Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Wacom DTK2100

I was given a Wacom DTZ2100 display pen tablet. Groovy but what’s it good for? My son is studying architecture. Would this be any use to him?

Edited: DTZ not DTK

Last edited by jyl; 12-03-2020 at 02:48 PM..
Old 12-03-2020, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyl View Post
I was given a Wacom DTK2100 display pen tablet. Groovy but what’s it good for? My son is studying architecture. Would this be any use to him?
Absolutely (stock footage, not me. I don't wear gray).

Last edited by Sarc; 12-03-2020 at 02:34 PM..
Old 12-03-2020, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

These tablets were widely used in the game studio where I worked. However, as they timed out they were tossed right into the ecycle bin. It does not seem like they have much use after they are no longer supported by the mfg.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Danned

Garage
maybe for Arch.

I have an old one we used to digitize graphs made by long-dead scientists
Old 12-03-2020, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
I was given a Wacom DTZ2100 display pen tablet. Groovy but what’s it good for? K
To draw on screens instead of using a mouse.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Okay. I've found the Windows 10 drivers on the Wacom site, and ordered the necessary pen and video adapter. I'll give it to him for Christmas. He does a lot of hand-drawing and physical model-building right now. While he needs to use Rino or other CAD software, he feels that freehanding early in the design process is more creative.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Danned

Garage
I hate to ask... but would an iPad and pen with sketch software be easier?
Old 12-03-2020, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
While he needs to use Rino or other CAD software, he feels that freehanding early in the design process is more creative.
If your son can master the art of the freehand sketch (and sketchup), he will go far in the profession and have people doing the (insert latest/greatest software here) for him...
Old 12-03-2020, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWebb View Post
On a plane, impromptu meeting? Sure. But in the studio getting the work done? No.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarc View Post
If your son can master the art of the freehand sketch (and sketchup), he will go far in the profession and have people doing the (insert latest/greatest software here) for him...
I want him to learn to do the incredible pen and watercolor renderings that architects used to do. One of my late friends was a very successful architect starting in the 60s and he left illustrations that are more inspiring/communicative than any CAD flythrough

Last edited by jyl; 12-04-2020 at 01:26 AM..
Old 12-03-2020, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
I want him to learn to do the incredible pen and watercolor renderings that architects used to do. One of my late friends was a very successful architect starting in the 60s and he left illustrations that are more inspiring/communicative than any CAD flythrough
Good for you. I cannot emphasize enough how much he will excel if he has this ability in his toolkit. Combine that with curiosity and charisma and he will do well.

This was once a standard skillset of the profession, but technology has rendered (no pun intended) it to the back seat. In my my crew of 12 designers (age 25-35) not one can draw a lick, and immediately go to pushing buttons and tweaking settings when faced with a blank sheet (or in their case, monitor).
95% of the time this results in unacceptable work that must be nurtured (more than usual) by myself via verbal communication and a napkin sketch. I'm curious what will happen when they become the mentors.

To be clear, this is not a crap on the younger generation, rather a criticism of the profession in general and its curriculum at the university level....
Old 12-04-2020, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
My daughter prefers the pen and tablet because it has more options and is pressure sensitive.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Garage

Their assignment was to design a library for a specific site in Portland. He did his drawings on paper and his model was physical. The reviews were via Zoom, because 2020. He said it was harder to show his drawings (he had to scan big sheets of vellum) and model than for his classmates whose work was all digital. But, he said, the all-digital projects tended to be boxes and rectangles. So I’m hoping that with the right tools and skills he can sort of combine the two. I’m also giving him a small wide angle camera he can use instead of the laptop webcam, and one of those miniature cameras on a long flexible probe, so he can get better videos of his physical models including interior views and even “walk throughs” using the probe. He did get positive reviews despite his stone age methods :-)
Old 12-04-2020, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:

Their assignment was to design a library for a specific site in Portland. He did his drawings on paper and his model was physical. The reviews were via Zoom, because 2020. He said it was harder to show his drawings (he had to scan big sheets of vellum) and model than for his classmates whose work was all digital. But, he said, the all-digital projects tended to be boxes and rectangles. So I’m hoping that with the right tools and skills he can sort of combine the two. I’m also giving him a small wide angle camera he can use instead of the laptop webcam, and one of those miniature cameras on a long flexible probe, so he can get better videos of his physical models including interior views and even “walk throughs” using the probe. He did get positive reviews despite his stone age methods :-)
There's hope for the profession yet. Good for him.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
Quote:
Yes and no.

The iPad Pro paired with pencil and the right apps (which are dirt cheap) is a formidable combination.

But you don't really have access to the same breadth of apps.

Pairing it with a Mac via Sidecar opens a lot more opportunity.

I actually just gave one of my old Wacoms to one of my young staff.

They are still very functional.

The biggest drawback to them in is they get hot, they are heavy and tethered so you can't really stick it in your lap or go outside and sit under a tree.

The portability of the iPad makes it a better overall solution.

Old 12-07-2020, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: