Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned

In praise of Michelin Pilot Sports

It's been a while since I put new tires on a car, and forgot just how great these tires are.
I ran older versions on my '02 Mini Cooper S, my old '04 R32 and now my '06 911S.

In have an Audi A3 Sportback that had been running the OEM all season something , which I was using it as my shared family car, so it was completely stock.

I put on the new Pilot Sports T4, a set of Hawk Street pads, and hellloooo fun.

It changed the dynamics, the feel and of course the handling..
No more tire spin at then start and exit ramps are fun, again.
Thanks Michelin !

Last edited by Ziggythecat; 10-20-2020 at 10:59 AM..
Old 10-20-2020, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

My Favs are Michelin and Bridgestone. They both seem to make REALLY great high perf tires. I tried some Hankook Ventus tires a long time ago that everyone raved about, and I thought they had moderate grip and horrible hydroplane characteristics. I also had some Yokohamas that got good reviews. They seemed to have stiff sidewalls and inadequate grip. You can get Bridgestones and Michelins that I don't love, but the Max/Extreme perf models generally seem to be tops.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 10-20-2020, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

I've used the OEM Pilot Sports on my M2 a few times on track. I'm impressed with their durability and overall competence. They are slower than the RS4s I generally run, but they serve the car well on track during the shoulder seasons in April and October.

I drive the economy version of a premium car, and the premium version of an economy car.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
That is what I have on my 911. I do like them. I don't have the Sport Plus, just the sport. They fell good driving in the rain, on the interstate, and just fine on track. A good overall tire. And in cold weather, they will not crack like some ultra high performance tires.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 10-20-2020, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Banned

I never heard of them cracking, and I ran them everyday, winter and summer.
But certainly not in any snow or ice...that would not end well
Old 10-20-2020, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I put them on our Honda Odyssey when we had it. Really nice riding tires.
The Michelin Defenders I put on our CR-V are really great too.
Really upped the ride quality and overall general driving experience of the car.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Must be nice to be so rich that you can afford whatever you want.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911boost View Post
I wouldn't know as I certainly don't fall into that category.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Banned

$ 800 rich...?
Old 10-20-2020, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggythecat View Post
$ 800 rich...?
For a lot of people, yes, that is a lot to spend on tires.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

On the topic of spending money on tires, they are the only things that connect your car to the road. Just as importantly, if not more so, tires are what stop your car. Spend as much as you possibly can on the best tires for your car, especially one that carries your family.

Why Braking Is All About Tires... If you want to upgrade your brakes, start with your tires.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Actually it is nice. I worked hard all my life. Now I own a business and make enough money that my wife and I each buy what what we want. It makes getting presents impossible. She asked me what I want for my birthday and I had no clue. Same for her.

We don't run with the jet set or take lavish vacations, and blow money on stupid stuff. We live in a house that we paid off years ago. No car payments. No kids, no debt at all.

I have been so broke I ate rice and potatoes for a week or two just to save enough to pay the utility bills. I survived on less than a nickle a day for food. It sucked. I got a second job and worked a lot of overtime to get ahead.

I only get a couple of years out of a set of tires for my 911, because I autocross and run on the race track and they eats up tires pretty fast. My wife never even blinks when I get a new set of tires.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 10-20-2020, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Douglas View Post
For a lot of people, yes, that is a lot to spend on tires.
911 boost sounds spendy, doesn’t it .
Old 10-20-2020, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun @ Tru6 View Post
On the topic of spending money on tires, they are the only things that connect your car to the road. Just as importantly, if not more so, tires are what stop your car. Spend as much as you possibly can on the best tires for your car, especially one that carries your family.

Why Braking Is All About Tires... If you want to upgrade your brakes, start with your tires.
The Hawk brakes were just as good a move.
If you are going to move faster, better be able to stop faster.
These are sweet, with much better pedal feel, as advertised.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
another round please

$800 on tires? Have you priced tires lately? That's a good deal. I also worked hard all my life and now am at peace spending anything I want on anything I want. Hope y'all get to that point.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Porsche forum.

Not many here were born rich from what I gather.

Other forums for that I suppose.

New tires are one of life's joys.
George, Architect
Old 10-20-2020, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I was given a budget for the tires on the CR-V and felt lucky to get the Mich's for under $800.
Shopping for my own car, the one with 19" rims, I got a $600 budget, which I was able to meet with some Goodyears. Maybe not my first choice but the car sure drives better with them than the ones that were on it.

And I agree, new tires are one of life's joys.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun @ Tru6 View Post
Spend as much as you possibly can on the best tires for your car, especially one that carries your family.
That has always been the way I approach tire purchases, Shaun.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Driver, not Mechanic

My Cayenne is due for tires in the next 3 months. I was looking into these yesterday at Tirerack. Was looking for quieter tires compared to the current Toyo Proxes, but still wanted the M+S rating.

I am about to settle on these Pilot Sport A/S N3 at $335 a pop, but they're on back order.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing View Post

I am about to settle on these Pilot Sport A/S N3 at $335 a pop, but they're on back order.
I have these on my BMW for winter driving. They are all around excellent tires, you'll be pleased with them.

Old 10-20-2020, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: