Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned

High-pitched, Hydraulic Whine

Driving the Chevy Express today and when I came to a stop at a stop light, I heard a high-pitched, hydraulic-pump like whine coming from the front of the vehicle. I had had the transmissions fluid replaced a week ago (preventative--it was a used rental when I bought it). I became concerned that something might be going with the transmission. But the sound clearly sounded more like a power steering pump whining.

On the way home I grabbed lunch for the family at a drive thru, and I found that the sound went away when I put it in park. Did taking a load off the engine have something to do with it? Even stranger, I found the sound returned when I shifted into neutral (either from drive or park).

I got home and got to investigating. I had my wife help as I needed someone to shift it to drive and keep their foot on the brake. She put it in drive and I immediately heard the whine but I couldn't place it. I got out my mechanic's stethoscope and checked the power steering pump. Nope. I checked the brake booster. Nope. I checked the engine block. Lots of noise, but no whine.

Then I found it....

The driver's side headlight! I had put cheap, $10 LED bulbs in a year ago. The one on the drivers side was not lighting but the fan on the back was making the whining noise. I was actually really happy with the performance of the headlights, but I'm not surprised that they failed so quickly given the price point. I had actually ordered two sets so I removed the year-old set and replaced them with the new ones. I'll order another set of nicer ones for when these fail.

Old 12-26-2020, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Well, I would have never guessed that one .
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 12-27-2020, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
UnRegistered User

Garage
Try replacing the blinker fluid next...

I most likely would not have heard it. High frequency doesn't exist to me anymore...

Interesting find though.
And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.
Old 12-27-2020, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

I put LED headlight bulbs in my wife's Odyessey and when the car is in the garage, key on but not running and headlights on I can hear a whirring noise from the fans on the bulbs. Can't hear it when the engine is running but that may just be one of the benefits of being half deaf.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Now that you mention it, there are aftermarket LED's in our Denali, and likewise, they make noise . You could never hear it with the engine running , or even from inside the cabin, but outside of the vehicle, there is a dull humm. I just had to replace one of the chineesium ballasts ., and remember hearing that when I was trying to diagnose it.
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 12-27-2020, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Wait.....headlights have fans now?
Old 12-27-2020, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Registered

When replacing the standard headlight bulb with LED, they often have a little cooling fan attached...

Old 12-27-2020, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
=VLOOKUP(val,tab,col,rng)

Garage
WOW.

TF kind of headlights are those?

rjp
Old 12-27-2020, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Yep, I have some of those in my truck, makes it much safer to drive and I have never had anyone flash their lights at me.

Well not exactly like that, but similar. Mine were not that cheap.

Of course I can't hear squat over the PowerStroke.
Old 12-27-2020, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Nice fine. I have an occasional whine from the passenger seat area... there are times it’ll continue even after I shut off the ignition.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I was going to guess bad pulley, take the belt off engine run for a few seconds and if sound goes away it's one of the pulley bearings or something else the serpentine belt rotates.

Headlight light bulb?

New one to me.

None of our cars use LED - yet.
George, Architect
Old 12-28-2020, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrken View Post
Nice fine. I have an occasional whine from the passenger seat area... there are times itíll continue even after I shut off the ignition.
late last night as i was taking out the trash i heard a whine coming from the rear of the Subaru. We used it earlier to do some errands. Engine was off. Been off for about 7 hours. This morning i decided to find out what the hell was going on. Turns out they have an auto fuel evaporating leakage checking system that runs for @ 15min. 5-10 hours after the engine is shut off. Never heard of such a thing, but it's in the owners manual. Some GM vehicles do the same.

Old 12-28-2020, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: