ's, a LC, a Tundra and a 4Runner currently and a host of past Toyotas, to the moon and back many times.

I did have a Bronco II

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." – Winston Churchill
Old 10-08-2020, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

All this reliability talk and I'm surprised no one has mentioned the 6.2 ford.... 300-400k mi engines

IRR... What IRR!
Old 10-08-2020, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I am going to take the 911 out for a drive to get away from my computer for a bit (and because it is 80 degrees outside) and swing by the local Toyota dealer. The same family owns Toyota and Volvo and I had a very good experience buying a few Volvo's from them and my ex has a Highlander from there. They have a new LC I want to put eyes on.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Registered

I could go for this.

Old 10-08-2020, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

I will be very interested in checking out a new Bronco when they release. I love the fact that you can get a base model with a stick and the full off road package.
Old 10-08-2020, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daepp View Post
As for the 5.4 V8's, most of our F250's came equipped with those. A great motor
Quote:
Originally Posted by daepp View Post
We have had dozens of spark plug launches over the years.
I'm having a hard time understanding how someone can say that the 5.4 Triton is a great motor, then mentions "We have had dozens of spark plug launches over the years".

Old 10-08-2020, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: