Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
i was this close to going to Texas Tech university. while visiting, i saw a guy i went to high school with. he was working (at a footlocker? cant remember). i said hi, and the girl he was standing with said, "you know him?" he looked at me and said, "no".

the girl i was with, said i would have to get used to that..hhaha..we went out to lunch right after that and the host gave everyone at the table a menu, except me. my friend Julie gave the hostess a rash of ****.
I ran into a little bit of that when visiting a professor (well, assistant prof) pal at A&M and when talking with two U of Texas alumni at work. I didn't exist. Just a culture thing and they were one-offs. Not an everyday occurrence.

Old 10-05-2020, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
i should have gone to UT Austin. for sure. the girls there are hungry.
did an weekend business degree on campus, spent about 30 weekends there.

It was "stressfull", I was 35 and single at the time. That is just old enough to feel like a creep gawking at college girls, but not old enough to not do it.

Austin is a great city
Old 10-05-2020, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Of the little time I’ve spent in TX, I liked Austin (used to visit Dell there a lot) and didn’t like Houston (but I was always in pretty industrial parts of that city). The main thing that would make it hard foot me to live there is the heat.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
The heat is easy. The humidity is not.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
except for driving, people are extraordinarily nice in TX in general.
The driving in Houston is some of the worst I've ever seen in the US, and I've been all over.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 10-05-2020, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered

Garage

This is 10 miles from my house. Wide open spaces. I can hop in the 930 drive like a hooligan on great fm roads and see maybe 5 cars in an hour. We can go the back way too Austin from here 400 miles and maybe see 100 cars.

Vash has some insight. I lived in Midland as a kid. 100% oil town. Was 100 years ago, 50 years ago, still is. My parents live there still. Hot hot hot, insane wind, maybe 10” of rain a year. Lot of oil money. My wife and daughter went to Tech. Wife tells the story of one spring day walking out of class the wind caught her sunglasses and she never saw them land.

My brother lives in the Woodlands, lot of $$$, hot and humid. My son lives in Austin, hot, not quite as humid but damn the traffic. Great beaches from Corpus south. As soon as my wife’s dad is gone we are gone. He’s 97, she’s an only child so it can’t be long. Great weather here but the incessant wind otherwise 4 actual seasons sometimes in one month.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-beard View Post
Most aggressive drivers anywhere in the US. India was worse...far worse...
Not to derail the Texas bashing, but you are speaking the truth. Driving in India is almost a wonder of the world, and not in a good way. I've only been once, but driving in the cities (rural way slightly better) is terrifying. Sort of organized chaos is the best way to describe it, and they have two speeds: WOT and brake pedal to the floor.

The India national anthem is a honking horn.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I plan to retire in Alpine, Tx. It's west so no humidity, it's at 5000ft some nice temp throughout the year, has 15k people with a 85% bachelors degree rate and it has clear, dark skies for my telescope
2015 981 Cayman S
Old Subaru
Old 10-05-2020, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
My other ride is a C-130J

Garage
Only lived in San Antonio, Texas while TDY (Temporary Duty Assignment.) Enjoyed every minute of it. Friendly people, great steaks, plenty of things to do.

Just remember, the Alamo is an official NO Cover (hat) Zone.
Previously Owned Art from Stuttgart
2000 Boxster -1983 911 SC Cab -1984 944 N/A
Old 10-05-2020, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hahl View Post
I plan to retire in Alpine, Tx. It's west so no humidity, it's at 5000ft some nice temp throughout the year, has 15k people with a 85% bachelors degree rate and it has clear, dark skies for my telescope
Watch out for the Marfa lights.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner or later View Post
Watch out for the Marfa lights.
LOL, yep.
2015 981 Cayman S
Old Subaru
Old 10-05-2020, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hahl View Post
nice!! beautiful over there!!

funny, i hunted outisde Alpine Tx with my brother. we had to cross a checkpoint and the Border Partrol had it out for us (not sure why). they said their dog cued in on some drug smell, and we would need to go and wait in a locked room while they did a more extensive search. my brother warned them he was armed and it was in his pocket..we exited and they put us in a room. it took all of 20 seconds for them to realized they got a police lieutenant in their waiting room. they hurried us out and said the dog must have made a mistake. i watched that dog, it did nothing but sniff around..it didnt sit down or anything.

people are odd. it was nice got get back home. the waiting room was comfortable. hahha..whatever.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWebb View Post
the place is dirty and rude

both my parents were smart enough to leave...
It's a horrible place. Hot as hell, full of deplorable people. Truly nothing redeeming here. Just a bunch of Covid-ridden idiots. Stay away.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
nice!! beautiful over there!!

funny, i hunted outisde Alpine Tx with my brother. we had to cross a checkpoint and the Border Partrol had it out for us (not sure why). they said their dog cued in on some drug smell, and we would need to go and wait in a locked room while they did a more extensive search. my brother warned them he was armed and it was in his pocket..we exited and they put us in a room. it took all of 20 seconds for them to realized they got a police lieutenant in their waiting room. they hurried us out and said the dog must have made a mistake. i watched that dog, it did nothing but sniff around..it didnt sit down or anything.

people are odd. it was nice got get back home. the waiting room was comfortable. hahha..whatever.
LOL, the Ex and I crossed the check point multiple times without incident. You guys must've just looked suspicious...joking.
We even looked at buying a place just past the check point so would have gone through it every day.
2015 981 Cayman S
Old Subaru
Old 10-05-2020, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainz01 View Post
It's a horrible place. Hot as hell, full of deplorable people. Truly nothing redeeming here. Just a bunch of Covid-ridden idiots. Stay away.
I shook the Gallery Furniture guy's hand and did not get Covid.

He really did save me money. I did put five long in his pocket, though.

Last edited by Bob Kontak; 10-05-2020 at 01:48 PM..
Old 10-05-2020, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
the dude needs to use his thumbs to pull the extra shirt fabric around to the back

but i do like that bed is standing by..nice.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
the dude needs to use his thumbs to pull the extra shirt fabric around to the back
Kinda looks like a rug he's wearing. Skinny and a wig may not be a good combo.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Banned

Garage
Quote:

maybe it is a special San Anphonio look?
Old 10-05-2020, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Mattress Mack (Jim Mcingvale) of gallery furniture. He had some sort of cancer or illness in the past couple of years and lost a lot of weight. We were in the store for some reason (not buying furniture!) and saw him. He is a hoot!

Basically, lost everything. He setup a circus tent and sold mattresses in the hot Houston sun. Eventually turned it into a serious furniture business.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Registered

Matress Mack is really an interesting character and quite the philanthropist

First culture shocks when I moved to TX in 2001: Kolaches (where have you been my whole life), and mattress mack everywhere.

Old 10-05-2020, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: