Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

The Social Dilemma

I do not visit social media sites. Never really did. I come here, and TalkBass, and AudioKarma and Wikipedia. I do Google searches and I have an email account where I get notes from family and friends, and advertisements from vendors I have used. I go outside and play. So yeah...I am 'offline' with regard to social media. Where, apparently, 50% of Americans get their news. That is as far down that road as I will go here.

There is a documentary you should watch, whether you use social media or not. Particularly if you have kids. It is on Netflix, and it is called The Social Dilemma. I strongly encourage you to watch this.

That is all.

Old 11-27-2020, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Wife was an avid Facebook user and quit in the last week. Same with most of her family and many of her friends. I still have an account but never post and am planning to cancel whenever I get around to it. The blatant manipulation of social media for political gain, I don’t care for which side, is totally unacceptable and should scare the hell out of every American. Not to mention the harvesting and resale of our personal data. I think freedom of speech is perhaps our most important right, regardless of your perspective, and that cannot be infringed upon.
Old 11-27-2020, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Agreed. Watch the documentary. You say social media is manipulated for political gain and it is actually simpler than that. The purpose is financial, not political.
Old 11-27-2020, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
Agreed. Watch the documentary. You say social media is manipulated for political gain and it is actually simpler than that. The purpose is financial, not political.
Agreed, unfortunately in our society those are intrinsically linked. That goes for both sides.
Old 11-27-2020, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Artificial Intelligence is rapidly evolving. It’s pretty scary.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Driver, not Mechanic

I think I have a healthy dose of skepticism of any media, print or online, so I don't really get my news from Facebook.

And if 50% of people are dumb enough to get swayed by the media, print or online, then as they say, the people get the government they deserve.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Information Overloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
Zuckerberg isn’t political?

Twitter isn’t political?

Google?

These monstrosities may have begun as financial mechanisms but they sure have jumped into politics.

I watched that ‘documentary’. It wasn’t a documentary. It was more manipulation. Seems like it worked. After watching that movie, people think the socials are apolitical.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy View Post
Agreed, unfortunately in our society those are intrinsically linked. That goes for both sides.
How true.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I dont see any reason to quit at this point. Its all about what you follow. I deleted my old account a couple years ago and quit it for like a year. My new page i put nothing on it and have no friends. I just go on the groups that i like which are all car/ motorsport related. Theres a hell of alot more politics on this forum than i get on fb. Same with youtube. And if its news you want. Well the internet is no different than tv. If you want it you will find it.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Information Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbob View Post
Zuckerberg isn’t political?

Twitter isn’t political?

Google?

These monstrosities may have begun as financial mechanisms but they sure have jumped into politics.

I watched that ‘documentary’. It wasn’t a documentary. It was more manipulation. Seems like it worked. After watching that movie, people think the socials are apolitical.
Their actions become political, but consider that they are sociopaths out competing for the king of FU money and then it all makes sense.

IOW, they have pay to play (influence) platforms. They really don't care who is paying. China, for example, has google doing their bidding (suppression).
Old 11-27-2020, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

In my opinion social media is one of the biggest threats to the fiber of our society today. The elimination of human contact, reduction to arguments to a finite number of characters, and the narcissistic reduction of profiles to a virtual highlight reel provide nothing positive to humanity as a whole. I think it has reduced our ability to have nuanced discussions of issues, instead people choose sides and jump to snap judgements as opposed to understanding and discussing the other side of an issue. While I don’t think I politically agree with Supe I would be thrilled to sit down over a beer and discuss issues, even if I don’t agree with him. The lack of respect for both sides of an issue is in my opinion a byproduct of the ADD aspect of social media and slowly destroying civil discourse. But that’s just my opinion....
Old 11-27-2020, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Information Overloader

Intersting post, Matt.

Jumping to snap judgements, choosing sides, loss of nuance, inability to see the other side. All true.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
I'm strategizing on reducing my FB presence. For my company, we need to maintain a presence. But I want to scale back to mostly that.

The election has shown me that even some of the decent people I know can POST absolutely vile stuff. And then they go on to use the SAME ACCOUNT to try to get people to their business. NOT a good idea. I have never talked politics on Social Media.

Except here. I only talk politics on-line in one place. In PARF.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Facebook is a place to keep in touch with friends and see what they’re up to. Anyone that uses it for news sources is a fool.

2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
2010 Harley “48”
2013 Honda 250 CRF
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 11-27-2020, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Bollweevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstreit View Post
Facebook is a place to keep in touch with friends and see what they’re up to. Anyone that uses it for news sources is a fool.
Absolutely... Could not agree more.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Let the "unfriending", begin...
Old 11-27-2020, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-beard View Post
I do this once a year. If you’re not a car guy friend, or family, we better have had a beer together in the last two years. Otherwise I drop them. (I’m making exceptions for 2020)

Liberal use of the 30 day snooze usually is enough time to let people rant it out before I see their baloney again.

2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
2010 Harley “48”
2013 Honda 250 CRF
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 11-27-2020, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

A friend was/is a victim of identity theft. the bad guy was taking out large business loans in friends name. the police got him, but while on bail he was working full time trying to scam more and more money using friends identity.

I don't know how the guy found out so much as to fool banks and loan places, but I'm sure a certain percentage of it came from social media.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-beard View Post
I "unfriend" you!!!! Lol.

I gave up Farcebook many years ago and am glad I did. The only "social media" I interact with are these forums here, a classic boat forum, classic Dodge truck forum, and a couple of sailing forums. I do spend some time online playing a racing game on my phone and that's about it. Farcebook it seems has just turned into a venue for arguing and name calling from what I've heard. People be brave AF when they can hide behind a keyboard instead of having a real discussion face to face.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2020, 03:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Information Overloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstreit View Post
And they vote.

Old 11-28-2020, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: