Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Custom User Title

Over the years, I expect to receive less and less grief from people about forcing seatbelt use in my car. That is because I expect them to know more and more people who learned the hard way.

You are taking the right lesson from this, and I am glad. No more unbelted passengers, ever.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
You may have a minimal responsibility, but there is a concept called contributory negligence. Neither you or the wife were hurt at all, both in seatbelts. Both of your passengers get hurt after refusing to wear seatbelts.

If you were a judge, what would you call it, 99.9% they are responsible for own injuries, you are 0.1% responsible, maybe less.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 1fastredsc
Ok, got some news today and now my blood is really boiling.
Turns out the insurance "settled" and paid the entire medical bill plus an extra 3700 dollars to one of my relatives. Yesterday that relative went out and bought a new/used car with the money.
BTW, i forgot to mention that i live across the street from them and so i see what goes on over there.
Not to mention my insurance kicked my jeep off the policy probably because of this incident. I have thoroughly reconsidered my original feeling of guilt into pure rage at the moment. It was one thing to pay partial for what is considered my portion of the accident. But i was in communication with them since then on and off and obviously they lied to my face claiming that no legal action was going to be considered, and that they haven't discussed anything with the insurance therefore no blaim was being thrown my way. Now to find out that they paid the bill plus extra money for what i assume is there "troubles", plus the insurance company used the word "settled" when describing what happened which translates in my head to they were pursuing legal action.
I'm so f**king pissed right now it's not even funny. And to think these guys were good friends/relatives before all this, what a bunch of backstabbing pieces of *****.
I hope i can clear my head before heat transfer.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Registered

Your relatives suck...sorry about that! It's gonna be hard, but let it go, and move on...life's to short...good luck!
Old 08-23-2007, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
Tough one. That sucks.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
New kid in town

They probably assume they are 'giving it' to your insurance company with no thought to the impact to you. I'd bet they won't be feeling so good about things when they hear that the Jeeps been dropped, and the extra insurance you'll be paying.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phred68 View Post
They probably assume they are 'giving it' to your insurance company with no thought to the impact to you. I'd bet they won't be feeling so good about things when they hear that the Jeeps been dropped, and the extra insurance you'll be paying.
Why would you bet that? Do you think such people have consciences or even consider what happens to others?
Old 08-23-2007, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Well what's funny is that before i was under my parents name in the insurance even though i was a household driver (i paid for the jeep, but my dad's name is on the title), however our agent is cool and knew that i was a driver and we were trying to save money (plus my driving record for the last 5 years is very clean). However because of this incident now the insurance wants me under the policy as an official driver of the household which will totally screw our rates all because of this. And from what i can tell it wasn't till the insurance paid out that this was a problem so like you said, obviously they weren't "giving it" to the insurance company, they are now "giving it" to me.
BTW, i just found out that the jeep is dropped......... until i become an official household driver, at which time then they will allow it back on the policy.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
New kid in town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
Why would you bet that? Do you think such people have consciences or even consider what happens to others?
I think there is a detachment when you think you are getting something from the BIG insurance company that isn't there when you know you're really taking it from your family/friend/neighbor.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phred68 View Post
I think there is a detachment when you think you are getting something from the BIG insurance company that isn't there when you know you're really taking it from your family/friend/neighbor.
It's that exact mentality that the ambulance chasers and Dickie Scruggs of the world depend on.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
New kid in town

I'm not saying I agree with it, or that I think it's right in any way, because I don't.

But I do believe that's the way it is with a lot of people. I also think that in the end, 'most' people would feel bad knowing they screwed their family/friend/neighbor.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

the driver is responsible for his passengers. very simple as i see it.
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Student of the obvious

I think insurance companies are quick to pay small claims like this. It's much less expensive for them to pay $5000 to make it go away than to successfully defend a $50K law suit. Once the settlement is accepted there's a release of all future claims. If your relatives discover that, as a result of the accident that they have neck pain 6 months from now they won't be able to do anything about it.

Mazda 3 S Touring Hatchback
Old 08-23-2007, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by berettafan View Post
the driver is responsible for his passengers. very simple as i see it.
Adults are responsible for themselves. That is the law in most places in this country.

You probably should sue them in small claims court if you are that angry about it, at the very least talk to them about your jeep getting dropped off your insurance and them getting a car out of the deal. Your insurance company had them sign a release, paid them and is now done with it, except for your insurance being dropped.

Last edited by Tobra; 08-23-2007 at 01:09 PM..
Old 08-23-2007, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
It's that exact mentality that the ambulance chasers and Dickie Scruggs of the world depend on.
That really SUCKS, you have every right to be pi$$ed!! And to think, there are some idots who want Edwards (a ambulance chaser) to be President

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 08-23-2007, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

Sue them for damage to your Jeep from them making you drive down that road with the dip in it. I bet it would fly in court.
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black Betty
2014 BMW i3 Giga World
Old 08-23-2007, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

i should clarify that i don't agree with the insurance co paying them a dime for pain & suffering.

you drove down a trail you had no experience on in the dark of night at the direction of a couple of drunks. you might be an experienced off roader but you sure haven't learned much.
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobra View Post
You may have a minimal responsibility, but there is a concept called contributory negligence. Neither you or the wife were hurt at all, both in seatbelts. Both of your passengers get hurt after refusing to wear seatbelts.

If you were a judge, what would you call it, 99.9% they are responsible for own injuries, you are 0.1% responsible, maybe less.

in some states i believe contributory negligence nets the claimant a big fat goose egg.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
But I never understood why it's cheaper to pay $5k to make an already weak case go away. It's not like the plaintiffs were gonna actually pony up for a serious lawyer for this. And insurance companies surely have in-house lawyers to fight the small ones. Why do they roll over so easily?

When I got hurt as a passenger in a car rollover in college (I was wearing my seatbelt or I'd have died.), my dad just wanted my medical stuff reimbursed by the driver's insur., which was something like $300 out of his pocket. The insur. offered him $1000 to sign a release or nothing at all. He reiterated that he only wanted his out of pocket covered. They said take it or leave it. So we took it. That must add up to real money.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Well i'm out of class and home, got to look over the official note from our claims agent. Apparently the medical bill was 3700, and they made an offer of 6700 and settled, this was with one of the relatives. The other one at this time according to the claims agent is seeking a lawyer........
Looks like i may totally get kicked from the insurance once all is said and done. At this point, i'm so disgusted i can't even describe it. Looks like my financial aid is going out of the window......., i feel sick........

Old 08-23-2007, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: