Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Back in the saddle again

How much do you tip movers?

We moved. We had a ~850sqft 1 br apt. But the move was a little weird.

Put everything in apt into a truck.

Drive 25 miles and drop off a king size mattress and bed frame and a few boxes.

Drive another 5 miles and pick up a refrigerator and small piece of furniture.

Drive 120 miles and unload at final destination. While there, move one refrigerator ~150 ft into a garage, then put the other fridge into the kitchen.

Total charges for moving ~$1750. (flat fee plus hourly rate for 3 guys).

We tipped $100 each. I felt like that was pretty fair, but then I don't know because I don't do this often.

It's done and they are long gone, so we won't be changing anything, but I'm curious to see if there's a consensus that it was too much or not enough or a wide range of opinions (most likely).

'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old Today, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
If they didn't break anything I would say that is mighty generous of you.

I've never had 'movers' move me. It's always been me and family members doing the move.
Old Today, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Unregistered

I'd say anything over zero is more than generous.

Don't know what happened, but it seems like everyone has his hand out nowadays expecting "something extra" for doing his job.
I was in a subway sandwich shop the other day and at the cash register, it showed a recommended tip that I had to physically push a button to decline before proceeding.
I see that as way out of line. If subway feels they deserve more money then subway should pay them more.

If I ever go back to a subway (doubtful), I'll be sure to pay in cash. Exact change
Old Today, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

I always bought them lunch and 4 or 5 bucks an hour each for packing/unloading time. Depends on quality of work.
Old Today, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

I had no idea tipping movers was a thing? I never got any when I help friends move only because I have dollies, air sled and trucks. Cheap bastards.
Old Today, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

I have never recieved a tip in my life (for anything)!

I intentionally break their schit when friends ask for help too

Am I wrong?
Old Today, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

I've helped moving a piano a couple different times. No tip..except a phone number to a local Chiropractor.
Old Today, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Nada.

If I'm quoted price, that's the price I pay. If the owner doesn't charge enough to pay their workers a fair wage, that's between them.

I'm tired of playing the guessing game of "what should I tip?" at every single damn place of business.
Old Today, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

This should be standard everywhere.

Old Today, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

I wouldn't even help Keith Hernandez move these daze .... or Jerry S. for that matter !
Old Today, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

All 3 of my moves were paid by corporate. I actually had a great time during my last packing.

The movers (4) came in and looked the place over and asked what went. I told them everything they see.

I told em "see this couch? This is where I'll be all day." I just laid out and worked/played while they did their thing. I gave em a rash of chit on how much packing they used on each piece of China or crystal. Told em they would lose money on this move just because of all the packing/bubble wrap they were using.

About halfway through the packing I heard this crash and glass breaking from a bedroom. I hollered out "I hope that wasn't that priceless antique glass shade!" A few seconds later the guy in the room came out with a sheepish look on his face. It was the overhead light fixture that he broke. About 3 bucks at Home Depot. I told him it was at least a $10,000 shade. Lol.

Last edited by Sooner or later; Today at 02:38 PM..
Old Today, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Misunderstood User

Garage
In the late 60s and early 70s, I worked for a moving company. It funded my college education. It paid over minimum wage and later I a joined the union and was paid union scale. I really enjoyed it because no two days were alike - like going around the world. Moved politicians, celebrities, the wealthy, the middle class and the poor. I also moved people out of the projects. Even went out of town - traveled all thru the Midwest. I got money for out of town expenses and millage money. I saved most of it - it gave me more money for school.

It was hard work: hot, cold, snow, rain, homes, high rises and the dreaded 3rd floor walk up to a 3rd floor walk up. - but my goal was college. People would tip at times. If the driver was greedy, he pocketed all of it or would keep the larger percentage and then distribute the remaining to the crew (usually 2, sometimes 3). What I did see was more tipping from the average family rather than the those who were affluent. Tipping back them was around $5, sometimes $10. I have never forgotten that time or the experience.

So, I tip - movers, furniture/appliance deliveries. "Have a beer on me" I say.

1983 944n/a
2003 Mercedes CLK 500 - totaled. Sanwiched on the Kennedy Expressway

Last edited by jcommin; Today at 04:11 PM..
Old Today, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Actual Porsche owner

Garage
$100 each is damn generous. We had 8 guys moving us. An $800 tip on a $3500 bill seems extremely generous.
Old Today, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdfifteen View Post
$100 each is damn generous. We had 8 guys moving us. An $800 tip on a $3500 bill seems extremely generous.
13 years ago we tipped 800 on a 3500 bill - 100 a head.
They seemed quite .. happy.

Id probably do the same. A wall of books is heavy, and the amount of crap in the garage is off the chain.
Old Today, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Model Citizen

I moved furniture for part of a summer. Hardest damn job I ever had in my whole life, EVER! and the only tip I ever got was "don't scratch my dining room chairs".

Wanna know the best part? You put the really heavy stuff - like pianos - in first for weight distribution. Fast forward towards the end of the move, when you're hot and tired and hungry and cranky- I reckon I don't have to tell you all here what you still have waiting for you in the front of the van?
Old Today, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered ConfUser

We did the same when we moved. 4 guys loaded two trucks, drove 2.5 hours, unloaded the next morning. Two 10 hour days. Tipped them $100 each in addition to $4.5k for the move. And felt like I short changed them. Good guys, worked hard, showed up on time, personable, etc.

Can’t imagine doing less for those guys. Good, honest hard work.
2019 SeaRay 210 SPX
Old Today, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

our pro mover broke the new TV and destroyed a Ligne Roset couch.
no tip.
Old Today, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdfifteen View Post
Right, if it had been 8 guys and the move had been quick (as I imagine it did for you) then we wouldn't have tipped that much. Also, as far as we can tell so far, they didn't break anything or beat any walls up at the source or destination. For us it was due to the fact that it was 8am - 515pm due to having 4 different stops, and then moving a refrigerator that they didn't have to move from our house to our garage as well as moving the other fridge where the one had come from. So, the three guys worked for us a little over 9 hours (they stopped about 20 mins for lunch). If you don't want to count travel time, they worked ~6 hours.
Old Today, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan A View Post
13 years ago we tipped 800 on a 3500 bill - 100 a head.
They seemed quite .. happy.

Id probably do the same. A wall of books is heavy, and the amount of crap in the garage is off the chain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocaholic View Post
We did the same when we moved. 4 guys loaded two trucks, drove 2.5 hours, unloaded the next morning. Two 10 hour days. Tipped them $100 each in addition to $4.5k for the move. And felt like I short changed them. Good guys, worked hard, showed up on time, personable, etc.

Cant imagine doing less for those guys. Good, honest hard work.
That's kind of how we felt. The guy said "we'll be there at 8am." My wife got a call or text at 725 that said "we're on the way" and they showed up at exactly 8am.

As far as we can tell, they didn't break anything or treat anything poorly. They did a good job. My wife originally said "what do you think, $80 for the head guy and $60 each for the other two?" I suggested that if they do the refrigerator juggling that we wanted them to do without any complaints or eye rolling and didn't break anything or beat any walls up that I'd be happy to tip $100 each. (it's not like the head guy is actually working harder than the other two).
Old Today, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Retired Member

Helped move 95 yr. old F/in law from 2 bedroom to 1 bedroom apt in his seniors residence last Saturday. We moved him 20 ft. to the next apt. Even though it was a small move I haven't been that sore in years.
The only tip I got was a sub for lunch. It was worth it, he's a good guy.
I will tip $10 each to furniture/ appliance delivery people.

Old Today, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: