Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Dodged a Bullet Today

Man... ummm... not sure where to start... Ed and I took off this morning to do some grouse hunting in one of my favorite spots in our Cascade range. Nothing unusual... Except, this time, we didn't tell anyone where we were going, much less even that we were going. Normally we tell my wife, but she is out of town visiting her mother. So we just packed up and went... prolly shoulda texted her, at least...

We actually had a great day hunting, bagging a couple of nice big ruffs. We were at least fifteen miles in from the nearest paved road, all by our lonesome. Which is where it gets kinda dicey...

We made it all the way back out to I-5, which was quite fortunate, before things went south. The "check engine" light came on on the mighty Land Cruiser, and I had just started to ponder what that might mean - I mean like a few seconds into pondering - when there was an explosion that lifted the hood to its safety latch and steam came billowing out from literally everywhere. Now all of the idiot lights were on, and I coasted over to the shoulder, well and truly beached.

Long story short, the post mortem revealed that the fan belt had broken and the plastic top tank on the radiator had exploded. I cannot believe how fast it must have went from not circulating water to bursting that top tank. I would have thought the cap would have vented pressure... maybe the tank failed because, well, it's 27 years old and plastic...

Anyway, that's neither here nor there - the salient point here is that I violated several of "the rules". If that thing had let go up in the mountains, I would still be up there. Granted, I always have my "mountain survival" gear on board - tent, sleeping bag, lots of water, a couple dozen energy bars, fire starter, etc. And we did have a couple grouse (thanks Ed!). But, boy, it would have been a loooong night up there.

Sometimes we get lax and think "just this once...".

"God invented whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world"
Old 10-08-2020, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Glad you made it back safe!
Old 10-08-2020, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Glad you lucked out. Sometimes luck in in your favor. I've had a few of those instances, not necessarily involving vehicles. One was when I decided to climb Langille Peak near my ranger station during the summer of '73. Started out a little late & it was getting late starting back down. Decided to take a short cut that turned out to approach verticle. I went back up to take a different route & got back later than I wanted. I told myself I should have known better & wouldn't do that again.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Sleep well. It could have been frosty.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

Wow, never had one of our Cruisers explode like that. Glad everything worked out. Part you want is a 1917 (CUC#), if you buy it from 1800 Radiator, it will be a 1917DE. Denso is OEM, Koyo is the best alternative, a 1917KO. CSF is 3rd.

I haven't shopped them in sometime, but you might save a few bucks and get the best part for the money.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I just replaced my radiator a couple of months ago. It's a big job on my '97. Had to take off quite a bit of the front of the vehicle. I went with a factory radiator. A bit more expensive that aftermarket, but it fit perfectly and I trust it more than aftermarket units...

I also replaced all the hoses and the thermostat at the same time...

22/29 torsions, 22/22 adjustable sways, Carrera brakes
Old 10-09-2020, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Reelin' In The Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROC View Post
I just replaced my radiator a couple of months ago. It's a big job on my '97. Had to take off quite a bit of the front of the vehicle. I went with a factory radiator. A bit more expensive that aftermarket, but it fit perfectly and I trust it more than aftermarket units...

I also replaced all the hoses and the thermostat at the same time...
That is next for me as well. Pesky Heater Hose!

Glad it worked out, Jeff. When I was commuting into DC everyday I carried a "survival kit" with extra water, energy bars, coats, etc. with me, especially in the winter.

When it snows in DC, you are required to drive into the car next to you.

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." – Winston Churchill

Last edited by Seahawk; 10-09-2020 at 05:46 AM..
Old 10-09-2020, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

How did you get back to civilization ?...Tow truck, good samaritan, hitching, or hoof it ?

Good thing everything worked out for you.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Counterclockwise?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
How did you get back to civilization ?...Tow truck, good samaritan, hitching, or hoof it ?

Good thing everything worked out for you.
Yes. Please finish the story. We need to know.
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 10-09-2020, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Higgins View Post
... Except, this time, we didn't tell anyone where we were going, much less even that we were going.
I did this quite often when I was single.
Spur of the moment, grab the backpack, sleeping bag and tent, and head to the Cascades.
Usually already driving towards the mountains, still deciding where to go.

Hard to tell someone your plan, when there isn't one.
So far, I've always made it back home in one piece, but once married, no more disappearing act.

My wife has turned into quite the outdoorsy girl these last few years.
Just last week, her and her hiking buddy went on a 3-day, 40 mile hike near the Canadian border.
Had fun, fatigued, home safe.

The very next day, the Jeep won't start!
Freaked her out. "What if it happened up there?"
Two girls by themselves in the wilderness, no cell reception.
Her partner now has a Garmin tracker so I can follow their progress on my phone, and they can get an emergency message out.

Battery died. New last year, still under warranty, dropped to 10 volts, so one cell has shorted out.
Brought it back to Costco, and they exchanged it, no questions asked. Didn't even test it to see if I was telling the truth.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Was expecting a MOPAR vs Ford story based on the title.

Glad you are OK.
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - under refinement.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 10-09-2020, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I was expecting an errant shot nearby. Whew!
2015 981 Cayman S
Old Subaru
Old 10-09-2020, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

Took a 35mile bike trip to Tiburon over the GG Bridge. About 2 blocks from home on flat ground the chain broke.

Drove a very overloaded Ford van across country. Hills and plains. Doing some maintenance at home I noticed that the transmission cooler hose was finger tight.

Took Highway 50 with some friends to go skiing at Tahoe. Somehow we got off the freeway to take a shortcut though the mountains on a 2-lane. The weather turned into whiteout blizzard conditions with deep snow and icy road. We were running out of gas with no food or water. At the end of the road it was blocked off and we made the return trip through the same. We coasted into the station on fumes.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I nursed my Gen 2 Toyota 4Runner almost 1750 miles across Europe and back after my rear UJ went a few mile into France

It's a Toyota so of course we got back home safely but it was a bit nerve racking, accelerating up to cruising speed and down again as gently as possible
1994 Toyota 4Runner Gen 2
Old 10-09-2020, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Didn't you have a cell-phone with you? Or out of range?
In MI here....never found a place here with no cell-coverage.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Boy, Mike, no kidding - kind of a big job. It's out and new parts are on their way from Rock Auto. I went with the Denso radiator and all Gates hoses and belts. I'm just going to replace all of it "while I'm in there".

That's all kind of secondary to the main point I was trying to make. So, I just want to clear things up a bit for the rest of you. First, I did in fact make it back to "civilization" before she blew - I mentioned it let go on "I-5", or Interstate 5. Thank God we made it that far, or I'm pretty sure we would now be in our second day of walking out. Second, there is no cell coverage up where we were and, yes, I did have my cell with me. There are still entire swaths of wilderness here in Washington with no cell coverage, especially up in the mountains.

The real "moral of the story" is to always, always tell someone where you are going and when to expect you to get back. With my wife out of town, no one would have even started looking for us until Sunday night when she gets back. Even then, they would have no idea where to start. We were just about an even hundred miles from home where we were hunting. Not many people even go up there on a weekday, which is a large part of why we went up there. We would have been totally on our own.

The more I think about this, the worse it gets... really, really stupid and irresponsible on my part.
"God invented whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world"
Old 10-09-2020, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej37 View Post
Didn't you have a cell-phone with you? Or out of range?
In MI here....never found a place here with no cell-coverage.
Lots of places in mountainous areas with poor to no cell service.
In the flat mid-west, easy to have complete coverage with fewer, taller cell towers.
My own house is on the ragged edge of coverage, but only if you have Verizon.
Any other carrier? No coverage at all here.
Old 10-09-2020, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Glad you made it back Jeff, you're experience is a good reminder for everyone how quickly things can go bad in the mountains/wilderness

Long story short,

In my youth working a summer in Wengen, Switzerland I went for a walk in the mountains with a friend. Did the same as you, didn't tell anyone where we were going. We got into a life or death situation due to our own stupidity.

It all ended well, after a short wait, a brief search followed by a winch/short helicopter ride and large bill to pay we lived to tell the tale

Got into a ton of trouble for that but it could have been a lot worse as the last rescue the heli crew did was to pick up a body 100 mtrs below where we were picked up from

I had cooling issues in my Toyota on mountain passes, replaced everything, pump, thermostat, rad, hoses and even the hose clips. Was money well spent
1994 Toyota 4Runner Gen 2
Old 10-09-2020, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
I had a similar situation with a friend this spring while hunting Morels in a burn up near Manastash. My buddy's Tacoma got stuck in a snow patch we foolishly tried to cross.
Luckily my phone had cell service and were able to call a tow. It took the truck ~ 5 hrs to get to us... learned a good lesson with that one.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Back in 1991 or 1992 there was a winter storm the media called the Storm of the Century. Giant blizzard and ice storms back east.

My brother lives in Montgomery, AL and his two boys had never seen any real snow. So spur of the moment, they loaded up in his 1974 VW Westafalia camper and went to Mt Cheaha in far North Alabama. They just loaded up fast, and did not mention it to the neighbors or any family. They just vanished.

They got to the camping site and were all set up waiting for some snow. The storm came through and first was at first ice. Then heavy snow, several feet of snow. The doors and windows were frozen shut, and took a lot of effort to get one open. The boys got to play in lots of deep snow and were exhausted soon. The power at the camp site was out, but they did have water and bathroom facilities. My sister in law at one point stepped out into the snow, and fell over backwards, and was stuck. She had to get rescued by the boys and my brother.

The first night was the coldest but the gas powered heater kept them warm enough. They had enough food and water was at the camping site. The storm did delay them one day more than the plan.

The National Guard came through to rescue any campers and he said we don't need your rescue, we will leave tomorrow. He could not leave the day before because large trees blocked the road. The national Guard cleared the trees and plowed the road. He put on snow chains on the VW Camper and drove down the mountain. Lots of other vehicles had slid off the road and had many issues. At one point he had 4 other passengers from a local TV crew that was stranded. They all got down the mountain and back home fine.

The phone machine was full of concerned friend and family messages all wondering where they were. They both missed one day at work. Everyone was mad at them for not telling anyone at all where they were going.

1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 10-12-2020, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: