Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

I have been all across this great country which is the United States, and if I had to choose between Texas and California, I would choose Texas every time.

69 Chevrolet C-20 Longhorn (family heirloom)
Old 10-05-2020, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Mattress Mack came and spoke at work many years ago. A really interesting life story and dynamic personality. When it came to paying him, he said no need, just please help a charity when I ask. A few years later he asked after hurricane Katrina. We had new corporate owners at the time (now Blackstone) and they said no. Really rubbed me the wrong way with the new owners and made me very glad when they sold us after only one year of ownership.

Even though I've lived in Texas my whole life, I can understand why some don't like it. Some days I'm not too fond of it but most of the time I'm happy here. I encounter really friendly, helpful people and I'm used to the heat.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Banned

Garage
is Texas still #1 in wind power?
Old 10-05-2020, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWebb View Post
is Texas still #1 in wind power?
Especially when the legislature is in session.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Banned

Garage
too easy!
Old 10-05-2020, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
i was this close to going to Texas Tech university. while visiting, i saw a guy i went to high school with. he was working (at a footlocker? cant remember). i said hi, and the girl he was standing with said, "you know him?" he looked at me and said, "no".

the girl i was with, said i would have to get used to that..hhaha..we went out to lunch right after that and the host gave everyone at the table a menu, except me. my friend Julie gave the hostess a rash of ****.

no thanks. i didnt go to texas tech.

to be clear, i was in Lubbock last year and it was delightful. no issues. people were cool.
That's weird.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 10-05-2020, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Registered

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
simple answer:

BBQ
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 10-05-2020, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWebb View Post
Texas is a Western state
No, Texas is a Southern state.
No, Texas is a Great Plains state.
No, Texas is a Mountain state.

Huh...funny how 1000 miles can make a simple statement so wrong.

Anyways, who needs ski bunnies, all covered up in puffy jackets and hats. We have tube bunnies.

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 10-05-2020, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
I like Texas. Huge variety of people and cultural influences. I’d probably live there if western Ohio wasn’t so perfect.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
If the weather was like it's been this past week for the other 51 weeks a year, I probably wouldn't be able to afford to live here.

But it's been packed at Memorial park. Maskless Covid spreaders everywhere. Disgusting. Stay away.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
I'm a northerner, (Minnesota), so about as far from Texas as you can get, both physically and culturally. I've never really been there, other than driving across the Texas panhandle but it's cool in its own way. Really vast, that's for sure. What I've always liked about Texas is that people have an identity that's tied to the state like none of the other 49 states. That's kind of interesting.

When I was a kid, (and well into adulthood), I had what I now consider a strange prejudice against the place. Some of you will probably laugh at me for this but as a small child, I worshiped JFK. The first book I ever read in first grade was PT109. We were Irish Catholics and he made us proud. I personally blamed Texas for killing JFK and vowed to never set foot in the state. Especially Dallas, I had a burning hatred for it.

Completely irrational, I know, like most prejudices. I got over it or came to my senses at some point and though I still haven't been there, I'd love to visit Dallas some time before I leave this earth and make peace w my former resentment. Getting over resentments is one of the most healing things in life, I've found.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
I’ll meet you in Dallas speeder.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

My other ride is a C-130J

Garage
^^^Speeder, I enjoyed reading your post. Synopsized an interesting and tragic period of our Nation’s history.
Previously Owned Art from Stuttgart
2000 Boxster -1983 911 SC Cab -1984 944 N/A
Old 10-05-2020, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Registered

We came here for a job. Before then, I had never thought of Texas, never gave the state a second thought, and hated the two times I drove across it on I-10. The second time, I did the entire Orange-El Paso drive non-stop in one day just so I wouldn't have to spend a night in that god forsaken state.

We moved here nearly sight unseen 15 years ago, and we both like it. Houston was a big part of that, I don't think I would have liked Dallas, and we couldn't afford Austin, but we would have loved it. Coming from Tucson (which is still our location of choice), Austin would have been like living in the humid neighborhood of a town we already knew.

Houston proved itself to us because it's downright filthy with culture, history, ethnic mixing...every country is represented, every religion, every culture, every food, every region, it's here, and since we're on the SW side, it's usually within 3 miles of our house.

We've bought a house, started 2 businesses and I'm now working for a non-profit to teach disadvantaged kids in the barrio some trade skills so they can go start their own businesses.

Other than that, it's dirty and rude.

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 10-05-2020, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Well Speeder as a kid living in Texas as a 4th grader in art class our teacher came in after being called over the loud speaker to come to the office. He then told us in a shaky voice Kennedy had been shot in Dallas. We were released too go home if we wanted or could go too the gym till school was out. I think it was 1:30 or so. My older brother and I rode our bikes home and our mom was crying. My parents were long time R. My mom kept saying America will blame Texas for his murder. My older brother and I felt bad because we had loved going to Dallas. And yes Texas got the wrap although Oswald was a fake Texan.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
I see you

Did boot camp in Texas at Lackland. I didn't feel heat like that again until I went to the DR.

“There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our overthrow. Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence.”
Old 10-05-2020, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
I’ll meet you in Dallas speeder.
Let's make that happen. I need to go to the place, Dealey Plaza, and see the museum they set up. I went to the one in Memphis where MLK was shot, it was amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNajarian View Post
^^^Speeder, I enjoyed reading your post. Synopsized an interesting and tragic period of our Nation’s history.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Paul View Post
Well Speeder as a kid living in Texas as a 4th grader in art class our teacher came in after being called over the loud speaker to come to the office. He then told us in a shaky voice Kennedy had been shot in Dallas. We were released too go home if we wanted or could go too the gym till school was out. I think it was 1:30 or so. My older brother and I rode our bikes home and our mom was crying. My parents were long time R. My mom kept saying America will blame Texas for his murder. My older brother and I felt bad because we had loved going to Dallas. And yes Texas got the wrap although Oswald was a fake Texan.
Thank you for sharing this personal story. I was only 4 years old and I don't have any memory of the day JFK was shot, the adults must have shielded me and got me away from TV sets or something(?) My sister who is one year older remembers it because she was in kindergarten...I still think it's strange that I was not made aware or saw people crying, etc. You could have filled a swimming pool w the tears that were cried in America that week. My dad told me that it was the same when FDR died.

My hatred for Texas had no logic...I thought that Texas killed him. That we sent him there for a visit and they sent him back in a box. When I actually looked at the photos from that day, he got the warmest welcome imaginable from Dallas. It's just a tragic, horrible thing and I now feel sorry for Dallas getting blamed for it. Not fair.

Sorry if I took this thread in a strange direction.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
King Broinyo

My new model kit arrived to pass the time during quarantine!

Old 10-05-2020, 11:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
King Broinyo

Id like to visit JSC and Austin someday
Old 10-05-2020, 11:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Bush, FERC, Enron , never trust or vote for a texan

Old 10-06-2020, 01:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: