Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Thread Killer

I could see it reducing what you get for it by $1-2K or maybe by nothing. It depends on your buyer, how much the car appeals to him, and if he even checks the Carfax. An accident on the Carfax will bug some people a lot and some not at all.

Sugarwood nailed it in my opinion. A smart buyer will realize that he will probably take a hit on the value when he sells it, so why shouldn't he get an offsetting discount?

Keeping the photos and the receipts will be wise to help alleviate the concerns a potential buyer will have wondering if there was $500 worth of damage or $15,000 worth.

If insurance paid for the repair, or maybe if there was a police report, Carfax is likely to pick it up. But they might not. A person of integrity would disclose it either way. It sounds like maybe the whole front of the car has been painted now? Was the paint blended into the fenders or doors? If not, the color change might be noticeable. Red is a tough color to match.

It looks kind of like there was filler under the paint in your photo. Maybe the bumper was painted before?

Keep the car forever and it won't matter- it'll be a potential paper loss.

Old 11-11-2020, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

It probably was dinged in the same spot before. Nothing on Carfax but likely. Whatever happened, the front had tons of stone chips and it appeared like someone dropped brake fluid on the fender. All that is taken care of because I was planning on getting that fixed. I didnít because the local shop wanted 3.5k because of the red. As mentioned, just curious. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
It is a just a car. A fun and cool car, but it is a high numbers production car and not some rare and super valuable collector car. It will make no difference if fixed right.

You fixed typical use rock chips and day to day use wear. It was not a hard hit and had no structural damage. A car with no or very few rock chips is more valuable than one with lots of chips from use. If anything you helped the value with the fix.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!

Last edited by GH85Carrera; 11-11-2020 at 07:48 AM..
Old 11-11-2020, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered

Well not sure about pricing but itís been made quite clear itís not a special car.😀😀😀
Old 11-11-2020, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBOX2000 View Post
Well not sure about pricing but it’s been made quite clear it’s not a special car.������
Yeah, strange... Did I miss an inside joke, or are there really folks here that think the damaged car in question/pictured is a Boxster?

From the pic, it has to be a 996 C4S or TT.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Coffey View Post
Yeah, strange... Did I miss an inside joke, or are there really folks here that think the damaged car in question/pictured is a Boxster?

From the pic, it has to be a 996 C4S or TT.
Someone said it was a Boxster. I don't know what all the later cars look like from a nose picture. Others maybe the same?

I think it's as simple as that.

Is somebody going to spill the beans?

Last edited by Bob Kontak; 11-11-2020 at 04:53 PM..
Old 11-11-2020, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBOX2000 View Post
Well not sure about pricing but it’s been made quite clear it’s not a special car.������
Walter White's Aztec was not a special car.

If it is perhaps a TT as Eric says we'll all eat ***** and apologize as it's more special.

Can a MF please know what Porsche it is?

Last edited by Bob Kontak; 11-11-2020 at 05:58 PM..
Old 11-11-2020, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered

4S. No need to eat ****.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Registered

And a Boxster is a Great car. Sold a 00 986S last year. so hopefully it didnít come across that I was dissing them. Just the opposite.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
It is still "just a car" and a regular production car. Maybe if it was a GT2RS and had under a 1,000 miles and was a pristine show car it might make a difference. Any car that is used as a car, like Porsche designed it to be used will acquire "patina" of rock chips, and wear and tear from use. To paint the front of a car and eliminate that patina and surface damage of the bumper cover is just no big deal. Assuming there is no underlying structural damage at all, for forget it.

If the seat or dash was damaged and recovered with the same quality leather would that affect the value? No, I don't think it would. How about the windshield, or one of the headlights? Replacement will not affect the value either.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 11-12-2020, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
No, it makes a difference on all cars, not just 100k cars. If there are 2 cheap identical Boxsters, but one has a CarFax issue, it will be worth less than the other one. Period. Obviously, everything is based on percentages, so a 20% hit may only mean $1000, but it's still wrong to say it makes no difference. 20% is 20%.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Insert Tag Line HERE.....

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rattlsnak
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAtarga View Post
It's just a Boxster. No one would care.

Mark, you have GOT to use the darker shade of green. That bright green is nearly impossible to read. I have to take a picture of it with my phone and then zoom in to read it. lol..

Old 11-12-2020, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: