Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered User
 
1fastredsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to 1fastredsc
Quote:
Originally Posted by berettafan View Post
you might be an experienced off roader but you sure haven't learned much.
Well, chaulk this one up to another "learning" experience.

__________________
2007 Mazda 3 hatch
1972 Porsche 914 roller with plenty of holes to fix
Old 08-23-2007, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
(the shotguns)
 
berettafan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 15,327
well if i can say anything in your defense it's that your relatives should be ashamed of themselves. i agree with others that say they are probably thinking it's the insurance co. they're screwing.
__________________
*****************************************
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
Registered
 
Jays72T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Quad Cities IA
Posts: 1,234
Garage
That really sux, time to have a talk and make them pay for the insurance.
__________________
Jay
'13 X3 3.5
'74 914
'72 T gone
Old 08-23-2007, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
East bound and down
 
Capt. Carrera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 2,217
Garage
I've got to agree 98% of the actual problem is created by insurance companies. Rather than worrying about every penny, they need to worry about the precedence and expectation they create. It would truly behoove them to loose some money on claims and end the “Just hit the Lotto” mentality.

As for your neighbor’s / relative's? Go for a ride in their new car. Claim you have symptoms from "that sudden stop..." What's good for the goose...
__________________
Robert
Columbia, SC '88 Carrera (Sold).
'96 Viper RT/10
Old 08-23-2007, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Registered User
 
1fastredsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to 1fastredsc
Ok, talked to my mother who got the skinny both from my agent and from the claim rep. Apparently they went into the office of my insurance agent and whipped up a storm, even going so far to threaten my agent over the ordeal. BTW, my agent describes them as a bunch of thugs and didn't buy there BS, especially when these guys come in and threaten my agent who..... btw..... is a handicapped man (in a wheelchair).
Then the story from the claim rep as to there official story which is what they are going by goes something like this. The story is that we went over a 4 ft cliff, that i was driving recklessly at a very high rate of speed and never gave them a chance to put there seat belt on.
So now because of there story, they are dropping there part of the negligence and putting full driver negligence on me. This means that the insurance rate will possibly double because they are going to tack 3 points on my license (haven't had points on my license in at least 5 years).
And also one of them is in fact pursuing legal action to try and get more money for his troubles according to the agent.
__________________
2007 Mazda 3 hatch
1972 Porsche 914 roller with plenty of holes to fix
Old 08-23-2007, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Registered User
 
1fastredsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to 1fastredsc
At this rate, i'd already given up on the 911 about 4 months ago (when i decided to sell it), because i couldn't afford it. I used the money to downgrade to a cheaper hobby vehicle in the jeep(my body can't handle ATV's anymore). Now i may have to sell the jeep at some point, and maybe barely afford the TDI beetle to get me to college.
All the while one of them has another car and a new cell phone AND DOESN'T EVEN WORK, and the other is seeking legal action because they want even MORE money.
__________________
2007 Mazda 3 hatch
1972 Porsche 914 roller with plenty of holes to fix
Old 08-23-2007, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)
 
Registered
 
Rick Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Cave Creek, AZ USA
Posts: 40,376
Garage
You should try to get your insur. co's fraud division on your relatives. I'd certainly disown them and never ever speak to them again.
__________________
2014 BMW X1
2015 BMW S1000R
2019 VW Jetta SE
Old 08-23-2007, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
Registered
 
Racerbvd's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
You should try to get your insur. co's fraud division on your relatives. I'd certainly disown them and never ever speak to them again.
Ditto, and if that gets no where, take for another ride, but let them be under the jeep when you drive off the cliff. I would do like Rick states, but track down the records of their law suites, if, as you say, they have a list, the insurance company will take action.
__________________
Byron

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&

Last edited by Racerbvd; 08-23-2007 at 05:53 PM..
Old 08-23-2007, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
Registered ConfUser
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Waterlogged in GA
Posts: 15,316
Wait a minute.......you decided it was a good idea to go 4-wheeling, at night, at the suggestion of two drunk relatives, with full knowledge that they were not belted in, on terrain you'd never visited before, while they were drinking. Doesn't this strike anyone as incredibly stupid? Perhaps the words immature, or ridiculously poor judgement come to mind.

You set yourself up for this, and you're lucky it isn't worse. Either of those drunks could have easily been tossed from the Jeep and killed. Use your ******* brain next time.

Dude...I'm not siding with your family...they're idiots, just like you were. At the end of the day, the blame rests with you. Count your lucky stars that you're not in jail while missing a funeral or two.

Lesson learned. I hope.
__________________
Mike
2019 BMW R nine T
Old 08-23-2007, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
Registered User
 
1fastredsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to 1fastredsc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocaholic View Post
You set yourself up for this, and you're lucky it isn't worse. Either of those drunks could have easily been tossed from the Jeep and killed. Use your ******* brain next time.
Not to be picky, but the jeep is a hard top, they can't be "thrown." The rest of what you said is all true, however it doesn't strike you as odd that our system allows them to purchase "bling" (cars, cellphones, etc) with the extra money received, while i'm searching for an affordable insurance to continue commuting to college?
__________________
2007 Mazda 3 hatch
1972 Porsche 914 roller with plenty of holes to fix
Old 08-23-2007, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
Registered ConfUser
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Waterlogged in GA
Posts: 15,316
Not a bit. Know why? Life isn't fair. Never will be. Same applies to our legal system. Do stupid things and you're stepping right into the middle of a system that has no concept of "fair". You got off easy. If you're chapped because the system seems to be rewarding the wrong people, get over it. It happens every day and it doesn't matter. Your relatives have shown their true colors. That's all that matters.

Again....lesson learned. I hope.
__________________
Mike
2019 BMW R nine T
Old 08-23-2007, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
(the shotguns)
 
berettafan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 15,327
fastred the good news is you are young and will recover from this with little trouble. it probably doesn't feel that way now but be sure that it will one day seem like a trivial event.

and ditto on the insurance fraud angle. 2 vs. 2 on whether they were drinking should be a good start. perhaps the docs that tended to them noted the odor of alcohol and recorded it?
__________________
*****************************************
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)
Registered User
 
1fastredsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to 1fastredsc
Quote:
Originally Posted by berettafan View Post
fastred the good news is you are young and will recover from this with little trouble. it probably doesn't feel that way now but be sure that it will one day seem like a trivial event.

and ditto on the insurance fraud angle. 2 vs. 2 on whether they were drinking should be a good start. perhaps the docs that tended to them noted the odor of alcohol and recorded it?
Actually it's funny you mention that, the nurses were making wise cracks at them because they could smell the alcohol a mile away. They kept telling them to stop getting into fights with each other, thinking that there story with the jeep was a cover up for a fight.
I'm actually starting to calm down over this, i guess there isn't anything i can do except let it go. I wanted to transfer the vehicles to my name at some point anyway, i guess now is a good time, although the rates i was quoted online are hard to swallow.

BTW thanks for all the comments, whole reason for posting this here (besides the fact that it's OT) was to get some non-affiliated neutral remarks on the incident. Whether the comments were negative or positive i appreciated all of them. It times like these that make you want to become a radical right-winger.
__________________
2007 Mazda 3 hatch
1972 Porsche 914 roller with plenty of holes to fix
Old 08-23-2007, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
Registered
 
Racerbvd's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastredsc View Post
Actually it's funny you mention that, the nurses were making wise cracks at them because they could smell the alcohol a mile away. They kept telling them to stop getting into fights with each other, thinking that there story with the jeep was a cover up for a fight.
I'm actually starting to calm down over this, i guess there isn't anything i can do except let it go. I wanted to transfer the vehicles to my name at some point anyway, i guess now is a good time, although the rates i was quoted online are hard to swallow.

BTW thanks for all the comments, whole reason for posting this here (besides the fact that it's OT) was to get some non-affiliated neutral remarks on the incident. Whether the comments were negative or positive i appreciated all of them. It times like these that make you want to become a radical right-winger.

Why??? Get a the nurses to tell what they saw to the insurance company, check out how many other "settlements" they have had, the insurance company may just go after them for fraud, and make an example out of them to teach others for doing the same. Yes, you screwed up, big time, but they crossed the line so you shouldn't just take it, I damn sure know that I wouldn't!!!
__________________
Byron

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 08-23-2007, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
Banned
 
legion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: State of Failure
Posts: 32,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Carrera View Post
I've got to agree 98% of the actual problem is created by insurance companies. Rather than worrying about every penny, they need to worry about the precedence and expectation they create. It would truly behoove them to loose some money on claims and end the “Just hit the Lotto” mentality.
The problem is the insurance company lawyers. They are not stupid. They ALWAYS recommend settling to avoid setting precedents. Their official reason is that the precedents could be the wrong ones. My suspicion is that they fear ANY precedent--it will put them out of a job. No precedents = more work for lawyers.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)
Registered User
 
competentone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 2,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastredsc View Post
Then the story from the claim rep as to there official story which is what they are going by goes something like this. The story is that we went over a 4 ft cliff, that i was driving recklessly at a very high rate of speed and never gave them a chance to put there seat belt on.
So now because of there story, they are dropping there part of the negligence and putting full driver negligence on me. This means that the insurance rate will possibly double because they are going to tack 3 points on my license (haven't had points on my license in at least 5 years).
Your insurance company's interests is currently not aligned with yours.

You need to determine what those points on your driving record are going to cost you and decide if you should hire an attorney to represent your interests.

That said, we are only hearing your side of the story here, if you and your wife are telling it like you explain it here, and your two relatives are telling a completely different story about the accident to the insurance company (and you have the evidence about the location in your GPS, and obvious lack of damage to your vehicle -- which pretty much proves your two relatives are lying) I do not know why the insurance company has suddenly decided to believe your two relatives and not you, your wife and the physical evidence which corroborates your description of the events?

Have you not explained to your insurance company that you have the GPS record of your trip and there is no "4 foot cliff"? Has your wife not given a sworn affidavit to your insurance company the matches your explanation of what happened?

I really think you need an attorney.

Last edited by competentone; 08-23-2007 at 11:13 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 08-23-2007, 11:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud
 
mattdavis11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Close by
Posts: 6,027
Wayne is right. You pay ins. premiums in the event you might need representation if something comes unfolded. On top of that, the Jeep is a bigger problem. Tell me you've checked it out? The frame is straight? It doesn't matter, it's not what a Jeep used to be. The time is now to dump the Jeep. Get an older Land Cruiser!
__________________
83 944
91 FJ80
84 Ram Charger (now gone)
Old 08-24-2007, 12:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)
Band.
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 12,446
Send a message via AIM to Gogar
They're working it because no one has even lifted a finger to stop them.

If you have a legal-savvy (lawyer) friend, have him give your friends/relatives a call and chat with them for 5 minutes. Hopefully he can scare the pi$$ out of them enough to get them to stop their funny business.
__________________
1983 SC Coupe 1972 911T Targa
1972 Triumph Tiger 1995 Triumph Daytona SuperIII
1963 BMW R60/2 1973 Honda CB350F
Old 08-24-2007, 12:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)
 
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 22,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by berettafan View Post
in some states i believe contributory negligence nets the claimant a big fat goose egg.
I don't know if it's true or not, but a LEO (teaching a driving class ) stated that was the case in NC.
__________________
'88 CE coupe
Old 08-24-2007, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)
Registered
 
Rick Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Cave Creek, AZ USA
Posts: 40,376
Garage
States with contrib. neg. laws are few. I believe only VA, MD and DC and maybe one other have them. They state that if you're 1% responsible then your own insurance pays for your side. So, if you're a jaywalking pedestrian and get hit by a car, you can't sue the driver. My fiance got hit pretty hard while stopped to make a left turn. Cops found the other driver at fault and even gave her a ticket. Too bad. Other driver's insur. told my fiance they weren't gonna pay because her being on the road at all constituted 1% of responsibility. And since she didn't have collision, her car was totalled and she didn't get a dime out of it.

__________________
2014 BMW X1
2015 BMW S1000R
2019 VW Jetta SE
Old 08-24-2007, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:05 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2020 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.