Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
The least depreciating vehicle sold in the US.

I have heard a lot of theories for why the Tacoma is the least depreciating vehicle sold in the US.

The main theory for this is combined with Pickup trucks not depreciating much PLUS the legendary bulletproof reliability of Toyota trucks.

Toyota trucks are known world wide for being the most reliable, most bullet proof Trucks made. Period.

Even the F150 and Silverado owners know this but dont want to admit that Japanese is more reliable, BUT it is.

Toyota trucks reliability has been legendary since hte early 80s.

Their cars do not live up the reliability of their trucks, not at all.

It the combo of bulletproof reliability, pickup truck, and NO frills truck.
Its not a super nice Luxo truck like some others have become, its more plain, simple, functional.

Also the Tacoma is not a full size truck, so it fits a different niche. Full size truck is a work truck, towing truck, etc.

Tacoma can tow, sure, up to 7200, but full size trucks can tow more….

So yeah I think the reason is thats its a solid, bulletproof, somewhat boring, pick up truck.

The off road ability of the Tacoma is legendary, like Jeep Wranglers. But thats not many people.

The Tacoma is also the only pickup truck sold in USA that is made in the USA as well.

All Toyota trucks are made in San Antonio, Texas. Chevy/GMC are made in Canada, Ram is Mexico, Ford is half Ohio / Half Windsor Ontario.

Old 10-04-2020, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Lots of snow Porsche away

Garage
I think they depreciate in one big step when the frame brakes in half.
79 XS750 because one is just not enough
Old 10-04-2020, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
I see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordner View Post
I think they depreciate in one big step when the frame brakes in half.
Indeed plus mine was made in Mexico. However I do feel good about my decision to own Tacos ever since 1980.

“There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our overthrow. Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence.”
Old 10-04-2020, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

I believe the bad frames were made in USA by Dana, they had poor ecoat/rust protection, along with some other issues.

Last edited by 1990C4S; 10-04-2020 at 09:12 AM..
Old 10-04-2020, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
King Broinyo

That which is understood need not be discussed...

Old 10-04-2020, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

You know Tacoma’s are built in Mexico, right? Since 2004. I see truckloads of them on the 5 going north
Old 10-04-2020, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
I have heard a lot of theories for why the Tacoma is the least depreciating vehicle sold in the US.

The main theory for this is combined with Pickup trucks not depreciating much PLUS the legendary bulletproof reliability of Toyota trucks.

Toyota trucks are known world wide for being the most reliable, most bullet proof Trucks made. Period.

Even the F150 and Silverado owners know this but dont want to admit that Japanese is more reliable, BUT it is.

Toyota trucks reliability has been legendary since hte early 80s.
I know an army medic who did tours in Bosnia, Iraq and Afghanistan. He says the Toyota Hi Lux is ubiquitous in those places (usually equipped with a machine gun etc.) and that they are favored due to the fact that they are indestructible.

As a child I remember seeing the Hi Lux in California as well. This guy claims Toyota made a conscious decision not to sell the Hi Lux in the States because it lasted far too long.

And I believe much of that quality lives on in the Tacoma and much of the rest of their production.

Quote:

Even the F150 and Silverado owners know this but dont want to admit that Japanese is more reliable, BUT it is. Toyota trucks reliability has been legendary since hte early 80s.
Their cars do not live up the reliability of their trucks, not at all.

Also the Tacoma is not a full size truck, so it fits a different niche. Full size truck is a work truck, towing truck, etc.
To your next point, notwithstanding how much I do believe Toyota makes quality products, I’m not sure you have completely “nailed it“ on the work truck issue.

I run a fleet of approximately 40 pick up trucks-mostly F250s but also a handful of F150s. I have several F2 50s with more than a half-million miles on the clock and they’re still running their original engine and trans. We get rid of the F150s at around 200,000 miles. They are trouble free, inexpensive to keep on the road and quite surprisingly, they don’t suffer the mpg penalty versus the Tacoma - that you might think.

My $.02 anyways.

Ps I’ve had two Lexus GS’s, and I drive both in excess of 200K miles. And would you believe with both cars I had zero repairs. Of course I had oil changes, break, tires etc - but not one thing ever broke on either cars. These were front engine, rear wheel drive cars, and both are sold unchanged (except for the badges) as Toyotas in Japan.

1972 911T/S MFI Survivor
Old 10-04-2020, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Reelin' In The Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostril Cheese View Post

There it is, a 100HP or so of pure adrenaline...

I had a 1990 SR that I commuted to to DC with then drove back and forth to Bridgeport, CT every week when I was the Lead Government pilot at the Sikorsky factory: A 5 speed manual, 4x4 (had to get out and lock the hubs), cloth seats, single cab monster, grey with the swoosh and the first year the "Toyota" script was no longer featured on the front grill.

Gave it to my Dad in 2000 with more miles on it than a satellite, got it back when he moved to a place he didn't need the truck, gave it to a friends of mines son, in 2005 when he was a junior in HS. The kid went to the Naval Academy, and drove it for another 10 years.

He sold it in San Diego with over 400K on the untouched 22RE.

Many adventures on the NJTP.

I sold my 1999 Tacoma a few years ago to a Gent here. Hope it worked out as well as the 1990!

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." – Winston Churchill

Last edited by Seahawk; 10-04-2020 at 01:23 PM..
Old 10-04-2020, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostril Cheese View Post

No discussion needed my two

1994 Toyota 4Runner Gen 2
Old 10-04-2020, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daepp View Post
I run a fleet of approximately 40 pick up trucks-mostly F250s but also a handful of F150s.
We get rid of the F150s at around 200,000 miles.
Why do you get rid of F15o at 200k ?

What has been your experience with F150's 5.4 Triton 3v triton engine ?
Old 10-04-2020, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
All Toyota trucks are made in San Antonio, Texas. Chevy/GMC are made in Canada, Ram is Mexico, Ford is half Ohio / Half Windsor Ontario.
I worked in the Dearborn Truck Plant last week. Pretty sure they were making F-150's...
Old 10-04-2020, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Quote:
Have you heard the one about how a new Taco costs damn near as much as a new a Tundra? If you really, really want a Taco it makes more sense to by used. Even if the used price is inflated it’s still less than a new one. OTOH if you’re buying new spend a few thou more and get a full sized truck.

I was at my Toyota dealer last spring looking at a $36,000 Taco. That’s what I paid for my ‘17 Tundra.
Old 10-04-2020, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Yep, many of those worthless Tacoma frames were made in my hometown of Stockton, CA. Yet another gold star for my hometown.

Toyota stepped up and bought back Tacoma's with crap frames at much inflated values compared to what they went for used.

Most manufacturers have to be sued to even acknowledge there is a problem and do the cheapest possible fix, if they even do one at all.
Old 10-04-2020, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
PLUS the legendary bulletproof reliability of Toyota trucks.

It the combo of bulletproof reliability, pickup truck,

So yeah I think the reason is thats its a solid, bulletproof, somewhat boring, pick up truck.
are they bulletproof?
Old 10-04-2020, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Information Overloader

I heard the Toyota frames rusted because dihydrogen oxide got trapped inside the frame rails. Apparently, Toyota changed the rails from a rectangular tube to a ‘C’ channel and beefed up the thickness of the metal.

That’s what I heard, anyway.

For awhile FJ Cruisers held their resale value higher than any other vehicle sold in the US. Don’t know if it’s true but I’m sticking with it.
Old 10-04-2020, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
are they bulletproof?
if optioned up with the right equipment I think they can be....

1994 Toyota 4Runner Gen 2
Old 10-04-2020, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

My fleet vehicles are always Tacoma 4cly manual transmission trucks. I broke my rule and purchased a used 4cly Auto with 70k on the odd, it now has 155k on it and the auto transmission crapped the bed. I just tossed all my equipment into my 07 FJ with 190k miles on it while I sort out this Taco.

I just put my other crew, that only does residential work in a 2016 Pruis V. They are getting 45 mpg and loving working out of it. Its as big as a pickup in the back with the seats folded down.
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black Betty
2014 BMW i3 Giga World
Old 10-04-2020, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbob View Post
For awhile FJ Cruisers held their resale value higher than any other vehicle sold in the US. Don’t know if it’s true but I’m sticking with it.
True, per KBB, Consumer Reports, and our experience. We bought a 14 FJ 12/13. We paid 31K. In 12/18, we traded the FJ with 32 K miles on an 18 4Runner, at the same dealer. They gave us 32K for it as a trade-in.

1969 911T Coupe
1972 911E Targa
Old 10-04-2020, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Yeah that's stupid. The used market is nuts on those. Not the game I'll play.

After the yotas would be the diesel trucks...

IRR... What IRR!
Old 10-04-2020, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
You are wrong, the Tacoma sold in the US market is also made at two plants in Mexico. I have been to both of them.

Old 10-04-2020, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: