Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
While not a winner in the "utility" category, our 07' A4 2.0T gets around 34~36 around town, and it sure does plow though the snow. All that and I don't have to drive a Honda.
you must only drive downhill. Around town I get 21-22mpg in my 2.0T A3. Highway I can get into the high 20's but I've *never* hit 30mpg. ymmv (evidently).

Old 02-01-2008, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
http://www.autoobserver.com/2008/01/subaru-boxer-di.html
Old 02-01-2008, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
2003/04/05 S4 Avant......... utility w/ tons of cool..........mileage another story guess I could look at the 1.8Ts but they were a crap shoot.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
you must only drive downhill. Around town I get 21-22mpg in my 2.0T A3. Highway I can get into the high 20's but I've *never* hit 30mpg. ymmv (evidently).
Stays in sixth gear most of the time, really never breaks 40mph, almost two years old and it's only got 4k on it. I can post of pic of the of digital screen if you like. At 20 you're below the window sticker, have you had them check the car over? I ask because my Allroad does better than 20.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 02-01-2008, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantilla View Post
I just bought a 944S for a race car project. Pretty nice car, with lots of room under the rear hatch. Much better on gas than my full-size truck.

I may use it as a driver for a while before turnong it into a race car.
944Ss get great gas mileage. Not S2s though.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Not saying I would buy one, but to answer the question, the Jeep Liberty diesel gets around 30 mpg supposedly. I believe there is a Ford-ish hybrid out there that gets good mpg as well.

I got stuck with a standard Liberty as a loaner once. Waaay too small for me. My buddies wife pulled up next to me at a stop in her Landcruiser and started laughing at me and pointing! I think Liberties ping the gaydar almost as fast as a new Beetle, but the diesel option gives it a few man points.

Beware the used Suby. Some of the Outbacks, among others, are notorious for costly motor issues. My b.i.l. hated his late early 2000s Legend as well. Not the "bomp-proof" car he was led to believe.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Marano Jr View Post
Thanks for the input......

It is hard getting rid of a paid for vehicle...mechanically the Disco has been great and for my family you can not beat the practicality. It was the perfect vacation vehicle. I just do not think gas is going to come down and I am trying to embrace smaller cars.

Pruis makes a ton of sense and has 4 doors but it has gotten a bit pricey
CooperS tons of cool but also pricey and not long on practicality
944s and 924s very cool great value but what kind of mileage?
Why get rid of a great vehicle that is paid for ? A decent second hand car that gets good mileage will save you enough that it would be cheaper to keep the Dicovery parked. But it would be there when you need it.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mikester
We've had a prius since 2005, it replaced my Xterra. I do radio control airplanes and it is actually easier for me to transport them in the prius than the Xterra with the way the rear seats fold down. I can even fit an 80" wing in there which I couldn't do in the Xterra really (not and drive at the same time).

Gets great mileage - almost 50mpg mixed use and so far at about 30k miles it hasn't been in the shop for anything. I change the oil myself and it takes about 10 minutes. I'm due for tires though...

I heart Boobies
Old 02-01-2008, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
had the dealer check it. The sticker numbers are inflated unless you're driving downhill. Under 40mph in 6th gear? Well, if that works for ya...
Old 02-01-2008, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
had the dealer check it. The sticker numbers are inflated unless you're driving downhill. Under 40mph in 6th gear? Well, if that works for ya...
Sounds like the time my wife put mid-grade in her's it dropped to low 20's with 91 it a very different story.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 02-01-2008, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielDudley View Post
Why get rid of a great vehicle that is paid for ? A decent second hand car that gets good mileage will save you enough that it would be cheaper to keep the Dicovery parked. But it would be there when you need it.
My original theory when I purchased my 2nd 911.......
Old 02-01-2008, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Anybody know of a hybrid with a stick shift? Seems like they're all automatic.
'87 300Z ***
'80 BMW 320i ****
Old 02-01-2008, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

One of my neighbors was telling me that he gets a legitimate 40 MPG with his VW diesel.

On the other hand, it appears that our ever patriotic oil campanies and the government is rewarding the diesel drivers since after he mentioned it I noticed that deisel costs more than premium unleaded.

BTW can one of our resident oil experts tell us why diesel does cost more than premium gasoline?
Old 02-01-2008, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 1fastredsc
If you do a lot of city driving than a hybrid will shine. The brake regenerative system and a quick to warm up gas engine give it great city mileage. Diesels from my experience, owned one and worked on two others, do better on long trips and highways. I think part of that is because they take longer to warm up, and during warm up just like gas engines they take an extra shot of fuel. BTW, i'd wait until other manufacturers start bringing their diesels here because the VW TDI of late (1999-last year) is garbage.
Just to add, my MZ3 has been getting a steady 30-31 mpg since new, it's much nicer inside and to drive than it's price would have you believe.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastredsc View Post
If you do a lot of city driving than a hybrid will shine. The brake regenerative system and a quick to warm up gas engine give it great city mileage. Diesels from my experience, owned one and worked on two others, do better on long trips and highways. I think part of that is because they take longer to warm up, and during warm up just like gas engines they take an extra shot of fuel. BTW, i'd wait until other manufacturers start bringing their diesels here because the VW TDI of late (1999-last year) is garbage.
Just to add, my MZ3 has been getting a steady 30-31 mpg since new, it's much nicer inside and to drive than it's price would have you believe.
I would be careful on that, my boss has the Prius with ESP and the braking system, he's trading it in after three months. His wife and newborn went through a stoplight twice now, absolutely no brakes. If you goolge it you will find others with the same issue. Dealer denies, but people are getting seriously hurt in them.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 02-01-2008, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WI wide body View Post
One of my neighbors was telling me that he gets a legitimate 40 MPG with his VW diesel.

On the other hand, it appears that our ever patriotic oil campanies and the government is rewarding the diesel drivers since after he mentioned it I noticed that deisel costs more than premium unleaded.

BTW can one of our resident oil experts tell us why diesel does cost more than premium gasoline?
The beetle TDI i used to have did 45 mpg on HWY10 going to work constantly at 75mph no AC. This was measured using the trip odometer and top off method so it's accurate. It was also modded with larger injectors, chipped with more boost, and had a bigger clutch to handle all the extra torque. If it wasn't for the stupid expensive parts, the terrible build quality inside, and the use of proprietary fluids i would have kept it.
Side note, if you do buy a late model VW diesel, stay away from the PD diesels. They require a very expensive motor oil or they destroy camshafts, the 99-2003 TDI's use a standard diesel pump and don't have that problem. Also stay away from automatics, the manuals last a lifetime if you change there fluid but the autos are known to grenade and are 5k new not including labor. Lastly don't get the beetle chassis TDI, or when you try to repair the damn thing, the clearances under the hood are so tight you'll have a lot of new scares on your hands. The Jetta/Golf platform has lots more room.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
I would be careful on that, my boss has the Prius with ESP and the braking system, he's trading it in after three months. His wife and newborn went through a stoplight twice now, absolutely no brakes. If you goolge it you will find others with the same issue. Dealer denies, but people are getting seriously hurt in them.
I've never owned one, just recommending it based on his common driving area (the city). Thanks for the heads up though.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastredsc View Post
I've never owned one, just recommending it based on his common driving area (the city). Thanks for the heads up though.
Yea, sorry to quote your post. I was just shocked when my boss called me from the dealership today. I thought he had a one off issue until we googled it.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 02-01-2008, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mikester
We've had a prius since 2005, it replaced my Xterra. I do radio control airplanes and it is actually easier for me to transport them in the prius than the Xterra with the way the rear seats fold down. I can even fit an 80" wing in there which I couldn't do in the Xterra really (not and drive at the same time).

Gets great mileage - almost 50mpg mixed use and so far at about 30k miles it hasn't been in the shop for anything. I change the oil myself and it takes about 10 minutes. I'm due for tires though...

I heart Boobies
Old 02-01-2008, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Fuel in Japan:
High octane: 91 -- 157/L
regular octane: 88 -- 147/L
diesel: 127/L

lolo, 30 yen off for diesel users.

subarus over here have bad reputations: oil leaks, a thingy a mig bearing problem, and low gas mileage:
5-7 km/L for turbos, 8-11 km/L for non turbos.

yes, prius
yes, most hondas
yes, surprisingly the family Nissans too.

GTR skyline gets about 6 km/L
diesel Surf about 6-8 km/L

my grand cherrokee was getting 7 km/L, my older regular cherrokee only 5 km/L ( I now drive a stepwagn by honda and get about 9 km/L)

diesel golf gets about 20 something km/L

I want a turbo diesel rabbit

1982 SC -- US import it seems ... weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 02-01-2008, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: