Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Keep the disco. Yes it gets horrible MPG but then other cars seem like crap in comparison. Our 03 D2 is the most comfortable/pleasing vehicle we've ever owned...and that includes my 911. Resale on any suv, especially a LR, is absolutely terrible. You'll lose more money than you can ever recoup in gas savings. Keep the Disco and pick up a cheap used commuter...or better a motorcycle.

Seriously, if the sky is the limit $$$ wise there is no other car we'd rather have than the Disco. Not a Range Rover, Navigator, Ferrari, 959 (sorry Wayne), nothing. They are very much like a 911, loaded with character, unique, and competent in their domain. Just throw a piece of cardboard under it in the garage to catch the oil drips... Did I say they are very much like a 911...

Old 02-01-2008, 10:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoolenaar View Post
Keep the disco. Yes it gets horrible MPG but then other cars seem like crap in comparison. Our 03 D2 is the most comfortable/pleasing vehicle we've ever owned...and that includes my 911. Resale on any suv, especially a LR, is absolutely terrible. You'll lose more money than you can ever recoup in gas savings. Keep the Disco and pick up a cheap used commuter...or better a motorcycle.
Ours has been great....luck of the british draw.
I just think the future is here and SUVs have become dinosaurs.
I would like to leave it parked but that doesn't make much sense to me. My wife is already snarly at the 2 911s.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastredsc View Post
The beetle TDI i used to have did 45 mpg on HWY10 going to work constantly at 75mph no AC. This was measured using the trip odometer and top off method so it's accurate. It was also modded with larger injectors, chipped with more boost, and had a bigger clutch to handle all the extra torque. If it wasn't for the stupid expensive parts, the terrible build quality inside, and the use of proprietary fluids i would have kept it.
Side note, if you do buy a late model VW diesel, stay away from the PD diesels. They require a very expensive motor oil or they destroy camshafts, the 99-2003 TDI's use a standard diesel pump and don't have that problem. Also stay away from automatics, the manuals last a lifetime if you change there fluid but the autos are known to grenade and are 5k new not including labor. Lastly don't get the beetle chassis TDI, or when you try to repair the damn thing, the clearances under the hood are so tight you'll have a lot of new scares on your hands. The Jetta/Golf platform has lots more room.

My wife has an 04 TDI with the PD motor we averaged about 50 MpG traveling to NY at 75-80 MPH

Oil change with the correct spec oil and filter is only $50 every 10,000 miles and takes about 30 minutes of my time.

58,000 miles and the only problem we had was a faulty temp sender.

My brother has a 99 1/2 TDI with 180,000 miles and never left him stranded and has the original clutch.

www.tdiclub.com is a good resource.
05 Jetta GLI
Old 02-02-2008, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nut11 View Post
Honda Civic HX (entry level version)? 40 something per gal combined, I think? Not a hybrid. Well built.

87 blk coupe
Yup, long as you don't let a water pump or timing belt go, those hondas will run. The distributor will wear out at about 300,000 miles. Tough to beat for a commuter. Miata is RWD and gets good mileage. My brother likes his Mazda 3 better than my GS-R, and it is a barn in there when you fold the seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hytem View Post
Anybody know of a hybrid with a stick shift? Seems like they're all automatic.
I believe all the hybrid systems control the transmission for you. Some of the older ones have funky regenerative braking, which is not bad on newer systems(Hugh, howzit?). Does the Tesla have an automatic? That would be sort of a cool commuter, maybe electric 914, how far you gotta go?

Last edited by Tobra; 02-02-2008 at 07:00 AM..
Old 02-02-2008, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hytem View Post
Anybody know of a hybrid with a stick shift? Seems like they're all automatic.
Why would you want to shift an electric motor? From what I understand the gas engine is only shifted in when the vehicle speed is up in its torque curve.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Registered

The Honda Insight is manual...I drove one from Ohio to NYC when they first came out...Pretty cool car, but only a two seater.
EX - 1979 Porsche 911SC TARGA
EX - 1976 BMW 2002
Old 02-02-2008, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Registered

Review from Cartalk:

http://www.cartalk.com/content/testdrives/Reviews/honda-insight-2001.html

EX - 1979 Porsche 911SC TARGA
EX - 1976 BMW 2002
Old 02-02-2008, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan79brooklyn View Post
The Honda Insight is manual...I drove one from Ohio to NYC when they first came out...Pretty cool car, but only a two seater.
Do they still make a hybrid like that that is just an electric assist?
Old 02-02-2008, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Marano Jr View Post
944s and 924s very cool great value but what kind of mileage?
I used to have a 944 Turbo- 30 mpg on the way to the track, less than 10 while on the track. Then back to 30 mpg on the way back home.

I also had a 944 S2. Much better daily driver than the turbo- Low-end torque, no turbo lag, and much friendlier gearing. The Turbo is geared for the autobahn- Very tall ring & pinion.

The S2 didn't have the same gas mileage as the turbo, but it's awfully hard not to drive the turbo hard, dropping the mileage back down.

We'll see before too long how the 2.5 litre S does on gas....
Old 02-02-2008, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Somebody mentioned a quick warmup gas engine in a hybrid.

I have a Boxster with an on-board computer monitoring mpg continuously, and I can tell you the most gas is wasted getting the engine warm. Very inefficient. Once the engine is warm, no matter how you drive, you get 25-30 mpg around town and 35 mpg on the highway. The cold starts are a killer, for short trips.
'87 300Z ***
'80 BMW 320i ****
Old 02-02-2008, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM2J2B
"The first cars were introduced in 1939 and sold for under $350, and weighed less than 1000 pounds. Some of the innovations of later Crosleys included the first car with disk brakes, slab sides, overhead cam engines in an inexpensive car, and a motor made from stamped sheet metal parts. Using a concept used to make some aircraft engines, the CoBra motor was brazed in a furnace and weighed only 133 pounds,producing 26 HP.
Some models got 50 MPG.
One of the 1948 models was called the Sport Utility though it was not a hulking suburban assault vehicle. "

Old 02-02-2008, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: