Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Nothing new that wasn't common knowledge for the last 3 years

Old 11-28-2020, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I had a pretty deep theory in a dream one night about how the internet ruined the world. It was all quite true. The only part i remember is the way people dress all the same. Now they express themselves online not so much how they look. Its better to fit in so people dont judge. but online you can be with your people.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy View Post
While I donít think I politically agree with Supe I would be thrilled to sit down over a beer and discuss issues, even if I donít agree with him. .... But thatís just my opinion....
Well that's my opinion too. Though I am picking on Matt here, I see many posts in this thread which reflect my perspective as well. You guys have heard me say, before, that I can thoroughly appreciate a chat with one of my conservative friends, over a campfire or a beer. Both, probably. But this can be made impossible or less likely with social media. That is....the respectful conversation might be difficult or impossible with someone who gets their "news" from social media. In those instances, we would be unable to even agree on the facts. If you are working from radically different factual universes, consensus in unreachable.

I am waiting for someone to chime in here after watching The Social Dilemma. Do yourself a favor and watch it. You guys apparently already know much of what you will see. I did. And yet, I was unprepared for certain aspects. The show is, basically, a documentary of the current perspectives of the young people who created the damaging juggernaut(s) we now have, in the dark bowels of those platforms, and who are now revealing the mechanisms out of a sense of remorse and alarm. Everyone should watch this show.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Tristan Harris, the creator of the documentary,
did a podcast with Joe Rogan that is worth a listen. Episode 1558
Old 11-28-2020, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Information Junky

^

Old 11-28-2020, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Your comment stood out to me Crowbob. Having worked in the digital advertising space for over 2 decades I have seen these companies arise and crush their competitors, and grow into these giants of their mediums.

They used to not be political. Then, politicians got involved with them. Basically threat of punitive regulation as there is massive amounts of money that flow through these companies. Capitol Hill wants their cut. Basically, if Google/et-al didn't play their game, they would get the stick. Think back to the late 90s with Microsoft and the antitrust suits? Once MS started getting involved with lobbying and playing the political game they're safe.

So no, Google, Facebook, etc. didn't want to be involved in politics. They wanted to build their ecosystems and make profits. Once politicians get a scent of money or power to be brokered, they're on it like a dog in heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbob View Post
Zuckerberg isn’t political?

Twitter isn’t political?

Google?

These monstrosities may have begun as financial mechanisms but they sure have jumped into politics.

"Drive it like you stole it."

Last edited by Brando; 11-28-2020 at 10:30 AM..
Old 11-28-2020, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
You guys apparently already know much of what you will see. I did. And yet, I was unprepared for certain aspects.
Interesting one of the "baller" guys got hooked himself on pissing time away on the sites and he knew the inner workings.

I watched about 45 minutes last night and the last ten were with one eye half open so I'll pick it up again tonight.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Scraping moss from my back patio it occurred to me that the thing Matt and I would like to do is both important and made impossible by social media. SM outrages people through amplification of discord and misinformation. For the purpose of getting clicks. This makes respectful discussion of public policy questions between people with differing perspectives, neigh on impossible. And yet, that conversation is EXACTLY what we need.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kontak View Post
I'll pick it up again tonight.
Wait till you get to the part where political operatives have found a very inexpensive and highly effective way to destabilize democracies.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
i watched it and it was pretty alarming. what stood out to me a bunch was all the 30-something former company executives in the piece that made their millions and now decided to turn on the platforms. if you noticed their titles they are all very rich people now and prolly don't have to work another day in their lives.
Old 11-28-2020, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Yes, and they do not allow their kids to use those social platforms. And again, there is the section on the explosion of successful attempts to destabilize Western democracies. Yes, alarming.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstreit View Post
Facebook is a place to keep in touch with friends and see what theyíre up to. Anyone that uses it for news sources is a fool.
Quote:
I do this once a year. If youíre not a car guy friend, or family, we better have had a beer together in the last two years. Otherwise I drop them. (Iím making exceptions for 2020)

Liberal use of the 30 day snooze usually is enough time to let people rant it out before I see their baloney again.
+1 (And I get FB's encouragement to "friend" your helmeted head all the time.)

I've been able to keep in touch with HS friends whom I don't see on a regular basis, and it was particularly useful when one of them had a daughter pass away recently.

It's also a nice way to keep up with the myriad of car events in the SoCal area.

On the other hand, I've started to "snooze" anyone who starts posting political garbage, on either side of the coin. It's made for a much more pleasant experience.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Feelin' Solexy

Disclosures: I have not watched this documentary, but I have worked with some of the companies mentioned in this thread. The opinion below is my own only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
For the purpose of getting clicks.
This ^^ handily summarizes an entire industry which is even bigger than what we usually label "social media." Everything from headlines on CNN and Fox to your search results or your "feed" is designed to get clicks so there can be more ad impressions or to get you to stay tuned through the commercial or... you get the idea, all of these companies make their money through ads. Even the ones that seemingly have a very diverse set of products and marketspaces etc are almost entirely ads on the back end. If you don't click or scroll the companies don't make money on you, simple as that.

Since companies exist to make money for their shareholders, it follows that companies are motivated to do what it takes to keep you clicking or scrolling. None of us should be surprised that the emotions and instincts that capture our attention or keep us engaged are not always wholesome... people are not spurred into action by things that make them feel neutral.
1938 Buick Special model 41, 1963 Solex 2200, 1973 Vespa Primavera 125, 1974 Vespa Rally 200, 1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Westfalia, 1989 VW Doka Tristar, 1997 Boston Whaler Dauntless, 2008 Mini Cooper S, 2010 Mazda CX-9 - in the stable
1989 Porsche 944, 1973 VW Beetle - gone but not forgotten
Old 11-28-2020, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tishabet View Post
Disclosures: I have not watched this documentary, but I have worked with some of the companies mentioned in this thread. The opinion below is my own only.
Nice write-up.

I knew strange things were afoot at the Circle K over ten years ago when I was presented with "Rhino" round ads after watching a Charles Whitman documentary (UT Austin clock tower sniper).

Much more sophistication since.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
A Marchand fan before you

Garage
Old 11-29-2020, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Registered

TV too. Once this generation that's spending their childhood staring at a TV grows up to be adults we are domed. DOMED. I tell ya. Newfangled BS makes me so angry.....
Old 11-30-2020, 04:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Never banned

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
FB for me is about fun with real friends and staying in contact with my extended family around the globe.

And I met my current GF through a FB organised event.

I never talk politics and I block the source of a share if one of my friends shares something political and I use the snooze for one month option often.

If you unfriend repeat offenders they rarely notice that you're gone so were they ever a friend? If someone is disrespectful of me or another person for whatever reason? ... Seeya later. I have no time for dramas and I truly believe you can't hide who you really are on FB for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsinrugs View Post
Artificial Intelligence is rapidly evolving. Itís pretty scary.
Some really smart people think that AI is already running the whole show.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah930 View Post
On the other hand, I've started to "snooze" anyone who starts posting political garbage, on either side of the coin. It's made for a much more pleasant experience.
I had to move from "snooze"ing these people to unfollowing a lot of them.

I ran a bicycle training group and most of those people ended up as friends. We shut down the group 5 years ago, but a lot of those people are still connected. Some of them were posting VILE stuff during the election.

I don't care which side of the aisle you're on, I've unfollowed everyone. I had a specific friend post something and "tag" me. I had to have him modify the post, since I do not want to be associated with anything political.

If it were not for the business connections, I would drop all of the Social Media sites and tell them to

"Get off my Lawn!"
Old 11-30-2020, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Slippery Slope Victim

Watched it. Chilling to think of how invasive all this BS is.

1985 M491
Old 11-30-2020, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Facebook is a place to keep in touch with friends and see what theyíre up to. Anyone that uses it for news sources is a fool.
This.

I scroll past 100% of all political posts, and news items. I do enjoy seeing what friends and relatives that live all over the country are doing. 90% of the friends on my Facebook list are actual friends or relatives.

I post very little, and will comment on some posts from friends and relatives.

My nephew just finished a 10 day self supported trip down the Colorado river through the Grand Canyon.

Some really cool photos and they had a great time.

1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!

Last edited by GH85Carrera; 11-30-2020 at 06:55 AM..
Old 11-30-2020, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: