Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
aka 'vageen'

Garage
Covid Dilemma

While I was recovering from my knee surgery yesterday, my wife got the call from my kids school to come get my son. One of the kids in his class (one of Clay’s buddies) tested positive for Covid. He was at school on Monday and naturally they played together at recess.

The effected boy’s twin sister was still at school yesterday and ‘OK’.

Now the entire class at the school is on mandatory 10 day quarantine. My son has 6 days of ski race training he is going to miss.

My thoughts are to wait until early next week to let this incubate if it’s going to and then get Clay tested. He can’t go back to school until Feb 1 but if he tests negative, there is no reason he can’t go skiing.

What are your thoughts?

The crappy part about this is the optics.

Optics for me - I told the nurse in recovery as soon as I found out. They weren’t worried as I didn’t have contact with the kid.

Optics for our family if we go skiing (I think I will be upfront with the ski club about it if we go down this path and we won’t do it if there is going to be upset parents).

Optics for the family of the kid who tested positive. They went to Arizona for Christmas and I don’t know if they did the quarantine/ testing when they returned. Both parents are famous and almost every Albertan would know who their father is.

It’s a crummy deal for all of us. I hope the test was a false positive or he contracted it after he got home.

Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche

Last edited by unclebilly; 01-21-2021 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: 2 reasons... iPhone has a mind of its own and I’m hopped up on post surgery pain killers.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

At a local school where it spread like wild fire. 3 days where the norm for symptoms to be evident. Usually it was ice pick down the eye socket headache, body ache, sporadic fever, taste or smell. This public school goes against state health department regarding all students wearing masks. Kids came to school knowing they had no taste or smell. Refusing to get tested.

I think you're fine.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

You are lucky it's only 10 days. Ontario is 14, we just went through it when a New Years visitor tested positive on Jan 3.

You can't test your way out of quarantine. It's ten days. Stay home. It sucks.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

My nephew had to quarantine for 10 days when one of his classmates tested positive. Not sure what my brother did to quarantine him in a house of 6, but he couldn't go back to school.

I would get him tested in a few days and proceed as planned if he tests negative.

We had family come in from Florida for the holidays. They arrived on the 18th of December. They all had already been through covid a month prior. I thought it was a bad idea for them to come, but I didn't get to make the rules. Prior to their arrival, my employer told me I was no longer allowed to perform my duties in the field. I would have/ could have been a super spreader. I visit 25-30 clients daily.

I quarantined and isolated as much as I could beginning on the 11th of December, leaving the house, by myself, wearing a mask, no more than 6 times leading up to Christmas and following.

The fam damily was blowing and going the whole time without a care in the world. I was pissed, but could not stop them, they had already had covid.

She and I showed symptoms on the 28th, went through hell, and tested positive on Jan 3.

10 days isn't that bad, 30 plus days sucks.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
aka 'vageen'

Garage
^^^ agreed.

And for skiing next weekend will be 11 days since his contact with the boy who tested +ve.

I’m thinking a negative test plus 11 days should be pretty safe.
Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche
Old 01-21-2021, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
It'll be legen-waitforit

I feel ya, one of our sons was sent home due to a student in their class before Christmas. They were almost one a day before the break. We all got tested (negative) just to be sure. It sucks but itís also a life lesson for him to do whatís best for the greater good. Teaching him otherwise is why we are all in this situation (my opinion).

Stay home, stay safe
Gone: 79 911SC, 83 944, 05 Cayenne Turbo
Old 01-21-2021, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Registered

Follow the narional/local protocol to the letter. Don't set yourself up for criticism or worse.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
Given the timing your plan seems reasonable.

It's all such a crap shoot.

My wife was going to be in FL next week as it's been a bit since she's seen her parents and FIL is 81 and dealing with some health stuff.

SIL, lives in NJ, had a minor procedure scheduled in two weeks with a Dr in FL.

She asked my wife to come the same week to help her out with post op as it would be a burden to the in-laws, more than they could handle in addition to FIL's issues.

Wife agrees.

SIL calls yesterday. Over the past week they hosted 6 of my nephews West Point classmates for some RnR.

All the kids tested negative before arriving.

One turned up positive after leaving.

My niece is running a fever and awaiting her test results.

My BIL tested positive already.

She had to cancel her surgery because the timing won't work for her to be 100% in the clear by the time she has to be there.

Just boggles the mind, you know you have something important coming up and the math is not hard, why take the risk, the boys could have done RnR somewhere else.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stomachmonkey View Post
Just boggles the mind, you know you have something important coming up and the math is not hard, why take the risk, the boys could have done RnR somewhere else.

Boggles my mind also. Despite a scare around Christmas, my daughter's in-laws have it now. You would think a scare would raise their caution level.

I hope your SIL is smart enough not to go to Florida to see parents.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
aka 'vageen'

Garage
He has to quarantine for 2 weeks regardless of a negative test... 3 kids in his class now, the twins and one more...
Old 01-21-2021, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad911 View Post
Boggles my mind also. Despite a scare around Christmas, my daughter's in-laws have it now. You would think a scare would raise their caution level.

I hope your SIL is smart enough not to go to Florida to see parents.
If she goes she'll be staying in a hotel.

In laws live in a gated community, they won't let SIL in LOL
Old 01-21-2021, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebilly View Post
He has to quarantine for 2 weeks regardless of a negative test... 3 kids in his class now, the twins and one more...
That sucks, but I can tell you a close call has made me far less adventurous of late. Even the twenty-somethings that got it were pretty sick. Not deathly ill, just sick for over a week. I'm too old for that.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

It seems to pretty much wipe a month off your life as far as I can tell. Maybe less if you're young and lucky and maybe more if not.
SIL in Phoenix went 19 for 19 in immediate family members infected on or around Dec 23rd. 3 with pneumonia aged 10, 38 and 65. 38 yo fitness instructor on oxygen and antibiotics in the first 10 days but now in the hospital with worsening condition. Rest of the adults down for the count 3-4 weeks. Other than the 10yo, kids were fine.
It all started with one of the sisters who cuts hair out of her house and had 2 infected pre teens for a haircut.
I guess it's a basic risk versus benefit question.

Old 01-22-2021, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: