Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

F150 4.2L Idler Pulley

I've finally traced the constant rattle at idle in my F150 to the upper idler pulley. I bought a replacement pulley. I bought a Haines manual. The instructions for replacing the idler pulley are all of: "Relieve tension on the serpentine belt. Remove belt. Remove upper idler pulley. Installation is reverse of disassembly."

Seeing as my 951 is garaged for the winter, I can't risk backing myself into a corner on this project. I've looked online for a good set of instructions and can't find any. My main concern is what tools do I need. I don't want to get partially into this and find I am missing a neccesary tool with no way to get to the hardware store.

Any ideas or recommendations on where to find a good set of instructions on this procedure?

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 01-16-2006, 09:16 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Kantry Member

Without going outside, brushing 8" of snow off my own F 150 (with the 4.2), I would guess you're going to need a couple of metric wrenches and a pry bar. How many kilometers? Is the belt due for replacement too? Some of these things are rather sensitive to tension. Have fun.
Les
Old 01-16-2006, 11:26 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

THere should be a square hole that fits either a 3/8, or 1/2 drive ratchet on the tensioner, Put your ratchet in this hole, turn whichever way relieves the tension, and take the belt off. The Idler is usually a 14, or 15 mm bolt. remove the bolt, and the pulley should just fall off. Ford did use left-hand thread bolts, but not sure on yours. The tensioner should be spring loaded, and set the tension automatically.

Every Ford I've ever seen was like this, not completely sure on yours though. But being a 97, I would say it is.

Now would be a good time to change the belt if it needs it.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:52 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Call Souk, give him some money and then the two of you guys do it.

There, easy and professional.

Joe A
2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins (the workhorse), 1992 Jaguar XJ S-3 V-12 VDP (one of only 100 examples made), 1969 Jaguar XJ (been in the family since new), 1985 911 Targa backdated to 1973 RS specs with a 3.6 shoehorned in the back, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite (former SCCA H-Prod), 1995 BMW R1100RSL, 1971 & '72 BMW R75/5 "Toaster," Ural Tourist w/sidecar, 1949 Aeronca Sedan / QB
Old 01-16-2006, 04:09 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Have Souk do it. Those dogone serpentine belts can be a PITA.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:12 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well, I decided tonight was the night to attempt the pulley change. I didn't get far. In fact, I didn't do anything.

Upon further examination of the tensioner, it appears to use something like a torx or triple-square (as do all of the pulleys). Of course I own the triple-square, but I don't own the torx...Yay! Another tool to buy.

Also, it appear that the tensioner is not of the hydraulic or spring variety. I don't own a P9201, so I have no idea how to properly set the tension.

Does anyone know of any Clark's Garage-like resources for the F150 4.2L?

Old 01-20-2006, 05:59 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
Parrothead member

The idler pulley is spring-loaded and self tensioning. Put the new tensioner on, slip the belt on release the tensioner and you are done and you are done. From what I knoe its the same setup on most small block fords
Old 01-22-2006, 12:51 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I did it. It seems to work. Nothing has blown up (yet).

The biggest PITA was getting the belt back on. Even with the tensioner all the way loosened, I had trouble getting it around all of the pulleys. I decided that the last pulley to slip the belt over should be the upper idler (the one I replaced) because it was smooth (it runs against the smooth back sides of the belts--many of the other pulleys are grooved and run against the ribbed side). I decided to use the wooden handle of my mallet hammer to try to push the belt over the pulley, but I still couldn't get the belt over the pulley. (I know better than to try to use a screwdriver. I wanted to use something that wouldn't potentially damage the pulley or belt.) I finally had a lucky accident. While pushing down, the belt slipped off of the mallet handle........and surprisingly onto the pulley. Once I double-checked that the belt was properly aligned on all of the pulleys, I tightened the tensioner and started her up. No problems since!

Old 01-23-2006, 06:47 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Parrothead member

Good to hear Legion. Yeah i know. even with the tensioner released all the way the belt is still pretty tight. I had to change 3 of them on my Bronco and my old f250. They kept developing that famous Ford "belt squeal". Too bad the factory couldnt come up[ with an easy setup like that for the 944!
Old 01-23-2006, 07:38 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Old 01-23-2006, 07:38 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: