Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

where to sign up to rent your classic for movies

My beautiful 1973.5T Sepia Brown 911T stays in the garage most of the time and I figure, why not make it available for rental for movie or commercial use, especially here in Atlanta, Georgia where many movie studios are located. I came across someone many years ago who rented out his two 1960's vintage station wagons that ended up parked in front of a diner in a popular movie. He recommended the idea. According to him, the studio treated the car with the utmost care and it paid well!

Anyone know of such a company in the southeast to contact?

Thanks
Bob

Old 10-10-2020, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

pics?
Old 10-10-2020, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

friend was a transporter captain on a number of films. one of my bikes is parked in the background of a few.

he always said, never rent a car or house you love to a production.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

The trouble is, who moves the car?

A friend of mine, who is sort of a car guy, took my 911 for a drive. He got in started the car then went "clutch... brake... gas" and hit about 9,000 RPM. Certainly of put a dampener on my kind gesture of letting him drive my car.

And much the same person will be working on the film sets (didn't mean to, it was an accident...) Or he could take his GF out for lunch in your car to impress her.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Mannequin Faking It

DriveShare by Hagerty offers rentals specifically for photography and filming that involve you dropping off/picking up the car so no one else drives it. They provide all insurance, etc, and you set the daily pricing.

Todd
'85 Carrera Targa/'87 951/'99 996 Carrera Coupe/'17 Macan (Sold)
"Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained" Thomas E.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
We did it many moons ago.

Don’t know if it’s changed but it gets real old real fast.

If you care about the car you’ll drop off and pick up.

If lucky you even get to drive it in scenes.

All amounts to long boring days for not a lot of coin.

Wasn’t worth it.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

We Were Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTodd View Post
DriveShare by Hagerty offers rentals specifically for photography and filming that involve you dropping off/picking up the car so no one else drives it. They provide all insurance, etc, and you set the daily pricing.
Friend of mines 47 Chevy truck is in, "Flags of Our Fathers". He did something very similar to what Kevin posted.

He sat off camera far enough away to stay out of trouble.

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." – Winston Churchill
Old 10-10-2020, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

No gigs without pics.
Old 10-10-2020, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmint View Post
friend was a transporter captain on a number of films. one of my bikes is parked in the background of a few.

he always said, never rent a car or house you love to a production.
Sounds like good advice to me...

(edit) kind of hoping Hugh weighs in here. My guess is he could relate some horror tales.

Last edited by pwd72s; 10-10-2020 at 03:02 PM..
Old 10-10-2020, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
I was contacted by the "picture car guy" at McGee St productions about leasing my truck, WD for 3 months for the production of "A Painted House." I went ahead and did it. The lease contract was for just short of 3 times what I paid for the truck.

This is what WD looked like when I leased it to them. The engine, electrical system, and brakes had all been rebuilt, but the body was in rough shape.

This is what they did to tart it up for the movie. They did what they had to do to give it the look they needed. They wanted a cracked windshield and went out and bought a bunch of windshields and busted them until they got one they liked. If they used it at all they must have glued it on top of the existing windshield. When they returned the truck there were about 6 spare windshields, plus a box of random parts that I can only guess was the result of someone going to the local NAPA and saying, "Give me everything you have that fits a 1947 Dodge WD-15." The only permanent damage was a caved-in hub cap and a dent in the roof caused by them tossing a spare tire on the cab roof and caving it in. That one really pissed me off.
Geoffrey Lewis drove it and said it was a blast.

This is WD after they returned it to me.

This is WD after I did an extensive restoration. NO WAY IN HELL would I lease my truck to anyone at this point.

Last edited by wdfifteen; 10-10-2020 at 05:08 PM..
Old 10-10-2020, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

^^^love that truck!
Old 10-10-2020, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Wow that is a beautiful truck

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2020, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
We were doing a 50's period film, shooting at a recently shut down drive-in theater. The production company advertised for individuals with 1940-50's cars and reached out to a few car clubs.

The film was supposed to take place in a small town in Texas (similar to Last Picture Show) and on the day of filming the guys brought in their cars. Of course they were washed, waxed and spit shined.

The director brought up the fact that this was rural Texas and the cars would have been covered in dust and grime. We would usually have the stand by painter and special effects come out and spray some water based aging and throw some Fuller's Earth on them to give them "the look".

Well, no sooner had the director mentioned the dustiness, I watched in horror (along with the owner) as the Production Designer bent down, scooped up a few handfuls of dirt and gravel, tossed them onto the hood of the car and started swirling her hands and grinding the dirt into the paint while at the same time telling me "Come on, let's get this done".

It's still one of the biggest emotional breakdowns I've seen on set by the time the director, UPM and others were done berating her in front of the cast and crew.

I'd just leave it alone and enjoy driving your beloved vehicle.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
King Broinyo

Get good insurance. Movie production is ROUGH on cars.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

I have had many offers for one of my Unimogs to lease it for just this type of thing. I had a good friend who was a stunt driver, who said don't ever do it. They will screw up your truck and there will be nothing you can do about it. hidden in the contract that you sign will be just the words that covers them for all the damage they will do, and he said it will happen. One was for the beer commercials with the "most interesting man" to be filmed in NY. I said I would do it if I was the only one to drive it, and $3k a day, guess they went a different way.
73'& 80' Mercedes Unimog DoKa
59' Austin Healey 100-6
Old 10-11-2020, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

i've been an on set picture car wrangler - more than a few years worth. Cybil S sat down on my hand once upon a time ..... haha
last place you want your pride and joy? a movie set.

Last edited by creaturecat; 10-11-2020 at 06:49 AM..
Old 10-11-2020, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

When the filming of the Dukes of Hazard movie came to the area a few of us that had Vintage race cars were contacted about using our vehicles. They destroyed all the cars, rebuilt them to our satisfaction, and we all made money. Would never do that again....
Old 10-11-2020, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
'79 911SC TARGA

I had a customer that had some vintage ambulances. The early 70's Cadillac's.
They advertised in Variety (The industry newspaper) they got in quit a few commercials and movies.

'98 HARLEY HERITAGE SPRINGER
'11 Ford Edge
Old 10-12-2020, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: