Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
buying a fishing Kayak was not a good thing.

friends. i kinda went insane. my MTN-bike is covered in spiderwebs. my motorcycle is a drying rack for laundry. i am so glad i have it on a battery tender (thanks Bob K!)

in the last 2 months, i have bought 3 new reels, and 3 new rods. i have received maybe 7-8 separate orders of baits from the tackle store online. my local tackle shop yells, "See you tomorrow", at the back of my departing head. i sheepishly wave, knowing they are probably right.

i have 2 more reels "i need" and one more rod. maybe two, because i dont like one of my new ones.

i have a saltwater Sypderco folding knife in some online shopping cart.

i have a bunch of modification lined up for the down time (dead of winter) when i can do some upgrades on my kayak. i will cut a two big holes in my kayak to add storage boxes.

i fish once, maybe TWICE a week. i have done ZERO overtime at work since buying the kayak.

yesterday, i caught my first fish in the FALL. i never caught fall bass. i never knew where they went to hide. well, i landed a 20" fish, and hooked and fought two giants..i lost. i need to improve my fish fighting kung-fu. i try to force them. not good on 8lb flourocarbon leaders.

by next spring..and into summer..my head will explode. i might even have a second kayak!! (no..wife would KILL me)

Old 10-26-2020, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
i **** you not..i am going to the tackle store today. i lost a lot of dropshot sinkers.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Hey, as long as you're having fun, go for it!
Old 10-26-2020, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Counterclockwise?

Garage
Just be happy you don't have a fishing boat!
I bought a 1997 Ranger Fisherman last fall and brought it up to spec.
Talk about a money pit! Not to mention tackle!
And I can't catch smallmouth bass if I was starving to death.
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 10-26-2020, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Kayaks are the way to go. Just a big hunk of plastic to can carry anywhere and really go most places. Fishing from shore and from a boat, the kayak just makes you feel like part of your surroundings.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
French member

Garage
I love fishing in my kayak!

Hear my rebuilt motor! Dyno
Old 10-26-2020, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

We Were Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evans, Marv View Post
Hey, as long as you're having fun, go for it!
No kidding!

When I was into white water kayaking for decades...the amount of stuff I "needed" was insane.

At one time I had at least ten paddles, each (in my mind) optimized for specific river types and water conditions. Winter gear, summer gear, fall gear - all "necessary"!

But I loved it and had a ball. Life is too short.

I hate to fish, btw. My son loves it. Thank god my father loved fishing as well: They were like Marlon Perkins and Jim Fowler in a boat.

ďHe has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Ė Winston Churchill

Last edited by Seahawk; 10-26-2020 at 11:08 AM..
Old 10-26-2020, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Pro tip: Donít get into tying flies.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
There are a lot more expensive hobbies out there!

My ex has a kayak and while she doesn't fist with it, her and the kids love to use it and the paddle boards. Both are versatile and like has been mentioned just put in the water anywhere.

I have a saltwater knife but it isn't a folder.... hmmm..... Would a fixed blade work or are you looking for a folder?
Old 10-26-2020, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911boost View Post
There are a lot more expensive hobbies out there!

My ex has a kayak and while she doesn't fist with it, her and the kids love to use it and the paddle boards. Both are versatile and like has been mentioned just put in the water anywhere.

I have a saltwater knife but it isn't a folder.... hmmm..... Would a fixed blade work or are you looking for a folder?
i have a fixed blade. it is barely hanging on in my PFD. and i have to turn the blade the wrong way to get it to fit..yanking it out, the blade is facing me. not good!!

i sypderco folder would be much safer. much much safer.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Good point, I am fairly certain the one I was thinking of is double edged.....
Old 10-26-2020, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

I have an old fixed blade Gerber called a trout knife...perfect for all fresh water fish. No longer made. No, none of you can have it, eventho I haven't fished in years since getting hooked on pool.

Have I mentioned what a sweet hit my Keith Josey custom cue has? I now use a Kamui medium brown clear layered pigskin tip. Tried one of the new carbon fiber low deflection shafts, but didn't like it's feel or sound. Sorry, but I'm sticking with hard rock maple shafts. Takes Keith 6 months to make one from carefully selected high ring count maple. Long periods of time for the shaft to cure, the wood to do it's moving, between it's trips to his lathe. That's why I'm as careful as possible with my cues...especially the Josey. If the worst happened? Well, if you call Keith for a new cue, you'll be placed on a years long waiting list.

Sigh...to each his own, I suppose. Kayak fishing or pool. Whatever floats your boat.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
The main thing is you enjoy your time fishing from your toy. Likely you can go to the most expensive sushi restaurant and eat fish that is cheaper per pound than what you catch for "free" if it is typical of most folks using a 40 grand pickup to drive to the lake and get in the expensive boat or kayak and all the fishing gear.

The only real bottom line is how much enjoyment you get from it.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 10-26-2020, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

^^^^ LOL ... caviar is dirt cheap compared to bass!

Ask me how I know ?

I had my bass boat for 27 years .... fish was never a prime objective ... but going casting sure was fun .
Old 10-26-2020, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Let me help you spend. A trout guide I hired this summer tells me his grandkid invented a rubber crawdad that is being used by the top pro bass fishermen. Supposed to be the bomb. I googled but didnít definitively find it. A killer crawdad imitation would be deadly. Youíre welcome.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWJ View Post
Let me help you spend. A trout guide I hired this summer tells me his grandkid invented a rubber crawdad that is being used by the top pro bass fishermen. Supposed to be the bomb. I googled but didnít definitively find it. A killer crawdad imitation would be deadly. Youíre welcome.
LOL... I have at least 3 rubber crawdads (somewhere in my tackle boxes) from decades ago. Since I'm not a pro .... they just take up space. Pros can use a bare hook and still catch more fish than Joe Schmoe does
Old 10-26-2020, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
The guy that started BASS (Bass Angler Sportsman Society) was a daydreamer. He related a story that in high school he was staring out the window thinking of fishing and the teacher got mad, and made him stay late from school. He told the teacher he was just thinking of fishing. She of course told him he will did a poor bum if he does not get an education, and to give up on fishing as a waste of time.

A few years later he returned to the school to make a large donation to the school, and he made sure to stop and pick up the teacher and tell her about his huge company that is all about fishing. He kinda enjoyed the fact he was a millionaire from fishing and she was still just a teacher.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 10-26-2020, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

When I was into white water kayaking for decades...the amount of stuff I "needed" was insane.

this hit me while skiing..
was caught once un pre-paired..
afterwards..
I was your ski patrol guy..
and all my gear is color matched..
Iv's ..bandages ..splints..

Rika
Old 10-26-2020, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Feelin' Solexy

Yep, I am this way with fishing too. I have 9 rods and reels, four of which are just for downrigger fishing. I own an absurdly expensive device solely for returning deep-dwelling fish down to a sufficient depth where their swim bladders compress so there is lower mortality. I personally own 5 PFDs for different occasions: one that I only use when solo or offshore, one that I use only when the weather is hot and I have someone else on the boat with me, etc. I just spent $600 and half a day upgrading my boat from mechanical to hydraulic steering. All summer long a steady stream of new gear arrives at my door as I upgrade or replace the stuff I have lost in the fight.

I know other guys who are this way with guns and reloading, with woodworking, with cars and car stuff (cough cough), with hunting, with climbing, with backcountry skiing, with board and card games... for my brother its ancient radios. Whatever man, as long as it gives you satisfaction and you're not neglecting the other important people and things in life I say go for it. The world needs enthusiasts.
1938 Buick Special model 41, 1963 Solex 2200, 1973 Vespa Primavera 125, 1974 Vespa Rally 200, 1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Westfalia, 1989 VW Doka Tristar, 1997 Boston Whaler Dauntless, 2008 Mini Cooper S, 2010 Mazda CX-9 - in the stable
1989 Porsche 944, 1973 VW Beetle - gone but not forgotten
Old 10-26-2020, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Sounds like you're having fun. Take the bike out for a ride if you're feeling guilty.

I know guys who build their own poles (and some machine their own fly reels) all winter long just to go fishing again in the spring. Whatever keeps you off the streets...

Old 10-26-2020, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: