Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
Kampot peppercorns from Cambodia.

my coworker was booked to fly home to hang with his family Jan7. i already gave him cash to buy me his Countries best peppercorns. it is supposed to blow the Telliecherry peppercorn from India out of the water.

the Kampot Black Peppercorn. dang it!! Covid has gone too far!! Cambodia shut down travel from the States. well, you can go, but you will have to endure 14 day shut-in at a Gov facility. (hotel where the owner has some gov pull. meals are $10 per meal! hahhaha)

now i am shopping the internet.

anyone try the Kampot?

Old 12-01-2020, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
what? me worry?

Never tried that variety, though a few years ago, I scored some heirloom peppercorns from Vietnam that were pretty tasty compared to Tellicherry or Malabar
Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 12-01-2020, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
King Broinyo

Can I have some of your drugs?
Old 12-01-2020, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

I've had Jiffy-Pop popcorn.

Last edited by stevej37; 12-01-2020 at 03:40 PM..
Old 12-01-2020, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
credulous Boomer rube

https://www.burlapandbarrel.com/collections/single-spices/products/ea-sar-black-pepper
Old 12-01-2020, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Feelin' Solexy

They're the only type we stock in my home... Wife and I visited Kampot about 8 years ago and visited a pepper plantation, really neat!
1938 Buick Special model 41, 1963 Solex 2200, 1973 Vespa Primavera 125, 1974 Vespa Rally 200, 1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Westfalia, 1989 VW Doka Tristar, 1997 Boston Whaler Dauntless, 2008 Mini Cooper S, 2010 Mazda CX-9 - in the stable
1989 Porsche 944, 1973 VW Beetle - gone but not forgotten
Old 12-01-2020, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Feelin' Solexy

Yours truly at the pepper plantation, and a close-up of some Kampot pepper growing.
1938 Buick Special model 41, 1963 Solex 2200, 1973 Vespa Primavera 125, 1974 Vespa Rally 200, 1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Westfalia, 1989 VW Doka Tristar, 1997 Boston Whaler Dauntless, 2008 Mini Cooper S, 2010 Mazda CX-9 - in the stable
Old 12-01-2020, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Now all you'll need is some "Cat Poop" coffee and you'll be all set!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_luwak
Old 12-01-2020, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
what? me worry?

When I was lving in Beijing, my wifey and I decided to go see the great wall for the nTh time.. a beautiful crisp spring day..

She made me drive (I don't have a drivers license) in China... yet she has no problems driving in Beijing..

On our way to Muntianyu she grabs my arms says pull over back up, she saw a place she wanted to eat lunch at.. good call..

This is a salad of peppercorns before they are dried.. just some chilis, garlic and vinegar.. outstanding..

Might as well share the rest of the lunch..

Fried rose blossom

Some sort of corn fritter... like a pastele

grilled fish pulled from the pen in the stream behind the restaurant.

The kitchen, heat source, and supervisor

Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno

Last edited by TimT; 12-01-2020 at 05:29 PM..
Old 12-01-2020, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

What's special about those peppercorns? I know nothing about cooking, only know how to eat.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
When I was lving in Beijing, my wifey and I decided to go see the great wall for the nTh time.. a beautiful crisp spring day..

She made me drive (I don't have a drivers license) in China... yet she has no problems driving in Beijing..

On our way to Muntianyu she grabs my arms says pull over back up, she saw a place she wanted to eat lunch at.. good call..

This is a salad of peppercorns before they are dried.. just some chilis, garlic and vinegar.. outstanding..

Might as well share the rest of the lunch..

Fried rose blossom

Some sort of corn fritter... like a pastele

grilled fish pulled from the pen in the stream behind the restaurant.

The kitchen, heat source, and supervisor

We were in Xian and Szechuan as part of our tour last year, The smell of pepper or what ever that smell is from the hot chilies, it can be picked up with my not too sensitive nose a couple block away when they make those things in a big batch. I can only handle it for a few meals, after that, it becomes too much. Now, on a cool day like today, I love me some of that hot pots.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Feelin' Solexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
What's special about those peppercorns? I know nothing about cooking, only know how to eat.

You should treat yourself to some, you can buy it on Amazon. I would describe it as more "floral" and sweeter than regular black pepper and with a much, much longer "burn." When you use it in a dish where pepper contributes to much of the overall flavor profile you can taste it in your mouth for many minutes after your last bite but in a good way.

Like, have you ever had fleur de sel? I would say Kampot pepper is to regular pepper what fleur de sel is to table salt. Ultimately it is something you have to try for yourself, reading about it will never do the stuff justice.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tishabet View Post
You should treat yourself to some, you can buy it on Amazon. I would describe it as more "floral" and sweeter than regular black pepper and with a much, much longer "burn." When you use it in a dish where pepper contributes to much of the overall flavor profile you can taste it in your mouth for many minutes after your last bite but in a good way.

Like, have you ever had fleur de sel? I would say Kampot pepper is to regular pepper what fleur de sel is to table salt. Ultimately it is something you have to try for yourself, reading about it will never do the stuff justice.
I am not wondering if that's the same feeling as the Xian hot pot or pepper? It does leave a lingering taste for some time.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
I am not wondering if that's the same feeling as the Xian hot pot or pepper? It does leave a lingering taste for some time.
no, it's diff.

this is just black peppercorn like you put in a grinder.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
They're the only type we stock in my home... Wife and I visited Kampot about 8 years ago and visited a pepper plantation, really neat!
Where do you get them?
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 12-02-2020, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
i know a guy that cant eat regular pepper. he carries a tiny vial of Kampot that he breaks out at restaurants. he has yet to share.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:

There's a huge variety on Amazon including multiple colors. Do you have a specific brand that you can vouch for or anything that you can recommend.

Sorry, I assume that half of the stuff on Amazon is bogus/counterfeit, so unless I can verify/confirm that it's good stuff, I have a hard time trusting it.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post
There's a huge variety on Amazon including multiple colors. Do you have a specific brand that you can vouch for or anything that you can recommend.

Sorry, I assume that half of the stuff on Amazon is bogus/counterfeit, so unless I can verify/confirm that it's good stuff, I have a hard time trusting it.
i just ordered from the Spice House. ordered one bag of Kampot and a bag of regular Tellicherry (for guest )
Old 12-02-2020, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Damn you all... and I was perfectly content with "just pepper" and a grinder that just sucks .

Been meaning to get a new one... any recommendations that are cheap ... like me
Old 12-02-2020, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
i just ordered from the Spice House. ordered one bag of Kampot and a bag of regular Tellicherry (for guest )
And they have "Grains of Paradise" which I've read/heard about and wanted to try for some time!

Old 12-02-2020, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: