Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Take the 52" fence, Steve if you will be doing any case work. Its a real btich dragging all that our just to cross cut a piece in length with a track saw. Its not impossible, just more to take out and put them all back for a couple cuts.

Old 12-07-2020, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #201 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
It's no big deal. I remodeled my last house over a 7 year period. I gutted it down to the structure and replaced some of that, as well. You work on one room or one area at a time and cordon off the rest to contain the mess. Our first 6 months in the house, we didn't even have a proper master bedroom.

From my memory, this is a second house for you, so no need to completely move in first and then try to live there. Complete the big projects first, then move in as you have completed rooms or areas. Don't make it harder on yourselves.

If you do any new sheetrock, as you have suggested you will, you'll at least be redoing the door, window and cased opening trims. No way you want to walk all the way to the "shop" every time you make a cut.

My advice is to get the house knocked out first, then entertain your "shop" and "woodworking" fantasies on weekends, way down the road.
THe original plan was for it to be a weekend house, but we may now be planning to live in it at least for a short period (a year-ish) assuming I can work out good enough Internet access to be able to work from home. It's only 1530 sqft.

We could end up doing some changes upstairs that would mean some drywall (mostly subtraction), but anything is possible.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 12-07-2020, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #202 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
Take the 52" fence, Steve if you will be doing any case work. Its a real btich dragging all that our just to cross cut a piece in length with a track saw. Its not impossible, just more to take out and put them all back for a couple cuts.
Good call, it is only an extra $100 over the 36".
Old 12-07-2020, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #203 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Need a GOOD square?
This is nice, squares at a great price, but still guaranteed to be fully functional and accurate.
https://taytools.com/collections/tools-blemished-cosmetic-seconds
They have several different types of squares, rulers, drill gauges and sheet metal or wire gauges.
Quote:
*Blemished/Cosmetic Second items have cosmetic imperfections*
Most have scratches, discoloration, small voids in the castings or other blemishes. In addition, the name brand on each blade has been ground off. The baked on finishes on the heads may be blue, black, or grey. We guarantee that the length and graduations will be accurate and that it will be a usable and fully-functional measuring tool. Instead of recycling the steel, they are sold at a fraction of the price.

These precision squares are manufactured in the USA by Products Engineering Corporation (PEC Tools), one of the last US precision measuring tool manufacturing companies. They are manufactured in accordance with the derived tolerances from the FEDERAL SPECIFICATION NO. GGG-S-656E 29 Jan 1996 and are guaranteed to be square to within 0.004" (four thousandths of an inch) over the length of the blade. They are perfect for project/part layout, machine set-up, determining level/plumb, or as a depth, height, or marking gauge. They have a hardened and tempered no-glare satin chrome finished steel blades. Blade markings are precision photo etched and then black filled for easy readability. The square cast iron head has an integrated spirit level. The protractor may be reversible or non-reversible and also has a built-in level. Squares come in a cardboard box.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #204 (permalink)
Registered

How large an area do you have to locate all this equipment? Is it "permanent"?

'83 SC Targa - since 5/5/2001
'06 911 S Aerokit - from 5/2/2016 to 11/14/2018
Old 12-08-2020, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #205 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAtarga View Post
How large an area do you have to locate all this equipment? Is it "permanent"?
We've got a detached garage that's 460sqft (presumably 23'x20'). It should be permanent. I will want to have some space in the garage, possibly enough for one car. I don't think that'll be an issue.

Stuff that was still in the garage last Sat when we visited. We're buying the mower.

Last edited by masraum; 12-08-2020 at 01:17 PM..
Old 12-08-2020, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #206 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post
We've got a detached garage that's 460sqft (presumably 23'x20'). It should be permanent. I will want to have some space in the garage, possibly enough for one car. I don't think that'll be an issue.
Something to consider in terms of placement - in a previous basement workshop, I placed the far right side of my table saw very close to the right side wall in my shop, midway along the wall. Since most of your work will be to the left side of the fence -you don't need room beyond the right side table surface. This gives you more room to the left of the saw to move around and/or place other equipment. By placing it midway on the wall's length, you should have plenty of room to rip 8' to 10' length lumber INTO the saw - as well as have room for this same lumber on the out-feed side past the blade. Of coarse, this placement also helps with 4x8' sheet goods as well.

Old 12-08-2020, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #207 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAtarga View Post
Something to consider in terms of placement - in a previous basement workshop, I placed the far right side of my table saw very close to the right side wall in my shop, midway along the wall. Since most of your work will be to the left side of the fence -you don't need room beyond the right side table surface. This gives you more room to the left of the saw to move around and/or place other equipment. By placing it midway on the wall's length, you should have plenty of room to rip 8' to 10' length lumber INTO the saw - as well as have room for this same lumber on the out-feed side past the blade. Of coarse, this placement also helps with 4x8' sheet goods as well.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Any efficient used of space is a good use of space since I don't have unlimited space.
Old 12-08-2020, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #208 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

The kids gave me my old Dewalt reciprocating saw back. I think it was probably a 12A. It had been my dad's and then I inherited it when he passed away. It wasn't that old or terribly sentimental, but I thought it was cool that I was getting it back. They'd somehow managed to kill it. No idea how. They never mentioned that it was dead. They did tell me how they'd managed to saw through a 6" branch with a 12V Milwaukee which seemed weird to me (now I understand why).

Well, I went whole hog and got a Milwaukee 15A saw with orbital action. I took it out to the new home today and while I was there, I used it to clear/trim some live trees and shrubs. The biggest thing that I took down was a 6" pecan tree (holy moly that trunk was heavy, must be really dense wood). I can saw that the saw laughed at what I threw at it.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #209 (permalink)
King Broinyo

Old 12-17-2020, 11:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #210 (permalink)
Registered

This might be slightly OT. I want to DIY a TV cabinet that stands on the floor up against a wall. I don't have a table saw but I can borrow one. The Bora track system looks pretty good instead of using a table saw. What is the suggested design for the bottom of the cabinet? For example bun feet? Some info./thoughts on the design: for a 65" TV, shelf for a sound bar and slide out shelves for electronic components. I'm thinking a face frame design. Any tips or links to videos/etc. would be helpful. I have a good amount of DIY wood working experience but it is not cabinet level, more like fence building level. I have a circular saw, cutoff saw and an air compressor. Maybe I should detail the design using Sketch-Up and post here for comment?
Thanks. - Henry
Old 12-18-2020, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #211 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcoles View Post
This might be slightly OT. I want to DIY a TV cabinet that stands on the floor up against a wall. I don't have a table saw but I can borrow one. The Bora track system looks pretty good instead of using a table saw. What is the suggested design for the bottom of the cabinet? For example bun feet? Some info./thoughts on the design: for a 65" TV, shelf for a sound bar and slide out shelves for electronic components. I'm thinking a face frame design. Any tips or links to videos/etc. would be helpful. I have a good amount of DIY wood working experience but it is not cabinet level, more like fence building level. I have a circular saw, cutoff saw and an air compressor. Maybe I should detail the design using Sketch-Up and post here for comment?
Thanks. - Henry
You should post a picture of what you want to build....or something close.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #212 (permalink)

Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Thanks. - Henry
FYI, I'm completely happy with a post like this in this thread. It's mostly been about me and our new home, but I'm happy for it to be anything carpentry or woodworking related, hence the wide-open title. I'll be watching for replies.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #213 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

I've also been enjoying this guy's videos.
He seems knowledgeable and down to earth.

And then I also branch out when these guys mention other guys.

Last edited by masraum; 12-18-2020 at 04:08 PM..
Old 12-18-2020, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #214 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990C4S View Post
You should post a picture of what you want to build....or something close.
Okay - here is a picture of the idea. I would want the TV higher and have a shelf that slides out to get to the back of electrical components and a shelf right under the TV for a sound bar. You can also see Shara Woodshop Diaries. She builds a large entertainment center. Thanks for helping out. My question to wood workers is probably like posting how to check oil level on a 911.

The picture shows a design that seems too "fancy" for what I need. I'm thinking a straight forward cabinet with a light color wood grain finish.
I was thinking the middle cabinet (main cabinet) could be made in two pieces so it is not too big to get easily into the house.

Old 12-18-2020, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #215 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Okay - here is a picture of the idea. I would want the TV higher and have a shelf that slides out to get to the back of electrical components and a shelf right under the TV for a sound bar. You can also see Shara Woodshop Diaries. She builds a large entertainment center. Thanks for helping out. My question to wood workers is probably like posting how to check oil level on a 911.

The picture shows a design that seems too "fancy" for what I need. I'm thinking a straight forward cabinet with a light color wood grain finish.
I was thinking the middle cabinet (main cabinet) could be made in two pieces so it is not too big to get easily into the house.

Cool, I can't wait to see what the guys come back with.
Old 12-18-2020, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #216 (permalink)
Registered

I can go on and on about different type of blades and get about the same for just the opposite of what I say.

Buy a good blade, those Diablo at homedepot are not gooe, industry quality blades.

IMO, a General purpose combo blade is needed. We have a 60 tooth blade on our 10" saw all the time. A completely different animal on the large sliding table saw, 72 tooth blade, triple chip grind as well as alternate top bevel, known to saw people as ATB. We stick to three brands, Meyers, Leitz, and FS. We do have a few Amana and some other older industrial blades.

My recommendation is to buy two blades, a combo (normally a 50 tooth for a 10" blade, 4 atb with a raker tooth) and a ATB blade for crosscuts and plywood to produce chip free cuts. Try to buy thin kerf blade for the contractor type saw, but do put blade stabilizers on to keep blade true. Heat will warp them, so go easy, not slow because that creates too much heat. You will get the feel is the saw is bogging down. Thin kerf blades will help a lot but they are not as robust. I always like to run a thin kerf blade on my 10" saw.
Old 12-18-2020, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #217 (permalink)
Registered

Detailed wood work

Not cabinetry or construction, but an art form of it's own. Ever wondered why a custom pool cue is so high priced? Well, if it's a full splice cue with four needle sharp and even veneered points, it's a LOT of work to make just the blank.

four minute video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4lRBZM_gFw&feature=emb_title
Old 12-18-2020, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #218 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
I actually have building a new TV center such as the above on my "honey-do" list.
As you mention/ask - build the center base console separate from the upper section. Most china cabinets, armoires and other large cabinetry is built like that. I plan to make the center section a little wider so that TV upgrades in size won't be so limited.
The side cabinets will also be a little wider than the above. I plan for it to be built of cherry or mahogany.

Old 12-18-2020, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #219 (permalink)
Registered

Yep. Build the lower and upper sections separately, connect them at location. If all lower are the same height, connect them up first then put uppers on top of it. Here's a simple ugly and simple drawing showing the nosing that will hide all seams making it look like if the whole thing is one piece.

Old 12-19-2020, 01:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #220 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: