Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Custom User Title

33 now

in 10 years;
The plan is to pay off my mortage by the time Im 40, stretch goal is to paid it off in 5 years
Once thats paid off I intend to buy a place at the ski hill or beach to rent out and vacation at.

Kids will be 15 and 12 so education savings will become more of a focus.
Retirement still at least 10+ years out so still saving for that.
I sincerley hope that I am still kayaking, snowboarding, racing and doing all the things I love.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

in 10yrs (45) i'd like to be:

-In practice for myself (CPA)
-Accepting offers on the sale of my property management company (barely off the ground right now)
-Doing 5-7 DE's per year and autocrossing about the same.
-Restoring an early 911 w/ my son
-Traveling to two or three major road races each year (Rolex, ALMS, etc) w/ my son
-Shooting cinamon teal and pintails in S. America once every other year w/ my son

If item 1 works out well (and it should) the rest should follow fairly easily.
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarr View Post
your 10 year plan:

Crack and whores
Well that didn't take long, at lunch the crack dealer ripped me off and the whore stole my wallet, I'm done, back to work I guess..
Twinplug, head work, case savers, rockers arms, etc.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Canadian Member

Garage
10 Year plans are awesome! Everyone should have one!

Current 10 Year Plan (57):
- Living in new, custom built lakehome across the road from the golf course.
Home will have triple attached garage and triple detached with suite above.
Two sets of golf carts, mine and our guests with brand new clubs, ready to go.
New dock with floating living room and boat moorage
Boat and two seados for summer fun. 4 snow mobiles for winter fun.
- Winter get-away condo somewhere hot, but in same time zone, not too far. Arizona?
- Winter ski chalet at local ski hill for ski/sled holiday get-aways
- Dabbling in work related markets part-time, plan to stay work active forever, home based
- Residual income from commercial property investments
- Lots of time with family and friends, morning coffee with my wife everyday.

Dats da plan Stan!
Old 02-06-2008, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
JW Apostate

I'll be 50.

KT
'74 914-6 2.6 SS #746
'01 Boxster
Old 02-06-2008, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I like Nostatic's plan. I'm seriously looking into getting a place overseas when I can afford to do it. China would be great fi I could live without guns and Porsches. I would never think about driving there. Otherwise, Switzerland is looking good. Gun, great roads, scenery, super clean and near everything else in Europe.

We're far from the point of no return in this country. But the current crop of politicians and the lack of term limits are not encouraging. If I saw some hope of things turning around, I wouldn't think of leaving. Every country gets the government it deserves and I don't feel like I deserve what I'm getting.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
least common denominator

For all of you thinking of fleeing America you better check on immigration policies... I don't know first hand but I have been told most of the desirable places don't accept foreigners with open arms (legally or socially).

Mexico is nice but being kidnapped and held for ransom doesn't float my boat... and if you think America is corrupt... well need I say more.

Again, I have been told Australia/New Zealand take a hard, hard, very hard look at anyone wanting to immigrate.

My ten year plan, in ten years sell or rent out my So Cal home, take that money and my state pension and move to Kauai, buy a small business with on site living accommodations for myself, augment my income by playing bass in local band and/or doing handyman work.

Aloha!
A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Dog-faced pony soldier

Garage
I've looked at Australia and NZ. Both are difficult, but not impossible. Australia in particular has a shortage of skilled/educated individuals in certain "high demand" fields and weights your application if you have training or documented skill in those areas (fortunately, I fit this profile). They use a point system based on things like your age, education level, training, etc. and those with higher scores are given preference.

The biggest thing working against me is my age. They (obviously) want people coming there to be younger and therefore able to contribute/pay taxes into their system for longer, but it certainly isn't disqualifying in and of itself.

I'm sure being independently wealthy wouldn't hurt either.

Black Cars Matter
Old 02-06-2008, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
I did the math on New Zealand a few years ago. They have a point system for immigration. If I had a job offer down there, they would take me given my skill set, age/background/etc. I actually have a standing offer for a lectureship down there, but would need to find more serious funding to make it happen.

I've thought about Hawaii, but COL is out of site there. Worse than CA.

As for Asia I'm working on trying to get work-related projects online. If you have those types of connections I think getting clearance to have a place there is pretty easy. We just missed a project in Korea, but now China is interested so we're pursuing that. And I'm looking for opportunities in Vietnam. Cambodia and Thailand are other possibilities. Malaysia/Indonesia is a little unstable and not sure that I'd want to hang there. China would need to be someplace more towards the south I think. Maybe in one of the new cities they are going to build that will (hopefully) be fairly green.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
New kid in town

In 2018:
I'll turn 50.
My youngest (step-son) will be graduating high school.
My oldest (son) will be 26 and my second (daughter) will be 25, so there is a good chance I'll be a g-pa.
I will have had two years without paying child-support.

I plan to really be enjoying life in 10 years.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered Loser

I'm just trying to get through today. Ugh.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Seldom Seen Member

Am I going to be alive in ten years? Sheesh.

Got nachos?
Old 02-06-2008, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Gon fix it with me hammer

Garage
resit marriage another 10 years
drive the snot out of my now rallyfied 944S, till i get another 911 with 2.8SS ish engine and then drive the snot out of that one
eat well
take care of my younger sister
get rich
blow all the money on hookers and blow, so i don't have to change my plan for the next 10 years... call me lazy if you want, i just don't think it's practical to always want more, you can always keep climbing up , if you regulary jump back down again... res ipsa loquitor
Old 02-06-2008, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

If Hillary gets elected, I can kiss all my hard earned money goodbye and watch the country get overrun with lazy slobs who get free healthcare.

Finland here I come.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
Malaysia (Indonesia) is a little unstable and not sure that I'd want to hang there.
What do you base this on? Is it mainly the Indonesia part or do you feel Malaysia is also??
Old 02-06-2008, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
mainly Indonesia but a partner of mine just moved here from Panang. It isn't over the top out of control, but the vibe is there, and being so close to Indonesia it isn't immune. The good thing is that the gov has made strides towards cleaning things up.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 1fastredsc
In a year i hope to graduate, then start my career. Hopefully before the 10 years are up i'll own a home, and can finally afford to have a toy again (maybe a used cayman).
Old 02-06-2008, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Quote:
mainly Indonesia but a partner of mine just moved here from Panang. It isn't over the top out of control, but the vibe is there, and being so close to Indonesia it isn't immune. The good thing is that the gov has made strides towards cleaning things up.
Was he born there? My g/f is from Malaysia and would like to go back sometime. Is the main problem from Islam fundamentalists?
Old 02-06-2008, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
She. Not born there but family is from there and has lived there before. The problem was people blowing up bombs

Malaysia isn't terrible yet, but the area in general has some issues with the fundamentalists and insurgency.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Quote:
The problem was people blowing up bombs
Well that is not a plus is it. The g/f is from the K/L area and that area seems to be safer but that can change at any time. Other than the bombings did she enjoy her time there?

Old 02-06-2008, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: