Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

first icy roads

A few days ago, our roads were very icy and slippery. I lost traction with my Fit a few times...it still has the summer tires on.
I remembered when I got home that I had the Sprint Booster set to one of the highest settings...so I turned it off to avoid the spin-outs.

The next day, forgetting that it was off, I almost pulled over thinking I had a flat tire.
Driving it now, without the Booster-normal throttle, is like driving thru mud.

The roads are clear again, so I switched it back on. My Altimax Arctics are going on soon.

Old 12-04-2020, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
That's a button on the console in my Volt.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

^^^ The 'OFF' button?
Old 12-04-2020, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej37 View Post
^^^ The 'OFF' button?
LOL! No, one of the driving modes is "sport." It remaps the throttle response.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

^^^I didn't know that feature came in cars now. Mine plugs into the gas pedal wiring harness.
18 diff levels of response. (3 or 4 would be plenty) I like it a lot.

Last edited by stevej37; 12-04-2020 at 12:09 PM..
Old 12-04-2020, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
A few days ago, our roads were very icy and slippery. I lost traction with my Fit a few times...it still has the summer tires on.
I remembered when I got home that I had the Sprint Booster set to one of the highest settings...so I turned it off to avoid the spin-outs.

The next day, forgetting that it was off, I almost pulled over thinking I had a flat tire.
Driving it now, without the Booster-normal throttle, is like driving thru mud.

The roads are clear again, so I switched it back on. My Altimax Arctics are going on soon.
Interesting, I had heard of modules that could remap the throttle. My boxster has Sport Chrono, so has that feature as well. I wouldn't have expected it on a fit, but I suspect it's even more desirable on something like that than it is on the boxster.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 12-04-2020, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post
Interesting, I had heard of modules that could remap the throttle. My boxster has Sport Chrono, so has that feature as well. I wouldn't have expected it on a fit, but I suspect it's even more desirable on something like that than it is on the boxster.
They make modules for almost any car that has 'drive by wire'...which is almost all cars in the last 10 years. It really makes the m/t Fit a much more fun driving car. (I know nothing about how it is in the auto trannys)
The controller also has a valet mode and a lock-out mode. (need to know password to start the car..even with the key.)
Old 12-04-2020, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
My 1980s cars use a long pedal on the right and I apply the appropriate amount of angle for conditions. Total driver control and no computers needed. I also have to apply the appropriate amount of pressure on the big wide pedal on the left. It makes me slow down in a ratio of how hard I press. No computers needed. All done with driver control.

Dry conditions, wet or ice all driver controlled.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 12-04-2020, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

^^^
Old 12-04-2020, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

One more...shows how easy the install is.

Old 12-04-2020, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
aka 'vageen'

Garage
This was a couple weeks ago. That’s my son learning to ride on an inch or so of snow on top of ICE.

Everyone wiped out that day even the dads. I dropped by bike before I even got it started it was so effin’ slippery.

Fun learning day for everyone.

Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche
Old 12-04-2020, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Old 12-04-2020, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
LOL thanks GH85 had a good laugh was thinking the same thing. Lots of winter driving time with no driving aids, harder to shift quick wearing winter boots though.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:

Sounds a bit like the launch button on the SC.

I've been too afraid to press it. But I'm sure if I did....
Old 12-04-2020, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
I see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebilly View Post
This was a couple weeks ago. That’s my son learning to ride on an inch or so of snow on top of ICE.

Everyone wiped out that day even the dads. I dropped by bike before I even got it started it was so effin’ slippery.

Cool. As an undergrad in the 70's all I owned was my two stroke triple road bike and a 125 dirt bike. I rode the 125 thru all manner of snow cover save for the really deep stuff. Winter semesters were rough!

“There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our overthrow. Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence.”
Old 12-05-2020, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
King Broinyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebilly View Post

Looks like hes doing well. Right on.

I borrowed my brothers KTM and got stuck, lol

Old 12-05-2020, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Home for lunch on the first snow and ice day...

The town has a huge reserve of salt due to a mild last winter...
19?? VW woods buggy
1989 Cherokee Crawler
Old 12-05-2020, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
First snow that sticks (or ice) is always the most dangerous. When I used to commute from Western Mass to Upstate New York (54 miles each way), there was a hill on I-90 going west from the Hudson river near Downtown Albany. There was always someone with summer tires trying to keep speed going up the hill, sliding out from spinning tires.

I commuted year round with my all season tires. but if it snowed, I'd get the jack out and change to the snows I kept in the trunk.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Quote:
^^^I didn't know that feature came in cars now. Mine plugs into the gas pedal wiring harness.
18? That's crazy! The Volt has 2. I haven't timed it, but it seems like foot to the floor acceleration is about the same in either mode. A remapped the throttle is a bit more fun, but pretty useless in a practical sense. It's like putting a lighter spring on your carburetor throttle. It feels like you're going faster because you aren't smashing the pedal so hard. But the engine is still doing the same thing.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

^^^ It allows your throttle body valve to open much quicker.
This video explains it better.

Old 12-05-2020, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: