Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle O;110.
I hung "flash tape" ........ I bought the tape at my local hardware store.....
Yes, I did similar and it works like a charm.

I got rid of geese, lots of them.

George, Architect
Old 11-10-2020, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
i looked at a house up where i am that had WP issues. im sure you read much of what i did while researching the problem, but what i believed was the problem with the place i looked at was a bug infestation. they smell termite and other invasive insects and "dig" for them. the guy had the fake owls and a number of other measures but he could not get rid of them.

i passed on the place due to the WP's and a string of other issues, specifically it was a horse centric property with a metal barn with stalls, tack room area and stables that were the main draw for the property and im not a horse guy. i met the owner and when looking over the place he was pretty forthcoming about the WP problem and it was apparent it had been an issue for a quite some time.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Used User

Now that is ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embraer View Post
Resided my house. Found at least 20 woodpecker nests/skeletons in the walls. My solution? 16 ga A606 Cor-ten steel.

Not even a pattern unless you call it 'random'.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Yes, it's intentionally random. And as it rusts, you don't see lines or fasteners. If you saw it in person, you probably wouldn't be so rude.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Registered

I had woodpeckers pecking away at my wood siding several years ago and a buddy of mine who is a Forester suggested I hang up PIE PANS along the outer wall. The light reflection, movement and noise kept them away. Simply, buy cheap aluminum pie pans (Dollar Store), attach a string and keep them help up with a tack or small nail......................IT WORKS!
Old 11-10-2020, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Banned

Garage
so, the question for the OP is whether the value of the land and big, big cleanouts and retrofits to the cabin (or a new building) justify the price?
Old 11-10-2020, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

devalued member

Garage
insect to injury

so much entertainment in 6 minutes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X4tF42Zw2U
Old 11-10-2020, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
the irony of the fact the termites got across the mote in a spinach can!

and today it'd be a glass pipe..
Old 11-10-2020, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
credulous Boomer rube

Hardie Plank the exterior
Old 11-10-2020, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Used User

Quote:
Yes, it's intentionally random. And as it rusts, you don't see lines or fasteners. If you saw it in person, you probably wouldn't be so rude.
Really, I didn't think that could be an actual residence. If it's yours, my apologies for being rude.

But it's still ugly. Like living next to an armored military vehicle the size of a house.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Are you familiar with Saarinen? He used Corten. The original architect for my house was a FLW understudy and commerical architect (was responsible for the original butterfly roof Burger Chef restaurants.). He gave his blessing for my house to be reclad in Corten to these specs/design before he died in 2016..

Stick with repairing lamps for old ladies.
Old 11-11-2020, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I dont care for contemporary style either but who cares what i think. Id be more worried about the insurance cost. I know a few people that their insurance trippled when they found out about theyre new stonework. Because firefighters cant get in the walls. Id put up a shiny wind spinner or a disco ball they dont like that
Old 11-11-2020, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Used User

Quote:
Are you familiar with Saarinen? He used Corten. The original architect for my house was a FLW understudy and commerical architect (was responsible for the original butterfly roof Burger Chef restaurants.). He gave his blessing for my house to be reclad in Corten to these specs/design before he died in 2016..

Stick with repairing lamps for old ladies.
No old ladies as customers. Only high end dealers. I don't care to work for the public anymore after 50 years as a contractor. I'm sorry you're offended. I thought this was a place where opinion was tolerated. If you're offended by my comments about a mismatched metal clad residence, you must have a thin skin.

It's only an opinion. You have yours and I have mine. There is no rationalization in that your architect also does burger stands. Or did before he passed.

You'd hate my home. It is 90% period correct for 1930. I'm not very creative hence I use history as my decorating guide. And just for the record, I could not live in a MCM house of glass or with strange rectilinear angles. But I do a lot of MCM furniture for one particular dealer. Good thing too because I had a tendency to buy things that I repaired from the Euro antiques dealer. Things like 18th Century French clocks.

No, not very 1930's, I admit. I'm not attracted to the stuff from the MCM dealer. And he's on the hottest streak of all of them. He's here with something every other day. It's all junk to me. But it pays the same.

Funny you mentioned rust. At the world famous South Coast Plaza mall there is a Macy's dept store wrapped in rusty siding. There is a intentionally rusted footbridge leading to the campus at Cal State Long Beach. I've always wondered about something like that. I just ask why? Rust and rot have always been the bane of my career, yet I've made a lot of money eradicating both.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I probably wouldn't hate your home...because Im not an easily polarized person over such things, and I like all things architecturally. Even if I didn't care for it, I'd probably just keep my mouth shut. That's the polite thing to do. As a fan of architecture, one of the things that drew me to my house is the provenance. My architect didn't just design "burger stands" but airport terminals, churches, concert halls and 22 very select houses, which have been featured in books about architecture...my house included. The house has also been featured in historic architecture tours.

You're entitled to your opinion. It's not that I have thin skin....it's just that I've literally been rebuilding this house, by myself, for over 3 years. While working a full time job. I'm up 20+ hours a day...so yes, I did feel irritated that some old guy on the internet was criticising something that I've devoted so much time to, after seeing one picture of part of the back deck.. It would be akin to you posting a picture of your wife, and then me taking the time to caption it "now that is one ugly troll" while criticizing her.

I'm done with this convo. Sorry to OP about having this thread derail.
Old 11-12-2020, 02:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Insert Tag Line HERE.....

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rattlsnak
I had a problem with WPers also but they were pecking through Stucco on my house!! I finally got rid of them by placing a rag soaked in parts cleaner into one of the holes and I saw them flying around it a few times but the smell/fumes must have got to them because they never came back.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlsnak View Post
I had a problem with WPers also but they were pecking through Stucco on my house!! I finally got rid of them by placing a rag soaked in parts cleaner into one of the holes and I saw them flying around it a few times but the smell/fumes must have got to them because they never came back.
Thatll do it Once i peed all over my roof to keep the racoons from digging at it. It worked
Old 11-12-2020, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Registered

^^^How much did you have to drink...to do the whole roof??
Old 11-12-2020, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Used User

Quote:
I probably wouldn't hate your home...because Im not an easily polarized person over such things, and I like all things architecturally. Even if I didn't care for it, I'd probably just keep my mouth shut. That's the polite thing to do. As a fan of architecture, one of the things that drew me to my house is the provenance. My architect didn't just design "burger stands" but airport terminals, churches, concert halls and 22 very select houses, which have been featured in books about architecture...my house included. The house has also been featured in historic architecture tours.

You're entitled to your opinion. It's not that I have thin skin....it's just that I've literally been rebuilding this house, by myself, for over 3 years. While working a full time job. I'm up 20+ hours a day...so yes, I did feel irritated that some old guy on the internet was criticising something that I've devoted so much time to, after seeing one picture of part of the back deck.. It would be akin to you posting a picture of your wife, and then me taking the time to caption it "now that is one ugly troll" while criticizing her.

I'm done with this convo. Sorry to OP about having this thread derail.
Yeah, well me too. Funny, we are free and able to diss ugly cars here and do often. People go to the trouble of taking pics of bad parking jobs. I've seen many comments about overweight folks and a lot of bad mouthing about Walmart. That list does go a lot deeper.

And here we are bickering about my poor manners in stating my opinion about a steel sided house. As a contractor with 50 years explicitly in home improvements, I can see some flaws with the idea. There is a house in a row of rentals near me with bright purple trim. I know of the ethnicity of the residents and in their former country this type of paint scheme is popular. It doesn't look so great here in the context of the historic homes where I'm located.

Sorry, but I don't keep my mouth shut on that.

So, I've learned something about you and you, me. So, enough of the generalizations that I have old ladies as clients (might as well have, they pay nicely) and of being an old man myself, as if that really had anything to do with anything.

That said, I have offered not one word about you personally. Think on that for a moment when you call me rude.

AFA as getting back on topic, here in SoCal we are mostly unfamiliar with woodpeckers. There are some in the local mountains and when it's quiet up there you can sometimes hear the rapid fire pecking. Someone should do a study on their brain being able to constantly take that. Might save a lot of head injuries in sports or other situations. I know when I raced laydown karts my head felt like a woodpecker was going at it. Sometimes I couldn't see clearly at all. Just aim and hit the gas.

Old 11-12-2020, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: