Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Any Chemists in the house?

Problem: After changing the water on my 300 gallon saltwater tank, I had a sudden spike in the amount of nitrite (NO2) in my tank; it was 0ppm and jumped to 0.5ppm.

After confirming that there was not a problem with my tank or equipment, I tested my tap water and found that the nitrite levels in the water straight out of the tap was about 0.75ppm and the nitrate (NO3) levels were 5 - 10 ppm

Nitrite is toxic to fish, and I am to understand that it isn't exactly great for humans either. Does anyone happen to know what the acceptable level of nitrite is for drinking water?

Thanks

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 05-07-2007, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
This from a pretty informative site. Also shows highest amounts reported throughout the US... Seems TX, WA and CA head the list.

http://www.ewg.org/tapwater/contaminants/contaminant.php?contamcode=1038

Last edited by RickM; 05-07-2007 at 10:37 AM..
Old 05-07-2007, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Unoffended by naked girls

Garage
Send a message via AIM to dhoward
Start using RO water....
Tough on anenomes too...
www.labreaprecision.com
www.concealedcarrymidwest.com
Old 05-07-2007, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Who is John Galt?

I'm a chemist with a few years of saltwater experience to boot.

A much cheaper alternative to RO is a deionozer. You can buy one that will generate 10 M-ohm water right from the tap. Whatever you do, don't use untreated tapwater in your tank, for a variety of reasons.

BTW, there's plenty of nitrite in hot dogs and deli meat, which is why I don't eat them!

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Unoffended by naked girls

Garage
Send a message via AIM to dhoward
Mmmmm.........Hot dogs.....
www.labreaprecision.com
www.concealedcarrymidwest.com
Old 05-08-2007, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
There was a study published a while ago correlating the frequency of childhood leukemia with the number of hot-dogs consumed per month.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: