Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fun street car... Formula Vee!

I remember seeing this car advertised for $8500Can a while ago. It's a '65 Huron Formula Vee, registered for street use in Ontario.

The new owner posted this picture on another forum:

I'm not a huge fan of the fake knock-offs, but they beat the slotted mags it was for sale with. I'd nix the decals & wing too, and put on some different headlights.

But that's just nitpicking... I think it would be a HOOT to have a street car like this. I wonder if it's just registered as a 65 VW?
+ a whole bunch of boats
Old 03-19-2007, 06:52 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Too much time on my hands

Send a message via AIM to masraum
That's excellent. I think I'd keep the tail but lose the graphics down the side. I like the headlights.

What's up with the positive camber in the back? Does it drop that much with the weight of the driver? The front looks like it's got a fair amount of negative camber.

I'd love to drive that to work, but driving with all of the trucks & SUVs here would be a bit scary. I'd need a REALLY loud horn.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960 (prissy red interior ) - never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 03-19-2007, 07:24 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Mr. Karma

Yes, they have that much positive camber. Early bugs had a solid rear axle.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:27 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Had a friend with a Lotus Europa years ago. She sold it after a year and 3 accidents. It was so small that people kept pulling into her lane hitting her or forcing her off of the road.

Bet that the tall wing is an attempt to keep this from happening. Would be a fun car but would paint it dayglo orange or green and be real careful with the other traffic.
2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins (the workhorse), 1992 Jaguar XJ S-3 V-12 VDP (one of only 100 examples made), 1969 Jaguar XJ (been in the family since new), 1985 911 Targa backdated to 1973 RS specs with a 3.6 shoehorned in the back, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite (former SCCA H-Prod), 1995 BMW R1100RSL, 1971 & '72 BMW R75/5 "Toaster," Ural Tourist w/sidecar, 1949 Aeronca Sedan / QB
Old 03-19-2007, 07:54 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I suppose it would be like driving a motorcycle in traffic. You'd have to drive as though NO ONE could see you, and drive accordingly.

My understanding of Formula Vees is that they use the early swing arm suspension. Some of the later Formula Super Vee and Formula First cars can use IRS, I think.

Something like this would be cool too:

Just for kicks, I called the DMV and my insurance company to see how you register & insure something like this.

Registration actually seemed pretty straighforward, you bring in the specs (weight, # of axles, year of construction). They'll give you a temporary registration until you get a safetly inspection. However, you would need insurance to get the process going.

My insurance company said that they have two classifications for "special builds". The first is for it cars based on a production car chassis, or modified chassis. The car would be insured as the "base" vehicle. The second is for "replicas" that have a new chassis (I suppose like a 550 or Cobra replica). They insure it as "xxxx(ie cobra or Porsche) replica" with the date of construction as the year. Didn't seem too complicated.

Gears turning... dim lights flickering...
+ a whole bunch of boats
Old 03-19-2007, 08:30 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
drag racing the short bus

This would be a great car for those who want cars like the Atom or the Rocket, but can't or don't want to afford the astronomical prices. As is, I'd trust a Formula Vee or Formula Ford over either of the retail cars just from the standpoint of simplicity.

I agree the wing could help in preventative measures. But what would really make the car safe would be a loud tailpipe. People do move over when they hear a shriek behind him.

Lastly, I don't think a set up like the car pictured, is street legal in Cali...unfortunately...
Old 03-19-2007, 08:34 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally posted by notfarnow

Just for kicks, I called the DMV and my insurance company to see how you register & insure something like this.

Registration actually seemed pretty straighforward, you bring in the specs (weight, # of axles, year of construction). They'll give you a temporary registration until you get a safetly inspection. However, you would need insurance to get the process going.

My insurance company said that they have two classifications for "special builds". The first is for it cars based on a production car chassis, or modified chassis. The car would be insured as the "base" vehicle. The second is for "replicas" that have a new chassis (I suppose like a 550 or Cobra replica). They insure it as "xxxx(ie cobra or Porsche) replica" with the date of construction as the year. Didn't seem too complicated.

Gears turning... dim lights flickering...
Yeah, but again, Canada is probably much more liberal than the U.S., particularly where I am, when it comes to registering one-offs.

And my insurance company is so conservative, I bet if they were to find out I have a roll bar and a five pt. harness, they'd cancel me.

I guess the person to ask would be Jay Leno, since he drives cars like these. I bet he'd answer an email about the subject.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:38 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by dd74
This would be a great car for those who want cars like the Atom or the Rocket, but can't or don't want to afford the astronomical prices. As is, I'd trust a Formula Vee or Formula Ford over either of the retail cars just from the standpoint of simplicity.
Exactly. A poor man's Ariel Atom!

Good, complete FV's can be had for 6-8k. I've seen some rollers for 2-3k. I'll be interested to learn more about insuring & registering something like this.

Quote:
Yeah, but again, Canada is probably much more liberal than the U.S., particularly where I am, when it comes to registering one-offs.
I know I've seen sand rails registered for road use in the good 'ole USA; surely they're not running a vw VIN. Same with 550 & Cobra replicas.
+ a whole bunch of boats

Last edited by notfarnow; 03-19-2007 at 08:44 AM..
Old 03-19-2007, 08:41 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Well, at any rate, thanks Jake. You've given me something new to obsess about this week.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:45 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, at any rate, thanks Jake. You've given me something new to obsess about this week.
LOL, I know. I was up until midnight last night.

Hmmm... I wonder what mods, other than a Halon extinguisher and a full roll cage, would be needed to run something like this in the "Lakester" class at Bonneville.

Looks like I'm going to have some late nights...
+ a whole bunch of boats
Old 03-19-2007, 08:58 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Old 03-19-2007, 08:58 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: